Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: What equipment to avoid?

In Remembrance

My advise is to get both kinds of bullet pullers, a kinetic type (Hammer) and the collet type. The collet is used for `J` bullets best, the kinetic works for lead or `J` bullet loads. I recommend RCBS for both types.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    No offence to jlchucker meant, but this is an example I mentioned that if the tool isn't expensive, it isn't any good. ( I am not defending Lee, but this is just an example). My first scale was a Lee Safety Scale. This scale is inexpensive, about $26.00, and is as accurate as any on the market (I tried the advertised "weighs piece of tissue 1/2 the size of a postage stamp" and it did. I have since compared the readings I got in a side by side test with newer purchased more "sophisticated" scales; RCBS 5-10, Lyman Ohaus D5, and 2 digital scales and they are exactly the same, but the digital are not quite as consistent as the beam scales.). So I can weigh powder on a $26.00 scale and get consistent, to less than .1 grain weights or I can weigh powder on my $70.00-$135.00 RCBS and get the same amount of powder in each case. So, it doesn't make sense for a new reloader to purchase a much more expensive scale unless he just wants to.(an aside, the Lee scale has a locking feature on it's poise, whis no other scale has. A good safety feature).
    No offense taken, MDI. At the time I started loading, I don't think Lee was offering scales yet. Notice I didn't mention Lee, though. Given the state of my wallet at the time I bought that RCBS kit, it was the best bargain in the store I went to. Lee makes some good stuff, and it's good value for the money. There are some off-brand products that you see advertised from time to time though, that one should wonder about. My RCBS scale has lasted through thousands of loads, over some decades now. I offered that as an example of something that has lasted the whole time for me. My kit came with a single-stage press, an RCBS Junior made of iron. When I upgraded, I bought a Lee Classic Cast press that I consider to be every bit as good as comparable models made by RCBS or Lyman. Still, when loading, my point was intended to drive home that a good scale should be a major, critical consideration.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Gear gave some excellent advice; listen up. You are off to a good start with the RCBS kit. You will find that there are some things in the kit that you don't need but what you do need is there and of good quality. Buy first class; I have done without until I could afford the good stuff.

A couple specific reccommendations: Wooden, case dimension specific loading blocks are better than plastic. Powder tricklers are a waste of money, use an empty rifle cartridge case with some propellant in it and roll it between your fingers, the powder trickles out nicely and $20 saved. Keep your press well lubed and clean, primer residue is as abrasive as lapping abrasive. The lubricant may drip on the floor but your press will be tight and true 50 years from now.

Good luck and have fun.
    Ditto on the lube. I remove the ram, clean all the pieces, lube with low temp and it works slick. A press that pops the primers out the bottom of a hollow ram almost eliminates primer **** problems. I like the grease zerk on the RCBS Summit, been thinking about adding the feature to some of my other presses.

Boolit Bub
    I try and keep everything simple. Most of all keep notes on what you do, what worked and what failed. I love the Lee case trimming tool. I use the Lee hand dies for range work. Dillon beam scale, Redding, RCBS and Hornaday dies. More Redding dies than the others. Redding T 7 press. Lee dippers are great.

Read, read read, manuals. More the better. Lotsunami of great information in reloading manuals.

Most of all make it fun. If it feels like work, or your mind is not into that day, walk away and come back another day.

Boolit Master
    Lee press kit to get you started ,sets of dies for whatever your reloading and trimmers for bottle neck cases ,straight wall cases crack before they new trimming and as many manuals as you can afford .if you have a friend to show you the basics all the better.have fun.