RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Much Ammo Do You Stockpile?

Boolit Master

How Much Ammo Do You Stockpile?

Really the question is as much about filling philosophical needs as hard and fast needs. I don't stockpile very much at all. I shoot in my backyard and generally only load what I'm shooting at the moment. Occasionally, a neighbor and I will get together to shoot, and more often than not, I will have to load some blammo before we shoot. This page, http://www.awrm.org/ has some useful guidelines, but they are a bit beyond what I think my needs are, and in that may well be the crux of the question, how does one give an honest evaluation to determine what their needs are. Perhaps I just answered my own question; decide what you would like to have on hand, (use whatever criteria you like for that (war, civil unrest, zombies) any ideas for what that criteria should be?) add to it what you'd like to be able to grab up and take to the range, and then add some figure to account for ones laziness to replenish that drain on the stash 'cause you don't feel like loading today... Thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    1000 rounds per firearm stockpiled (10,000 per machine gun). Carry no more than you can swim with.

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on the caliber. The easiest to shoot have the most! I have probably 1,000 rds of 45ACP loaded, mostly because I pick up the brass free at the range. On the other hand, the 405Win has maybe a hundred loaded at any one time. When I am working up a load, not many. When I have settled on a load then what brass I have tends to get loaded.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    There is no such thing as enough ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    I kinda went with the 1000 round minimun too. Well kinda.

Boolit Master
    I like to load in two thousand round batches for my pistol rounds. 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. When I get down to five hundred rounds, I start a new batch of two thousand. These are mainly shooting inventory, not a stockpile.

I cast the same way, I'll have at least two thousand boolits of each caliber ready to go on the bench. Right now I have five thousand H&H #275 09-125-SWCBB, two thousand plus H&G # 309 09-125-TCPB, two thousand Saeco 38S-145-SWCBB, two thousand 40-145-TCPB, Two thousand H&G #68 45-185-SWCBB waiting on the bench. The 45s will wait for awhile as I just loaded up a batch of 2,400. Currently loading nines.

Of course I still have my Magma Lube Master that cranks out 4,000 boolits an hour and my casting is done with six and eight cavity molds.
    Last edited by casterofboolits; 08-02-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master
    I don't stockpile that much complete ammo - maybe a hundred rounds per caliber - mostly because I play with loads all the time fixing things the "ain't broke" (a bad habit hard to break). As long as I have plenty of primers and powder of choice, I don't see much reason to overdo it especially since, like you, I have ranges at home and shoot all the time.

Boolit Master

I am with Wayne Smith. It depends. I have 1000's of rounds of 40 and 223, most of it accumulated during my law enforcement days. I just don't shoot either caliber very often. 45-70, 375 H&H, and most other rifle rounds, I keep maybe 20 on hand. 308, 9mm, 45 ACP, 500 or so for "just in case".

Boolit Grand Master
    Most of my stored ammo is in pieces.......
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

if the box i'm storing them in is full i got enough if i need more to fill it i don't.
    conversly if i have more brass i need a bigger container or more of them.
    same with boolits.
    if i have enough to fill all the brass i have then i got enough, if i don't i make some more.
    if i wanna experiment i either pick out a lot of brass to work with or get another one.

Moderator Emeritus

Numquam satis
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I generally keep less than 500 empty cases of any caliber at home. Once I get to 500 empty cases it is time to assemble some more ammo. I have buckets of cast boolits covered with Saran Wrap in the home awaiting reloading. I generally lube and size the boolits immediately after casting as they tend to harden some over time and make lubing and sizing more difficult after a week or so. I shoot a lot of calibers so I have a lot of ammo stored in my home. I run 8 presses and two lubers to process all these. I have 3 Dillon Square Deal's dedicated to .38 Spcl, .44 Spcl. and .45 ACP. My Dillon 550B is set up for .41 Maq and my XL 650 for 9 MM. I run small batches thru my Lee Classic Turret Press, Lyman T press and Rockchucker. My only hobby other than shooting and reloading is messing with my guitar and camera.

Right now it is about 108 degrees on my front porch and I am not about to go to the range until September as that only decent time to go shooting is as about dawn. I am not an early riser. At the present time I have buckets of .38's, 9 mm's, 223's and .45 ACP's stored in my ex's garage along with a large stash of ingots and primers. Recently I have been intrigued with 45 Colt, 41 Mag and .44 Special revolvers. They are such a blast to shoot. I have a goodly collection of Ruger BH's and my first Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt is on the way.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Numquam satis

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'm with the OP.
    Normally less than 50 rounds on hand. I usually load for the situation.

lemme clarify that though..... cast boolit ammo.

Commercial ammo is a different category altogether.
    Dove season is a' comin' up!
    Last edited by Beagle333; 07-26-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: clarity
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

lots and lots
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Master
    Sir! SIR! I do not stockpile ANYTHING! I must go to town each day just to procure provisions for that particular day! If I load or buy ammo I shoot it up immediately! Nope no stockpile here!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marvinboggs.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	111771

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master

I normally do a minimum of two to three year's worth at my normal shooting rate.

Never enough...
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

I plead the fifth

Boolit Grand Master

I lost all my ammo and firearms in a tragic boating accident this morning.