Thread: ANother shotgun question

Boolit Grand Master

ANother shotgun question

Any reason not to cut down a $100 "The New England" brand
    hammer double 12 ga with steel 30" full choke barrels to 18"
    for a home defense gun? Gun is tight and used but seems
    decent.

I think it is a Meridian sold by Sears. No idea if this is some sort
    of a travesty or just repurposing an old shotgun.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I dont shoot much shot out of my shot guns. In fact the one I have now is rifled. I usually cut them back to 18 and 5/8 inch. That way I can take them through canada if I want to.

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Those old Meridians are about like a Savage 311. Lots of them, no special value unless mint. Cut away.
    I personally, and especially if this is the first time you've chopped a shotgun, would cut it to 19" or 19.5" instead of 18", reasons being 1. If you screw up your cut, you can still cut it again or grind back to a good muzzle and still be legal. Cut it to 18" and make a slip or go a bit crooked and you now have an unregistered short barrel shotgun. 2. I find that the extra inch doesn't make the gun less handy and makes it easier to break open.
    I've got an old double cut to roughly 18.01" after polishing and crowning and while it is legal it is just a frog hair over the line to be legal, can't really complain because that was the safest place to cut it to remove the damaged part of the barrel from a mud-plug explosion long ago and it IS legal and now I can use what somebody else was junking. It is harder to break it open because no leverage to work the cocking piece to cock the hammers.

Good luck!
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master

If you are the person doing the cutting and finishing, I would first cut to @24-26" and see if the shotgun is still easy to handle and function. Then make the cut to 20", again checking function. After that I believe the shotgun becomes harder to unload and cock the hammers as the barrel weight is used to assist in functioning.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the comments and I think you are all on the right track on barrel cutting.

I can always cut more, hard to put it back!

Bill

And a key to measurement when approaching the 18'' area. A dowel or rod placed down the muzzle until it contacts the breach face, Mark the rod & measure. Lets just say I got the "pleasure" of being instructed/intruded by the ATF with my SBRs.

In Remembrance

If its a double, be careful cutting the mid rib. Unless its soldered all the eay along, you will want to cut just ahead of one of the solder/welds or else it will "peel" and might even throw off the barrel regulation.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Grand Master
    Hammered shotguns give you one more operation to get into ready mode. Plus the exposed hammers can snag at the most inopportune times.

I have a Baikal cut down to 18 1/4" and it is fast and slick (after it was tuned) but I do not even consider it for self-defense. I have two Mossberg 500's for bear or two legged varmints.

Boolit Grand Master

The shotgun I was looking at, and willing to pay MAYBE up to $150 is now at $340 and I am
    WAY past any interest in it now.

Thanks for the info, not too up on shotguns, really.

Bill