Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bright light/concentration/target size ????????

Boolit Master
    That makes me feel better. For a moment there I was scared, very scared...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    That makes me feel better. For a moment there I was scared, very scared...
    If that rifle had a different trigger in it (I.E NOT STOCK) .... I know one guy that could proably do it offhand on a "good day". If I did manage it offhand (NOT BLOODY LIKELY) while I was alone I would not even bother mentioning it. Mentioning some things/topics simply comes at too high a price in certain venues.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Might I ask you to post pictures of the boolits and loaded cartridges please? I do think that the larger and more boring targets are to blame. I once shot a Rossi 357 carbine with the sun high but behind me and got a vertical group of about an inch and a half while the horizontal spread was little more than the boolit diameter (at 100 metres). I put the vertical spread down to the way the sun was glinting on the front sight, making it difficult to discern the sight hight.

As you look at that cartridge in the middle you will see some purple marker (could not get the real marks to show up on camera). As I close the bolt them areas contact the throat and the rifling. The rifling ever so gently engraves the nose, the leed part of the band gets a real light witness ring completely around the boolit and the boolit gets pushed back into the case just enough to totally hide that lube groove and seats the case "crimp" lightly against the bottom of that loobgrooves "roof". This all happens as the boolit gets cammed (I did not say cRammed) into the throat. This method of loading I personally call soft seating, may be the wrong term, but thats what I call it. I do know it not only increases pressure it also increases speed compared to merely using the crimpgroove as designed to be used even though you are technically gaining boiler room.

Boolit Grand Master

Couple things you might consider as time goes by and expenditures don't break the bank is a Timney trigger with side safety and convert it to cock on opening. I have both on my own 1928 Oviedo and they are definitely worth while. If you go the scout scope route take a look at the Burris 2x7 Scout scope. I have one on my FR8 Scout rifle and it is an excellent scope.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 109948Attachment 109949

Banned
    I shot it again tonight same test other than I tried the upside down pyramid at 200. Same basic results even in uuuber overcast and comfortable conditions and it was starting to sprinkle a bit.

I am at the concession point.....this load shot better the last time I shot it...something changed and I think it was me. I am still happy with the 2MOA peeper sight load, but time took away 1/2+ minute.....oh well. Time has the right to steal minutes I guess.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    Whatt you will Nevvveeerrrr get me to admit to that , pay no attention to the guy that looks like me rolling on the floor in that Utube video that was a body double it was not ME.........
    I was talking about my old buddy Mike aka 357Maximum
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I was talking about my old buddy Mike aka 357Maximum

Careful how loud you say some things....some will hold it against ya you know. (no purple)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Careful how loud you say some things....some will hold it against ya you know. (no purple)
    I guess they'll have to get over it!
    Charter Member #148

Banned

Trouble with old eyes is the lens hardens and the muscles can't form it any more. kind of like taking the ring off your variable scope.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Trouble with old eyes is the lens hardens and the muscles can't form it any more. kind of like taking the ring off your variable scope.
    So what you are saying is that they need to invent a Pink Pill for above deck use....kinda like the Purple Pill fixes below deck issues for some ???

Boolit Master
    Went to the local WMA range yesterday. Range is oriented North/South berms at the north end. Stages are under cover of tin roof. I was shooting on the 50 yard range with a Rossi '92 and a 303. Front post was sharp and well defined all morning. Spent the last 30 rounds through the Rossi bouncing a coffee can lid around on the berm. At home, my range is an old logging trail and is well shaded, but at different times of the day one may get anything from well shaded to partly sunny where one is staged. The mixed light is always more difficult, making glare and "double images" on the front sight problematic. When my shady spot is overtaken by the sun, I move. That however is not a solution in the fall when dinner is on the hoof, one must shoot the light ya got. Still it was interesting to get to see the difference a constant shade condition makes on the sight picture.

Boolit Grand Master

Ever see the goofy looking long billed hats with side flaps off the bill that high power shooters use? You're all discussing the reason for those. The old Army/Marine campaign hats were popular in days of your for the same reason; to shade the rear sight and eyes from varying light conditions.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Ever see the goofy looking long billed hats with side flaps off the bill that high power shooters use? You're all discussing the reason for those. The old Army/Marine campaign hats were popular in days of your for the same reason; to shade the rear sight and eyes from varying light conditions.

Larry Gibson
    Yes, but IIRC the bill don't reach out to the front sight, and time has proven to me the problem is the light on the front sigh as much or more than light on the rear. Light in either place is problematic. I have also wondered if this is one of the advantages of scopes. Not only does a scope fool the eye into thinking the target and sight is on the same focal plane, the scope changes how we perceive the light we see. That does not mean that light doesn't have negative effects when using a scope, light from oblique angles is always problematic regardless of sight type, witness sunshades. But I'm convinced that in the end the problem is basically two fold, light and aging eyes. We former we can do some things about, there is as yet to be a fountain of youth, regardless of what fans of ****** might say (With blurred and loss of vision being a side effect, my question becomes "How can you tell"???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    So what you are saying is that they need to invent a Pink Pill for above deck use....kinda like the Purple Pill fixes below deck issues for some ???
    Yeah, it would be great.
    I have floaters in my left eye that make me look for deer when I see movement. Makes for a swivel neck! I have almost none in my right eye. Can't focus either without glasses and even need them for the red dots.
    Been taking I cap vitamins for a while and floaters have decreased but has not changed focus.
    With all the technology, you would think they could soften the lens.
    It really is all it is, muscles cant stretch the lens to shape.
    The more you wear glasses the worse focus gets, lazy muscles.
    I hate glasses, working on the mower, they filled with sweat so I was blind as a bat very fast.
    Cataracts are caused by the sun. Always wear sun glasses and those that wore them all their life will not get cataracts or very little.
    Carol has dry macular degeneration and was put on I caps. It has halted and she reads better without glasses.
    Floaters are busted blood vessels in your eye and scanning woods for deer will show movement where nothing is.
    Need Felix or Ben's Red injected in the lens!

Banned
    I normally hunt with a scope sighted tool, but as of right now at least when I do use an iron sighted venison gathering tool the effects are only an inch or less because of the light/eye issue and my target is 6-8 inches........gonna deer hunt with irons until I cannot. Somethings just is what they is I guess and I ain't putting no "lube" in my eye intentionally yet....mineral oil maybe, but no boolit loob.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Yes, but IIRC the bill don't reach out to the front sight, and time has proven to me the problem is the light on the front sigh as much or more than light on the rear. Light in either place is problematic.............??
    Yup, and have you ever seen the aperture front sights high power shooters use? That eliminates the bill not reaching the front sight and then "(n)either place is problematic"........unless you're shooting service rifle and then you blacken the sights, watch the conditions, pray to the big range master and takes your chances.......

Larry Gibson

Banned

Need to wear a cap either way. Used to be a woman that sold large bill caps at IHMSA shoots, baseball cap was good for me.
    Friend came to shoot my revolvers and had no cap, never seen him with one. He could not see the sights so I had to hold a hunk of cardboard to shade his eyes. Never forget that day. I hear the gun go off and a yell. Turned to see he had the barrel strike his head and the red dot hit his eye. Blood was all over. I asked what he did, said he holds revolvers "easy." Told me he don't like my guns! A cap might have saved him from being laughed at, at work. Black eye for weeks.