RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: hk45 bore dia?

Boolit Master

hk45 bore dia?

anyone has measured the bore diamenter of an hk45? (micrometer measurements please, no calipers)

my ruger sr1911 is .4514, and my lee .451 die so far is enlarged to .4518 (from .4506), which isnt enough to prevent leading and shoot well.

before enlarging it more, I will probably slug my hk45 when I get it next week or so, and then enlarge .001 over the hk45.

Just wondering what your hk45 slugs at, and if it shoots well with boolits .001 over.

Boolit Grand Master
    What you're asking for........is groove diameter. Commonly misstated. Bore diameter is the land to land measurement.

The term "bore diameter" has a precise meaning, and it's not what you're asking for. Sorry for the rant. I see this so often I have to speak up once in a while. Now back to your topic.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    What you're asking for........is groove diameter. Commonly misstated. Bore diameter is the land to land measurement.

The term "bore diameter" has a precise meaning, and it's not what you're asking for. Sorry for the rant. I see this so often I have to speak up once in a while. Now back to your topic.
    I don't really care.... I think that bore diameter is a nice way to say it.

Boolit Master
    Many (myself included) get the wording for the two mixed up. Bore diameter and groove diameter.

I know when you are measuring a bore slug, you want to measure the outside groove diameter typically to find out what size you want to cast. There are times when knowing the bore diameter can be useful as well. /shrug

I've said it the wrong way quite a few times as well. Most folks knew what I meant, but I appreciated the correction. Because of it I have learned to use the correct wording most of the time.

It's hard to get the right answer, if you are asking the wrong question.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master

"bore diameter is a nice way to say it" ??? LOL! Hope you are kidding.

Sorry, words actually have meanings. "bore diameter" has a specific meaning, and if you MEAN "groove diameter", you
    can't communicate that concept by saying "bore diameter" no matter how "nice" you may think it is.

if you ask for bore diameter, don't expect to get a useful number for sizing boolits to fit the barrel properly.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    Hello..never slugged mine, but my Mark 23 and USP COMPACT 45 shoot.452-3 without a hint of leading using range scrap and 50/50 lube...

Boolit Grand Master
    Knowing the bore diameter can be and is extremely useful, especially with a bore riding bullet but that's more commonly applied to rifles than pistols so is less than relevant here. What people should ask for is barrel or groove diameter if that's what they mean to say. If you want to know bore diameter, ask for bore diameter, and don't be upset when people take you literally, as you asked for something very specific......and it wasn't what you meant.

It helps to know the difference, as often the distinction matters.

I would suggest to the OP to take the path of least resistance, size to .452" and see how it shoots.

Boolit Master
    Another question.

Since my sr1911 is .4514, should I make sure that I enlarge to .4525, because it still leads at .4518

All three of my USP 45s measure .439" bore diameter. The major diameter of all three is .451".
    They ain't got grooves.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    .001-2 over Groove is the guide ,providing the round chambers freely.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    so I guess that .4525 will be the start

I size to .453" and it doesn't make the cases too fat to feed.

Boolit Master

My USP, USPc, HK45, and HK45ct, all shoot .452 bullets (thousands of them) with no leading. 50/50 alloy and Recluse lube is the ticket. Haven't tried powdercoating yet but it's on the agenda. I believe that the lower BHN is key for the polygonal barrels.

Boolit Master
    great cant wait to try it. I am SO SICK of cleaning lead I am just about to sell all my stuff if the .4525 boolits still lead. The .4518 still do. even powdercoated.

I use a 200 grain boolit at 1080fps, and even sized to .453 it is gas checked. There are folks who will tell you you don't "need" GC, but they sure put an end to lead fouling in polygon with +P loads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    great cant wait to try it. I am SO SICK of cleaning lead I am just about to sell all my stuff if the .4525 boolits still lead. The .4518 still do. even powdercoated.
    Does this leading affect accuracy noticeably? Some people mistake antimony wash as leading but this "wash" doesn't seem to affect accuracy unless it really builds up...........similar to copper guilding wash in a bore from using jacketed bullets.