WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken tooth eating my gun fund

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I have had only one dentist tell me when we talked root canals......most of them fail very soon but they are good money makers. Your choice and if you get one done I hope your in the percentage that gets lasting ones. One dentist I saw wanted to do 15k work of work to me.....with the complete knowledge that sooner rather than later I'd need dentures.

Moderator Emeritus

For you maybe, every one I have had out required surgery because the root are hooked into the jawbone. $500 a pop

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Extractions are cheap.
    It's a guarantee it'll never hurt again once the gum heals. If the wife wouldn't pitch a hissy fit, I'd have ALL mine pulled today....what's left of them.

In Remembrance

The thing that turned me off of the implant is the long wait between extraction and the implant. Add the higher cost and I'll go with the root canal. I have a crown on a front tooth that was broken in high school football that lasted 18 years, was replaced and lasted 20 years, was replaced and has gone 11 years and still going. Here's hoping I can get that kind of milage out of this one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I'm having my forth implant tomorrow afternoon. It is the only way to go. Bridge work endangers the teeth it is attached to, has to be replaced in seven to ten years, and costs the same as an implant. The implant is permanent and becomes part of your jawbone. What's not to like but the cost? And with my diverticulosis I really can't go without teeth very well.
    Don't know about the 7-10 year lifespan. I had one when I was in the Navy and it lasted for over 30 years. I ended up replacing it because I was having a couple other teeth crowned and figured I might as well do a complete overhaul while I was at it.

Boolit Grand Master

I had six root canals done that have lasted for about 25 years so far without
    issue. If they are done properly, IME, they are nearly a lifetime fix. I had severe
    accident trauma to some teeth and still have all of them over 45 years later, although some
    have been root canaled, as mentioned. All my original teeth at age 63, no replacements
    on the horizon. Two crowns, one cosmetic on the front and one gold one on a
    wisdom tooth - I have ALL my teeth, including wisdom teeth. Not a chance I would
    have one pulled if there was any way to fix it.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

When I was in the Navy, I was originally designated for subs. They said that they needed to remove my wisdom teeth (even though nothing was wrong with them) prior to my going on subs since they did not have dentists on subs and they wanted to ensure that people would not need to get them removed while on patrol. I asked them if they also amputated legs to prevent someone from having a broken leg. Stupid rule... A couple of shots of Xylocaine and they yanked them in one sitting. I really would have preferred to have been knocked out for that experience.

The movie, "Little Shop of Horrors", comes to mind every time I have to go to a dentist.

Boolit Master
    I spent a ton of money on my teeth through the years. Had them all pulled out anyway and got false teeth 20 yrs ago. Not a bit of problems. Wish I would have done it to begin with.

Boolit Master
    More than a few of my friends go to Costa Rica for dental work. Most of the dentists graduated from USA dental schools and they will do a implant in one day from start to finish for around a $1,000. A great way to mix a vacation with saving a huge amount of money.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master

I hate you guys, after reading this I broke one Friday night...

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear that, good luck on the fix.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    More than a few of my friends go to Costa Rica for dental work. Most of the dentists graduated from USA dental schools and they will do a implant in one day from start to finish for around a $1,000. A great way to mix a vacation with saving a huge amount of money.
    Humm, with my insurance I paid $950 and was done in less than an hour. No travel expenses except a little gas. I think I'll stick with this deal.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, me too after reading this. Went in for a cleaning, found decay, went back in to clean it out, need a new crown. Went back yesterday for my temp, $1,129. I could have bought a nice BFR for that amount of money and had plenty left over. I was jinxed

Forget the tooth and buy the gun. I have not had teeth since 1984 and get on just fine. Can't eat nuts but every thing else gets chomped to my great satisfaction and I have guns.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Forget the tooth and buy the gun. I have not had teeth since 1984 and get on just fine. Can't eat nuts but every thing else gets chomped to my great satisfaction and I have guns.
    An man after my own heart!!!!!!!!!!!!

Figure it this way if you bought the gun in 44 mag instead of 357 and shoot max loads you probably would have knocked the tooth out anyway. So the tooth is gone one way or the other but at least you'd still have the gun.............. LOL and you can always use the but of the gun to tenderize your steaks so you can eat them...................

Boolit Master
    I Just had a canine fall out! $600.00 root canal, $780.00 crown. Came out while chewing a bite of Tuna sandwich!
    How's that hope and change working for you?

In Remembrance

I had the root canal done today and it was painless and still is 7 hours later. The nerve was already dead and he removed all bad material, put in a post and pin, and made a temporary crown. $1015 out the door. Not the bad experience I had been told it would be, except in my wallet.

Boolit Grand Master

All I can say is that dental insurance is well worth it IMHO.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    WOW.... glad i have insurance.... $22 a month for the entire family of 5. no deductible and 2 free cleanings a year.

Boolit Master

I had dental insurance with a company I worked for perhaps 20 years ago. My experience was that even with it, the prices were still ridiculous.