If it wasn't for this forum,
    I never would have thought
    Green Dot would even work
    and work fine. Clean. Bang.
    Five grains, 230 grain, life is good!
    Thanks for the forum!
    The search engine is amazing!

Boolit Master

Green Dot is down the list on my preference for .45 loading; BUT - when powders get low, one must look at alternatives. Last powder shortage, I picked up 7 pounds of Green Dot for the same reason - it was the only thing on the shelf. Still have 6 pounds (more rifle shooting than pistol shooting over the last few years.

Just loaded up a few hundred .38's with 158 Grain cast last night using 4.0 grains of green dot. Wife last Saturday told me she needed to go do some pistol shooting to stay comfortable with here S&W .357 revolver. Looks like we may diminish Green Dot reserves stored in the Reloading shed this winter.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 12-02-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

My 230 grain 45 acp loads love G.D. I been using G.D for a lot of loads lately.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    If memory serves, Green Dot is about midway between Bulls'Eye and Unique in burning rate, close to W231. With that in mind, I'd EXPECT Green Dot to work in a great many of the same applications as W231/HP38. Mercifully, it's almost more difficult to find a pistol/shotgun propellant that does NOT work well in .45 ACP, .38 Spl., and most of the non-magnum pistol cartridges, than it is to find one that'll work at least ADEQUATELY.

I once concocted a .45 ACP load using Alliant 2400 and 200 gr. LSWCs (don't ask why). While the results were not STELLAR, they were good enough that they would have kept ME healthy, had the need arisen.

If Green Dot works for you, by all means, use it! Just because it's not one of MY favorites (or perhaps not someone else's), doesn't mean that it won't work PERFECTLY well for the task. Same for all the other powders with burning rates between Norma R1 (or VV310) & Blue Dot. Some powders may work better for a particular projectile weight, but that's usually found when people have the leisure to experiment a little. Not much of that, these days.
    Over the years, I've sorta developed a "rut" into which I fall, with powders. I use Bull'sEye/Red Dot for mild loads, small-capacity rounds, and competition pistol rounds to be used in very high volume. I use Unique/Herco for max .38 Spl., warm(ish) autopistol rounds, and mid-range magnum rounds. I use 2400/N110/4227 for full-power magnum pistol rounds. IMR-700X will easily replace B'Eye/RedDot. BE-86, AA#5 or Hodgdon Universal will replace Unique/Herco. I've never needed to, but I'm sure that a good replacement for 2400/N110/4227 (NOT H110/W296!!!) could also be found. "I ain't married to ANY of em!", as a local car dealer used to say.
    But I DO have my favorites!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    I'm a fan of the Dot powders. LOTS of shotgun, pistol and even rifle combinations available for Red, Green and Blue. Gp

Banned
    I've had success with Green Dot in 8MM, 06, 30-30, 44 mag, 9mm (I got an 8# jug with the shotshell reloader I bought

just haven't tried it in different calibers yet

You are most correct, there is tons of information available through the search engine!!!!!

I use it often and keep learning stuff every day.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not the "best" choice for .45ACP, but it will work and when times are tough you make do. Good job getting load data that works for your needs.

I use it for heavy trap loads.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve got a bunch of Green Dot for reloading my 20 ga AA hulls for skeet etc. I’ve also used it for 38 SPL and plan to use it for some 32 Mag loads, so having proven 45 loadings in my library, even if I don’t need them today, will be a good thing!. Thanks for starting a good thread; I can’t wait to see what you do for your next one!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Never pulled the trigger on any green dot but blue dot was my first (non-low-power-target) powder favorite when I started handloading 30 years ago but seems it has garnered a bad rep.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When powder was short during the previous shortage, I ended up with some Green Dot. It worked fine in my 45 Colt/Schofield loads. I have also used it with cast in a 8mm and several 30-30s with good success. I later found a 8 pound jug of Red Dot and now I use that quite a bit in the above cartridges as well as 38s as I found it works better for what I do. Nothing wrong with GD though and if it was all I could get, I'd certain go with it.

A couple of years ago, I found I had about half a pound of Green Dot left over from my shotgun days on the back of the shelf. I ran it through my 9mm. It worked great.

Boolit Master
    When I took up .44 mag, neighborhood kid taught me to cast and reload for it. Sold me the setup, and a big box of loads he said were "too hot" pull them for rose food, and you are off to a good start. Kid is one of these 20,000 rounds a month competitors, so he has a progressive factory for 45acp. He taught me to buy 45acp, don't try to make it with a single stage, it will drive you nuts. Just buy them. Who woulda thought the well would go dry? Fortunately SIL has a progressive and a taper-crimp, mostly loads .40's, not much Unique left, and lots of Green Dot.
    Bang!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Never pulled the trigger on any green dot but blue dot was my first (non-low-power-target) powder favorite when I started handloading 30 years ago but seems it has garnered a bad rep.
    I've not used Green Dot (maybe I'll try some now) but I like blue Dot in my .357 (158 grain bullet) and in my 45 Colt behind a 255 grain SWC.

Boolit Grand Master

I posted a pressure test of Green Dot in the 357 and 44 Magnums. Danged if I can get the search engine to find it. Perhaps someone else can ?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry, is this the one? I tried to click on the Alliant booklet attachments that you posted but they wouldn't load for me
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...et-loads/page1
    Last edited by RKJ; 12-03-2020 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Link

Boolit Master
    I'm a Green Dot fan.
    And I wouldn't try to convince you NOT to be. Out of curiosity, what's your feeling on W231 or IMR-700X?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    If I had a lot of Green Dot I would use it in .45 acp and 9 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    Larry, is this the one? I tried to click on the Alliant booklet attachments that you posted but they wouldn't load for me
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...et-loads/page1
    Try this link to older Alliant manuals

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...M/Alliant.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    And I wouldn't try to convince you NOT to be. Out of curiosity, what's your feeling on W231 or IMR-700X?
    Sorry for the delay in answering, deer season here. My first loading, like many here was with the Lee Handtool. The kit was for 38 Special & the dipper worked out great for IMR Hi-Skor 700X & the 148 grain WC. Remember this was my encounter with loading, 1973 so I'm not sure how things went & that is the only time using this powder.

As for Winchester 231 I've done a little more. Skeeter & Shooting Times introduced me to the powder. He was loading the 45 Colt & decided to load the cartridge using all Winchester components. The bullet was swaged lead by Winchester as was brass & primer. The powder charge was 7.1 grains. He shot the load & said the results were "a bit of alright." Coming from him I purchased the powder. I believe this was in the 80's but don't quote me.

I used the powder in 45 Colt as stated in the article. I was a bit of alright for sure. I used the same charge with my home-cast RCBS 45-255-SWC. I wasn't the best shot but could keep them under 2" at 25 yards which at the time was my standard. I later used the powder in 45 ACP with the H&G 68. It shot very well.

I have mostly used this powder in 357 mag cases. I shot handgun silhouettes in another life with a S&W 586. I used the magnum cases & the Lyman 358429. My load was 5.5 grains of 231. In that sixgun & my 4" Model 19 it was simply a tack driver. And that is my dealings with those two powders. I have 10 or 12 pounds of 231 in the shop & loading it in the 45ACP & 44 Special. Still working on these load though. Hope that answers your question.