RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where are y'all finding powder? Or are you?

Boolit Mold

Where are y'all finding powder? Or are you?

From where I sit the word "shortage" doesn't describe the powder situation lol. I've been set up the "email me when in stock" option for several companies for quite a while now and I haven't gotten a single email. I also check the local suppliers often and find nothing. I feel like Yukon Cornelius looking for silver and gold.... Dirt!
    Any tips on how to locate powder? Or is this just a wait and watch game? A list of suggested companies to look at would be nice too, I may have missed a few.

Thanks guys,

Caleb Cook

Boolit Master
    I would contact those companies again.

I was fortunate enough to walk into a small "mom and pop" shooting supply store in Hanover, PA last weekend. They had a lot of small pistol, large pistol, large rifle primers and a bunch of powder in stock. I bought a couple thousand primers and a few lbs of powder! Should last me a few weeks

Semper Fi

I get mine from my powder shelf.
    Primer's, I made a couple call's and got 5000 LR.

Boolit Mold
    Primers haven't been a problem, midway USA seems to be able keep those in stock. At least they are in stock when I need them

Boolit Buddy
    We have a local gun shop that is well stocked up. Unique, Bullseye, Red Dot, Blue Dot, W231, 2400, #5 etc etc and multiples of each. But you're going to pay $30 a pound for it. Think I should snag more?

Same with primers, all the local shops have CCI SPP but they are $45 a 1000.

Boolit Buddy
    Depends what your looking for its out there here and there got to keep checking though

www.wideners.com
    www.grafs.com
    www.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com

Boolit Master

For those sites that don't allow you to backorder, you just have to keep checking every day or so. Sometimes you might not find the powder you are looking for, but you might find one that you can develop a load with. What calibers are you reloading?

Don't forget Powder Valley...

I was recently in Salt Lake City and was surprised to find a large sporting goods retailer (Scheels) there that had reloading equipment and supplies.

When you find a company that has it, you need to break down and buy a full HAZMAT charge load of it, otherwise the HAZMAT charges will eat you up. I can usually find a couple of friends to go in on a 50 lb order, so that HAZMAT charge per pound is not *too* bad. You're over in Pensacola, right?
    Last edited by grumman581; 01-07-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Mold

Where are y'all finding powder? Or are you?

I'm on Grafs email list, I'll try some of these others. Do you think these local shops are willing to ship if I called in with a card or something? Cuz I might be willing to go that route if I can't get it any easier

I'm mainly looking for the main food groups in caliber and powder: you know 40S&W, 45acp and LColt. Power pistol, bullseye and unique

Boolit Master

With the $25 hazmat fee I won't buy online unless I can split that fee amongst 10 or more objects (1k of primers or 1# of powder being an object).

The other day I put together a cart on the Natchezss website and my powder and primers came up to about $500, which is more than enough to justify the hazmat fee. Unfortunately I have spent almost that much on lead and powder (found a steal locally on some old powders) in the last couple of weeks, so I cancelled the cart. But the powder and primers were in stock there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cookvette81 View Post

I'm mainly looking for..............Power pistol, bullseye and unique
    Oops. Didn't see that. Natchezss had 800-x and longshot and some shotgun powders, but none of what you're looking for.

Boolit Mold
    Yup, Pensacola near car city area

Online stores will one day have a full listing of powders. Like Powder Valley a couple weeks ago had almost all the Accurate Arms powders. Week later and they've almost nothing. They just move it out by the truckload. Problem I have is no one shop ever has every powder and primer I want to get an order on a single haz-mat fee.

As long as you have a month or more to find powder. It' will show up someplace. For a day or two.

Boolit Master

After what I've seen on one of those vendors, on a thread here, I'd be careful and do my homework and check them out.

Outside that, I've been getting mine locally, or through reliable vendors. My main vendor only does business with FFL's, because they're a distributor and don't compete with their customers. That would be BHSS.

Boolit Buddy
    My powder inventory consists of:

Alliant Promo / Red Dot
    Hodgdon Titewad
    Alliant Steel
    Alliant Blue Dot
    Hodgdon Long Shot
    WC844
    WC872
    WC814
    WC867
    WC846

Most of them are around 8 lb quantities, although Alliant Promo and Hodgdon Long Shot are 16 lbs. Well, at least they all were before I started using them. I figure if I have a wide enough assortment of powders, I can make *something* work and have something to shoot. Since I have so much Alliant Promo / Red Dot and since Promo shows up with some regularity at the various online sites, I tend to use it as my default powder these days and try to find some sort of reloading data for it for a particular powder if at all possible. I've used it in 9mm, .38spc, .357mag, .40SW, 10mm, .45ACP, .223, and .45-70. Of course it's not optimal in .223 or .45-70, but it works and I can shoot 'em with it if I have to. Sometimes, you just have to be flexible and work with what is available. One of these days, I'm going to try a full case of WC872 in a pistol caliber just to see if it will get the bullet out of the barrel and how much of a fireball it produces.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Bub
    i got lucky and snagged some off a friend the other day. 1.5# bullseye, 1# HP-38, and 1.5# H335, all for $70. I also ordered some A1680 from www.lohmanarms.com because they claimed to have it in stock. It still hasn't shipped (over a week now).

Quote Originally Posted by cookvette81 View Post
    Any tips on how to locate powder? Or is this just a wait and watch game? A list of suggested companies to look at would be nice too, I may have missed a few.
    I check this site daily. I'll catch some sometime.
    http://gunbot.net/reloading/Powder/

Boolit Master
    I picked up 4lbs of 2400 and 2k primers this summer from a relatively local shop. I say relatively because is about 100 mile round trip. They seemed to have everything well stocked.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a 5 pounder of RE 7 today. Could have bought 8 pounds of Unique, 4227, 4756, Varget, benchmark, 4064, 4831, and a bunch of others if I wanted to. Even more in 1 pounders.

They said powder was still sketchy on delivery but primers are coming pretty regular now.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Around here, all the LGS's have powder when I need it. I have never had any problems getting what I need, or pretty close to it. That does not say I can walk in and get 8# of Unique.....which I never use any way! That crapola flys off the shelves fast. But most stores have a wide selection of pistol and rifle powders at decent prices. Some are high, but buyer beware!

Good luck to you guys out there having trouble feeding your habit! I feel for 'ya.

banger