MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Browning Model 71 Problem

Boolit Bub

Browning Model 71 Problem

I have a browning model 71 in 348 winchester thats been giving light primer hits, I switched out the hammer spring but that didnt help any. I've believe that it is the inertia firing pin is the problem. I would like to know if any one has suggestions to fix this problem.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum ! !

There's usually three things that can cause your .348's light strikes: there might very well be crud built up in the bolt's FP channel that's retarding FP fall; the mainspring might have lost some power; and/or the rifle might be starting to acquire excessive headspace. ( The .348 headspaces on it's rim)

The first thing I would do (economically) would be to remove the FP from the bolt & flush/brush out the FP hole, then inspect it and the FP for any very small burrs or metallic shards.

If that didn't cure the light strikes, I would add then a thick washer to the rear end of the mainspring, which would (in effect) strengthen the MS by pre-loading it.

The next (more expensive) step would be to have the headspace checked & maybe corrected - which excessive headspace might be corrected by reworking the forward end of both locking lug recess' in the sides of the bolt. (or replacing the locking lugs)

Last edited by pietro; 07-06-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I havent tried the washer method have to do that this weekend, already cleaned out the channel and checked for burrs.

thanks

Boolit Buddy
    If you are worried about the head space, partially resize your case. Back off the resizing die until the case just barely chambers. Load up a few rounds at this setting and see if the light hammer strikes goes away. This has always worked for me on loose 30-30's. You are now head spacing from the bolt face to the shoulder.

If you want to hunt with the partially sized cases just tighten up the sizing die a small amount until the loaded round seats easily but still has a small amount of resistance to closing.

Boolit Bub
    actually pietro's idea pre loading the main spring with a washer solved the problem