RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where are y'all finding powder? Or are you?

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I'm lucky because there are close to ten shops w/in a half hour of my house. Stoping by on the way home from work, in the work van, means no gas costs for me

Boolit Buddy
    BFE = bum ******* egypt, as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by taiden View Post
    BFE = bum ******* egypt, as far as I know
    IME that’s pretty close. Of course people get creative with deciphering.
    Anything you put to it comes out middle of nowhere in family circle.

Buy the way Love Life. You have a nice sunrise tomorrow morning. Saturday 1/11/2014. Walk through the day proud as you have earned our respect. All who love this nation.

I'm a bit of a history buff. You simply do not see in history where patriots ever had it easy. After all that's almost an oxymoron.

Everyone: have a nice day.

Boolit Buddy

Search online and do some driving too. Keep looking at your LGS's and one day you'll be there when the next shipment comes in. Ballistic products seems to get powder and primers in, but whatever comes in doesn't last more than 25 hours in most cases.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    best place around for me is our local Wal-Mart.
    You can get gunpowder at your local Wal-Mart? If so, where?

If not, I wonder why Wal-Mart does not sell gunpowder and ammunition in their outdoor goods section? They do not object to the principle of it all as they sell fully loaded ammunition.

Boolit Grand Master

Walmart selling components is on a store by store basis. It's the same as selling firearms. Of the five stores by me only one sells firearms. And none of them sell components.

Moderator Emeritus

A buddy of mine knows I load a lot of 2400 data and kept an eye out for me. He found 4 pounds for 19 bucks a pound and bought it all. I found the Red Dot a couple days ago for 22 bucks. I may be set for a few more weeks now. Locally, finding powder, primers or 22LR ammo is not going to end well. And when you do find it, they have the prices marked up 200%. It's their right to mark it up, free enterprise and all that, and it's my right to not buy it and never go in their shop again.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Love Life
    That's the thing. With fuel prices these days, and the costs of powders locally, you really have to factor all that stuff in when making a purchase decision. I live in the middle of nowhere, and a trip to the nearest gunshop is 60 miles round trip.

I get 17 MPG. 60/17=3.52 gallons expended at $3.69 per gallon (winter prices) gives you 3.52X$3.69= $13.02 immediately added to the price of any powder I buy. Powders in all of the LGS in the nearest town are usually $40-$50 per lb. Boom!!! I'm at $53-$63 per lb and I haven't even bought a cheeseburger yet!!

Lets say I drive to Reno to it the Sportsman's or Scheels. Powder is around $24 per lb.

Distance to Reno: 160 miles round trip
    Fuel expended: 160/17=9.41 Price per gallon of fuel: $3.69 9.41X$3.69= $34.72 immediately added to the cost of anything I buy. So my $24 per lb powder has just turned into $58.72 per lb and I haven't even bought a cheese burger yet!!!! Not to mention the wear and tear on vehicles.

So when I go online and see my powder for $22.00 per lb+ $28.50 shipping, I am quite happy. I add more stuff to the cart and fire off the order!! My powder (even if I just bought 1 pound) is cheaper on the internet (hazmat included), I don't have to leave my house and deal with crowds, and no wear and tear on my vehicle. The only downside is I don't get to stop at In N Out Burger and get a double double.

Summary: My method and way of doing things work for me. You HAVE to add in all factors when making a powder purchase. How much is the time you spent driving around looking for powder worth to you? How much fuel did you use? How many miles did you put on your truck? How inconvenienced were you?

Boolit Buddy
    You want to actually use the government rate, which is now 56 cents a mile. Driving 60 miles, this equals $33.60. This rate accounts for the current price of gas, wear and tear & maintenance, insurance, etc. Then again, if you start calculating what it actually costs to drive your vehicle, such as above, you won't ever want to drive anywhere!

Love Life
    Dang!!! It just got a whole lot sweeter paying that hazmat fee!!!

Boolit Master

Years ago before I knew what the internet was it was surplus powders through shotgun news , now it is the internet and buy in quantity when I have the surplus funds , stocked on most primers years ago through a store that was closing out on reloading , as has been said keep looking back on websites till you find it in , I also got a new caliber and am now waiting to find the powder that this rifle is supposed to shoot best with, will wait till it comes in and will order some primers for other caliber at the same time , so as to lessen the hazmat , best of luck to all looking for it .

Love Life
    What new caliber did you get?

Boolit Master

338-06 was suggested that h414 was the powder that would be best in it , semi auto remington , this from the man who did the work and test fired it . Have had the chance to get the powder but wanted to combine some small pistol primers with order , now primers are in powder is out , will wait .

Love Life
    Sweet!!! I've always been intrigued by the 338-06. Serious power without the obnoxiousness of the magnums. I envy your new caliber!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C. View Post
    I was running some errands today and found myself near a gun shop that I had not visited in 10 plus yrs.
    I stopped in and saw that they had what looked like every type of powder Alient makes.
    I asked for a one pound can of Powder and the owner proceeded to tell me that he would only sell me
    the one pound (please note that is all I ask for) and I should be glad to get that. I thought OK I'm lucky.
    But was I? The going rate at the other LGS's is $17 a one pound can, but I was lucky to get this one for
    $23 a pound. He was lucky to rip me off for the $6 bucks extra a pound this time, but I vote with my wallet
    and will not be back.
    $23.00 is a fair price for a 1lb can! At one time guys use to whine to me about my prices. At that time I was making a dollar per pound. So I started writing the retail cost down then under that fee I'd list my discount price which was more than the dollar per pound I was getting.

Retail price for an avg every day pound of powder is $30.00. Right now Alliant DPS Reloader 17's 'retail" price is $39.99 from a large wholesale house in Pa. I refuse to sell a pound of powder at cost then eat then sales tax. When I sell a pound of powder you can expect to pay at least 35% over dealer cost plus sales tax.
    Price out a pound of 5744 if you think $23.00 is to much! LOL

Banned

I suppose if things get real bad on my end I could load up those 2 cans of Alcan shotgun powder and the can of King's Semi Smokeless.

Love Life
    Shoot, powder was $19-$23 per lb before SandyHook. I remember paying $17 per lb back in 2006.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Powder Bill View Post
    $23.00 is a fair price for a 1lb can! At one time guys use to whine to me about my prices. At that time I was making a dollar per pound. So I started writing the retail cost down then under that fee I'd list my discount price which was more than the dollar per pound I was getting.

Retail price for an avg every day pound of powder is $30.00. Right now Alliant DPS Reloader 17's 'retail" price is $39.99 from a large wholesale house in Pa. I refuse to sell a pound of powder at cost then eat then sales tax. When I sell a pound of powder you can expect to pay at least 35% over dealer cost plus sales tax.
    Price out a pound of 5744 if you think $23.00 is to much! LOL
    The last time I bought powder in 1-lb lots was also the same time when primers could be found locally. Both are nearly impossible these days, so I just buy online and in large quantities when I can get a couple of other friends to go in on an order. The shipping and HAZMAT is not too bad when you are spreading it across 50 lbs of powder or primers. I think it added $1 to the cost of each 1K of primers when we placed an order a couple of months ago.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Grand Master
    LGS's just got a shipement of powder in. Even had some CFE223

Boolit Buddy
    Well I hope you guys that are short remember this feeling of being with out! This current shortage will pass at some point, when that happens and everything is back in stock, it is time to stock up! Do not get caught short again.
    Just my friendly advice.

PS: Midsouth has 8lb jugs of 4064 at this time. This is a good load almost any rifle powder