MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen this before?

Boolit Master

Anyone seen this before?

A week ago I posted that that I was able to pick up 5lbs of lead at camp from a snowbank that has melted away. The loads were all Lyman 358477 with 5grains of Unique in a 38 special cases lubed carnauba red. I get no leading in my Ruger Blackhawk. I have literarily put several thousand of these through this revolver as well as my 686. Now the puzzling thing in the photos I found 4 out of several hundred (all together i picked up 6.1 pounds) that have a hole in them. I can put a needle in around 3/16" more or less. I run a pro melt at 700 degrees. I am about positive that these blemishes are not getting by me during my casting / lubing process. I inspected the blemished ones they almost look like the area around the pin hole is melted however with such a light load and no sign of deformation around the base. I am puzzled. Of course this is the first time I've ever been able to pick up that many in tact cast boolits. The only thing I could come up with is a light spot in the lube allowing the gas to concentrate in one area. Thoughts anyone?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	103460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	103461
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Moderator Emeritus

I don't have much experience with lead boolits yet, but could the hole be caused by water/ice that managed to set in an imperfection? You did state they came from a snow bank.

Banned
    I'm far from an expert but could it be gas cutting?

Boolit Grand Master

Lube worms. Eggs actually in all boolit lubes, only hatch in extreme cold.
    It's just a void, weighing boolits will find them but who wants to weigh hundreds of pistol boolits?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

TXgunnut is correct about the void. Notice the holes all seem to appear where the lands are cutting into the boolit deepest. The voids are just below the surface and get cut into when fired.
    These may or may not effect your accuracy. A lot depends on how far you are shooting.
    About the lube worms-----Not so much.

Boolit Master
    Wayne Schwartz did a write up in the Fouling Shot (CBA Asso.) on shrinkage voids. These were in .32 bullets for Schutzen rifles. He used a wood chislel to split then lengthwise..nearly all had voids..and he is a master caster.

Moderator Emeritus
    I suspect that they are casting voids, it is at least the most obvious cause.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    I suspect that they are casting voids, it is at least the most obvious cause.
    +1 The void was covered over and not visible, but was exposed on firing the bullet.

Boolit Master

Thank you all who responded . At least it didn't seem to throw up any red flags. I'll see if i can find the article by Wayne Schwartz I think it would be interesting to read.
    Jeepyj

Boolit Master
    I read somewhere that all cast boolits have a void. I have never recovered boolits with voids that large tho.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Grand Master

Sure! Thats casting voids. Looks like you throw your lead straight at the hole with a bottom pour pot, and run your alloy less than 740 degrees? (seriously, go ahead and make me look like an idiot. How close am I? LOL!)
    check out my thread titled "How consistent are you really" I show such a boolit that looked OK on the outside, but was light on the scale. I filed the side of the boolit and voila! Void exposed!
    I could be totally wrong here, but I suspect that the surface tension of the lead makes it so that bubbles stay under the surface of the boolit.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Sure! Thats casting voids. Looks like you throw your lead straight at the hole with a bottom pour pot, and run your alloy less than 740 degrees? (seriously, go ahead and make me look like an idiot. How close am I? LOL!)
    check out my thread titled "How consistent are you really" I show such a boolit that looked OK on the outside, but was light on the scale. I filed the side of the boolit and voila! Void exposed!
    I could be totally wrong here, but I suspect that the surface tension of the lead makes it so that bubbles stay under the surface of the boolit.
    I do run a bottom pot at 700 degrees. I did read your thread very it is informative and interesting. I hadn't have thought much about it until I had such a good chance with the snow as a back stop and the Boolits in such good condition upon retrieval. It's interesting how we keep striving to perfect our cast Boolits. Thanks again, Jeepyj

Boolit Master
    I like the theory about lube worms, myself...
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    I do run a bottom pot at 700 degrees. I did read your thread very it is informative and interesting. I hadn't have thought much about it until I had such a good chance with the snow as a back stop and the Boolits in such good condition upon retrieval. It's interesting how we keep striving to perfect our cast Boolits. Thanks again, Jeepyj
    Yeah see, push your heat up to around 750, run your mold just this side of frosty boolits, and aim the stream so that it "swirls" into the hole, and adjust your stream so that it's not squirting so fast, and you'll virtually eliminate those voids.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Better yet, run your mold just on the frosty side, and you'll be assured of good bullets. Frosty bullets are good bullets.

Boolit Master
    With alum molds I generally run real hot, the boolits look frosty. I felt those are of a better consistant weight than the cooler nice shiny ones. Any one else expierence this?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Wow are we reading one anothers mail?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Looks that way, doesn't it?

Moderator Emeritus
    All that being said too hot a mould can also lead to voids, poor fill out and imperfections as well.

You have to learn the needs of each individual mould.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

I thought those holes were caused by the boolits passing through mini black holes on their way to the target!