Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 300 Blk Out Mold?

Boolit Master

Best 300 Blk Out Mold?

Hi,
    I looked for this on a search and didn't find to much really? What is the go to mold for this cartridge to use with a AR-15. I have some H-110 and AA-1680 I need to burn!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

Several people are reporting good luck with the Lee 312-155. I have some loaded up with H-110 at 15.0 and 15.3 grains. I have not had a chance to get to the range though.
    Last edited by Finster101; 05-07-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info! I have a Lee 312-185R. The other mold is the NOE 316299 for my MN rifle? What are you guys sizing to? If .311 is possible I might be able to use the NOE 316299 as it's a better mold than the LEE of course!

Could be time for another mold???
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

this would depend upon what you want the 300 to do. I enjoy casting with my NOE 247 gr mold for subsonic loads

Best for what is the question
    Three I favor
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...dbcnpoul31gtp6

I've been eyeing this one but haven't ordered

This is good for my SKS and 300 whisper

for Subsonic

and lots have had good luck with

I'm thinking of learning to powder coat so I can push the lighter ones to higher velocities
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thanks fellas! Well, I don't care about subsonic. I want to run as fast as I can! I'm still curious what you guys are sizing to? I'm hoping I can size to 311 and run!

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks fellas! Well, I don't care about subsonic. I want to run as fast as I can! I'm still curious what you guys are sizing to? I'm hoping I can size to 311 and run!
    That will depend upon your barrel and chamber now won't it? - .312 works for mine but your mileage may vary as mine chamber isn't SAAMI spec.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee 312-155 2R and I find it fairly accurate. The main issue I have is that it doesn't cast round boo lets and when I resize then to .310 it sorta erases the lube groove, which started out pretty shallow. I also use the NOE 311-155 FN which has better lube grooves, drops beautiful .311 round bullets. I size it to .310 and have to seat it a little deep or else the nose hits the lands. I'm glad that NOE is thinking on a 155 gr spitzer.
    Loren

I'm having good results with the Lee 312-155-2r, powder coated or LLA, sized .311, over 15.7 gn of w296 or h110. Pistol length port, 14.5 in barrel. I'm still playing with my OAL and crimp to get it just right. I'm using AL checks from a guy on the board, 338????. I've been lusting over some of the group buy molds listed lately, but can't afford it right now. I get good accuracy from the Lee .309-170, but have feed issues due to the larger meplat.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well..I don't know what specs my barrel has because I don't have it yet! I'm building another AR-15 and thought I would go to the blk out as I have all this powder I could use and plenty of 223 brass.

Thanks for the real world info! Just trying to figure if I could go with what I have for molds already?

Boolit Buddy
    I got this one in the original Ed Harris design:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Harris-Design
    I had to play with the OL because of the tight chamber and when I PC them they are a little fat in the nose.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    How does it feed?

Boolit Master
    I like this boolit in my blackout much better than the Lee 155. It also seems to be quite accurate. With the lee the fat nose has gave me some issue.
    Only thing on the Ed Harris design is that it did not feed reliable on my Blackout when I had the DPMS receiver, the flat nose hit the receiver. So I change to a receiver with M-4 feed ramps to get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    I got this one in the original Ed Harris design:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Harris-Design
    I had to play with the OL because of the tight chamber and when I PC them they are a little fat in the nose.

Boolit Master
    Feed ramps are machined in the area of the receiver leading into the feed ramps of the barrel extension. The barrel extension is also machined to match.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....3-M4-Feedramps

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    Hitting the receiver would be problematic now wouldn't it?, The feed ramps are in the barrel extension...

Boolit Master

Both my receivers have 2 slight cut-outs in them to match the M4 barrels. I can't imagine getting reliable feeding without an M4 barrel. I am still experimenting with the NOE and the Mihec bullets, both seem to do fine. The Mihec mould seems to cast better bullets so far, but that could just be me.

Boolit Master
    Also, I could only get my Blackout to work with 30 rounder P-mags. My 20 round P-mags and my AL mags did not work with the Harris bullet not the Lee in MY rifle. I will add that I suggest trying to find a Plain base mold and powder coating the bullet. That's where I am headed.

Its just too much work to trim, size brass than have to go thru a gas check process where the gas checks cost 3 cents each. When I could feed my other AR's with 55fmjs for 93 cents each for a 6 cent savings. With the plain base and powder coat process than labor willgets much better I hope.

I had issues with the CTL-312-160-2R. On my barrel I need to seat it excessively deep. Went with lee's blackout specific mold that works best when you powder coat or hi-tek it. I should have the pointed NOE mold in the mailbox when I get home today (309 127gr PT, it is in one of Artful's pics) . Really looking forward to seeing how accurate it is.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Maybe I missed something somewhere but I have yet to hear of anyone completly happy from a mold from ANY Moldmaker???

Is the 300 Blk Out really better off with say 147 gr. J-words for supersonic????

Boolit Master

I think the take home message is that it will take some "fiddling" to get the appropriate OAL and nose diameter can be an issue. If I don't deep seat the Lee 155 by a little bit, the nose diameter is a problem.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Banned

cast will do super sonic just fine.
    I'm currently poking the rcbs 30-165 silh out at 1300 fps and the accurate 31-165A out at 1400 from my 7 twist barrel.
    when 338 ultra's mold gets here I'm gonna try for 1900 fps with cast using the 140gr mold.
    I ain't tried any jaxketed yet or really pushed the cast either, I just worked on fit of the cases and measuring stuff so far, then picked a load of AA#9 at random and went with it.
    I have the lee plain base 247gr mold to try at sub-sonic velocity's at some point, I just gotta make some first.