MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 300 Blk Out Mold?

More like this one?

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thanks gentlemen this has been an education for me!!! I appreciate all this info,this is "Cast Boolits" web site at it's best! Artful, I appreciate the pics! Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

I should have my 6-cav. mold in a few days and will cast and see what it drops? If it does go all the way to .314 I wonder if you could contact LEE and if they would do anything about it?

Like excess 650 says,maybe sizing to .311 is the answer with this mold. I use WW with a little tin to help fill out so the boolits won't be over hard. This is the same alloy I use to cast my MiHec 4-cav 226 62 gr. GC boolits! These are also sized a couple of thou over bore dia. and shoot very well with IMR-4895!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    More like this one?

I have one of those! A friend gave me a couple "old junk" molds; one was this dirty H&G #20, that is in great shape and casts very nice bullets. It's a little heavy for good supersonic use in the 300 Blackout, but does have about the right nose shape. I powdercoat it and run it in my semi-auto 308 (PTR 91) with full power loads of 4895; it delivers about 2" @ 100yds. Pretty good bullet when powder coated, IMO.

Banned

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mproved-or-Not
    second one down.
    the drive band is angled to match the throat angle into the barrel, this allows it to self align as long as the case is close.
    I wouldn't want it cut much larger than 3105 though.

yondering, You have a good friend indeed.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    second one down.

the drive band is angled to match the throat angle into the barrel, this allows it to self align as long as the case is close.
    I wouldn't want it cut much larger than 3105 though.
    Chamber for 300 blackout

SAAMI spec's

And one of RanchDog's nice pictures of 7.62x39
    je suis charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    And one of RanchDog's nice pictures of 7.62x39
    Other than the blunt nose, the profile of that bullet would be really good in the Blackout. If that nose ogive continued on to a smaller diameter tip (~0.100" or so), it would be just about perfect for feeding from AR mags. I'd guess that would end up around 135-140 grains? It could have conventional lube grooves, that part doesn't matter to me since I powder coat.

Boolit Master

So far, my Ideal 311414HP has shot the best. Powdercoated over a healthy charge of W296.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	104619

This is the 230gr 300 Subsonic bullet next to a 125gr Sierra .308 spitzer and a .224 Hornady 77gr match hpbt.

I can send some out if they'll be loaded and tested sooner than later.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I used to use that 125 spitzer in my .308 garand for hi power matches! Not a bad bullet under 300 yds and cheaper to shoot than the 168 HPBT!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Yondering- the NOE and LEE bullets are alike but the NOE molds I have always cast the advertised diameter- I'm just wanting a .311 bullet to trim down to .310. I have several Lee molds and Lyman molds- the Lymans are often undersized and the Lee lube grooves are too small. The NOE molds are always as advertised.
    Loren

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	104619

This is the 230gr 300 Subsonic bullet next to a 125gr Sierra .308 spitzer and a .224 Hornady 77gr match hpbt.

I can send some out if they'll be loaded and tested sooner than later.
    Unfortunately that 230gr has the same problem as a lot of other bullets used for the blackout - the nose is too fat, and will cause the rounds to pigeon toe in the magazine. (talking AR-15's here. I'm sure it will be great in a bolt or single shot.)

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    That blunt nose might be fine in a bolt or SS 300BO, but isn't gonna feed in an AR. NOE's 311414 looks like a viable option to the Lee 155 and 160s IF we can get enough interest to get them cut!

If you were to modify that Ranchdog to conventional grooves, it wouldn't be too far removed from the NOE 311008 GC.
    I think you missed my point about stretching the nose of that Ranchdog bullet out to a smaller tip. A long ogive starting right at the driving bands is key to AR magazine function; most cast bullet designers are still missing that detail.

NOE's 311414 looks too similar to the Lee 155, IMO, for use in AR15 mags. My Lee 155 casts at the right diameter, that's not a problem, but that bore ride section is. Most of my mags won't hold more than 10-12 rounds and still feed correctly, because they get pigeon toed down in the mag. That happens even in one of my 20 round Pmags with the ribs filed down.

Boolit Master

My Lancer mags feed everything. I always had issues with PMAGS, even after filing the ribs.

R5R - isn't there a thread on the HM-2 someplace? Has anyone made 1 and shot it? I'm thinking of cutting .070 out of the 165C nose for a 140-150ish super. I can run the 165 super with a compressed load. Don't remove ALL the rib in a gen3 Pmag - it is used to hold the spring in place. Just reduce it to where it allows the nose to fit without bulging the mag. The shoulder won't hit it when chambering. Anyone use the D&H 30 mag?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    You've tried this bullet yourself?

Vendor Sponsor

Tja6435
    I would love to truy that 230 grn smooth sided bullet.. Unlubed as I will PC and shoot with 2 days of receiving them..
    have at least 4 different powder combos I can try
    Just let me know ..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Tja6435
    I would love to truy that 230 grn smooth sided bullet.. Unlubed as I will PC and shoot with 2 days of receiving them..
    have at least 4 different powder combos I can try
    Just let me know ..
    At this time I only have the 230gr Blackout bullets already coated with Hi-Tek and sized at .311". I can try to get some time later this week to cast some nekkid ones if absolutely necessary.

Vendor Sponsor

.311 is the dia I use in my blackout Hi tek coated is fine .. I was just trying to make it easier for you
    It will still give us some results to go by
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well I got in my LEE 6-cav. .312-155 R2 and I'll have to say it is a good looking mold! I haven't seen a new LEE mold in a few years but it looks like they have raised the QC a little bit since then!

The proof is in the pudding I guess, so I'll prep it up and see if I can cast a few with it using my mostly WW material. I'm curious how big it will throw?