Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How sweet it is...............

On Heaven's Range

How sweet it is...............

Been a long dry spell.... a VERY long dry spell.

Around February 1, 2012, I was hospitalized with heart failure. That was also the last day of my working life, wrapping up over fifty years of gold-mining. I was well past normal retirement age, but still doing a skilled and well-paid job with no intentions of quitting.... then, BOOM.

A long series of severe medical events, and a divorce, kept me from following my cast-bullet hobby..... until YESTERDAY.

Yes indeed, it was 31 months since I'd cast a bullet, until NVCurmudgeon got me set up in his garage with a herd of my moulds and the RCBS furnace.

So, at long last, yesterday I cast an estimated 1500-plus bullets in six different designs. All were in wheelweight alloy, except some LEE .45-405 HB which were cast in almost-pure lead. Those Lees will allow me to fire my new-to-me 1884 Trapdoor rifle for the first time, after owning it for several months.

The whole session was a great pleasure, and left me with enough bullets to put some of my long-idle guns beck in active service. I made bullets in .45RN, .38 SWC, 311359 for the Carbine, 311466 for general .30-caliber use, .44 LEE 200s, and the previously-mentioned .45-70 HB design.

Time hangs heavy on my hands, cooped-up in my apartment in a wheelchair and with no personal transportation to get around the city. Having these bullets on-hand will keep me occupied for a considerable amount of time, sizing/lubing/loading and then getting out to actually shoot them.

The world is a brighter place for me today. APPRECIATE what you have and what you do, and the people with whom you share the blessings. One never knows when things may come to a screeching halt.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Moderator Emeritus

Amen, Bruce! I had kidney failure last year, and am recuperating from back surgery now. There's a REASON we're supposed to stop and smell the roses regularly, and it's because we're MORTAL, an' ain't goan be here forever! Even dumb ol' country boys like me can get that when it's put to us in such a manner. Good to see you back "in action."

Boolit Master

Very sorry to hear you went through such a bad time in your life. Glad you made it through the storm and are on the mend. Better days ahead I'm sure. God Bless
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Well done sir.

31 months is a long time away from something you love to do.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master
    "KBO !!!", per Mr. Winston Churchill. Keep Buggering On. Hard to hear about your troubles but glad to see the spirit.
    Best wishes, 725

Boolit Buddy
    Glad to hear things are coming around Bruce. Just remember God helps those who help themselves. Hey bud we are all here for you. Take care my friend and have fun.

NVCurmudgeon thanks for helping and being there for a fellow Caster. You are a Gentleman and a Scholar.

Keep your head up Bruce! At December 26 in 2012 they took my whole colon out, afterwards I think, they have been a little too radical in cutting because I did not have cancer as they feared at first, but the story ends in that I now have a stoma for the rest of my life which is annoying quite a lot because it keeps me busy all the day and also a good part of the nights to empty that plastic bag. Still I am a member of a shooting club, cast my own bullets and shoot pigeons foxes and wild boar. Only thing I cannot do anymore is gutting a boar because bending over too much causes leaking of the system that does not follow the contours of my body when bending. There indeed is a life after 40 years of hard work for us, only one has not to look at what is lost but find out what has been saved for us and explore those things!
    Simplifying is mostly the best way of improving

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Glad to hear things are coming around for you and hope that you continue to improve. Being laid up is no fun - been there myself a number of times. The important thing is to not give up but keep plugging along. Your casting session must have been a "slice of heaven" - nothing more enjoyable than casting and seeing your end product. Hang in there and continue to get better. It's the simple things like doing what we enjoy that i what is really important in life - unfortunately, too many folks take life for granted and don't take time to "smell the roses". Take care of yourself, continue to get better and know that a lot of folks here are thinking of you!

Boolit Grand Master

Hang tough, and hang in there Bruce!!!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Here's to a brighter future Bruce!

Boolit Master
    Bruce,
    Thanks for letting us know what's been going on.
    As you can see, telling your story helps others to appreciate what they have, and
    recognize what a gift every day is. The very best to you,
    -Jesse

Boolit Master
    Bruce--"ol Pard", glad to see you're finally pouring the silver stream again! --Shuz
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Best to you sir.

Be Well.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master

Wish I could come and take you out shootin' Bruce! Hang in there. You have a lot more support than you know.

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear of your tribulations, Bruce, but Fecal Matter Happens - and we should be flexible and resilient to deal with it - and you are. So there. Press on, mate.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    All the best to you, sir.

Boolit Master

Good to have you BACK!
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Banned

woo-hoo hopefully we will be seeing some range reports soon.

for the new guy's.
    Bruce does some awesome write-ups.
    just reading his work will save you a lot of trials when you decide to work with the same or a similar rifle/handgun.

Boolit Grand Master
    31 months? And I've been bellyachin about 3 months, Bruce, here's hoping things continue to improve.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Bruce,

Glad to hear you are doing better and getting back to casting. Great choice for the trapdoor boolit, too.
    I hope things go smoother in the future and you can get to the range and send those boolits downrange.

Best wishes, sir, always enjoy your posts. Keep them coming, your experience is valued.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.