Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Uniflow II problem

RCBS Uniflow II problem

I've always used a RCBS powder charger, It was a older version with the glass tube But since I moved I left that one for my dad and took one of the extras that we have never used. Its a Uniflow II I make sure it was clean and started using it. I've loaded about 1000 rounds with it so far but I'm not comfortable with how inconsistent it is. It will do 4 or 5 in a row that is dead on zero then it will give me one that is usually heavy by about .3 or .4 and after the for no reason it will give me consistent light ones that are .2 or .3 under Even though I keep the powder level the same (about 1" shy of the top). I use the regular technique I did back home with the older powder charger which was tap the handle to the top twice then throw. That seems to give me better results but still not +/- .1 which is what I'm used to. I'm using Unique and have never had problems with it before.
    My firearms project blog

Try two taps to fill and two taps to dispense (like you do with an IMR powder to prevent bridging) and see if it makes a difference.

Are you sure it's thoroughly clean? Maybe there is something sticky, a rough area, or even a static charge that is causing clumping and/or incomplete fill. The only way I can think that it would drop an overcharge with a flake powder is if something was holding back a part of one charge, (like somehow it was sticking to the side of the internal drop tube) then it was shaken loose with the two taps as the next one was filling the cavity and then dumped on top of it.

But it sure doesn't sound like a Uniflow, especially with Unique, which meters to +/- .1gr out of mine.
    Born OK the first time.

I’d suggest taking the time to clean the PM again, remove the drum assembly and wipe down everything with a good degreasing cleaner (Simple Green works well), make sure everything is dry then visually inspect before reassembling. Then give the cylinder a light puff of powdered graphite and put everything together again.

Oddly enough, as I’m certain you already know, static can be a part of the problem, I’ve wiped down my PM (RCBS Uniflow) with a dryer fabric softener sheet to help with this at times. Also do not hesitate to call RCBS Tech support and ask for assistance or to return the PM for corrective repair as RCBS is a company that cares about its customers and product quality.

Creekwalker

Cleaned it really REALLY good this time. I set it all back up and loaded 50 (51 rounds actually since I had 1 more last bullet left....Gotta cast more when I go back home this week.) It started out very consistant but I started to get +.4 again and some -.2's......I tried several methods and adjusted it accordingly. I think +/- .2 will be all this one can do. I double tapped the bottom as well and that seemed to help. I'm not really sure on static though....I've never had problems before but its very likely. You say a dryer sheet works the best?
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    I usually do a PM takedown on mine every so often by taking out the drum and cleaning the lower portion of the measure to remove any buildup of powder coating. I have the old Uniflow, not the II model though. You shouldn't have that much variation however. I just use 1 tap each way, and make sure you have the small cylinder in to measure Unique. Be sure to use the large charge tube so powder doesn't bridge in the lower part of the assembly. Check for coating on the inside of the drum cavity also. Hope this helps. CB.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Bub
    I had the same problem a few years go. I eliminated static and dirt from the equation and tried several technique variations with not much success. A friend suggested I use a reloadng press as a mount rather than the add-on RCBS stand. Sure enough that did the trick. The variations in charges are now much less frequent and extreme. Extruded powders still don't meausure all that well but that's to be expected. All of that being said I really don't use the measure much any more being a devotee of the Belding & Mull.
    For the Love of God People!! It's A TURRET Press not a TURRENT Press!!

Yes a dryer sheet is a cheep and easy anti static fix for my bench and works very well. I've been pleased with my Uniflow PM's and plan to upgrade one of them to a Uniflow II. The comment about better result from a press mounted PM is an interesting observation.

Another cause of excessive static can be the location and environmental aspects of your loading room. This can be caused by not standing on a rubber mat, low humidity levels and electrical interference. Now you need to step outside of the box and begin identifying, changing or elimination of some of these sources.

Best

Creekwalker

It might have taken just a few thousand throws to get it warmed up or something but now it seems to have gotten better. I loaded 450ish rounds of 45ACP last night all in one sitting and had good spread with it.
    My firearms project blog

I toyed around with the idea of attaching a small vibrator motor to my powder measure. I got the idea from the incredibly accurate drops I was getting from the powder measure on my Dillon Square Deal. I figured it had to be the vibration...

Boolit Master

If you have access to an industrial strength demagnetizing unit, it will make short work of any residual static charge in your measure. Leave the gunpowder of home.

I've been wondering lately if gunpowder comes from the factory charged with static? How would we go about testing this hypothesis?

I frequently used a grit blast booth at my last job. In the dry winter months, the static would build to the point where it would find a weak point and zap me through heavy rubber gloves and gauntlets. Really got my attention! The cure for that was to run a wire from the nozzle to ground. Anyone tried a like solution?

In Remebrance

Okay, I really hesitated on mentioning this, but what the heck. I once talked with a guy who had a similar problem with inconsistent throws. So at first he tried taping and electric razor to the measure. Cleared the issue right up. But, since he needed to shave he wanted a more permanent solution. What he claimed he did was buy a, ahem, vibrator unit from an adult novelty company and attach it to the measure. I have no idea what happened to the rest of the unit and don't really want to know.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Okay, I really hesitated on mentioning this, but what the heck. I once talked with a guy who had a similar problem with inconsistent throws. So at first he tried taping and electric razor to the measure. Cleared the issue right up. But, since he needed to shave he wanted a more permanent solution. What he claimed he did was buy a, ahem, vibrator unit from an adult novelty company and attach it to the measure. I have no idea what happened to the rest of the unit and don't really want to know.
    If a vibrator works an old aquarium pump should also as they shake pretty goood. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    You usually can find electric shavers or hair clippers at Goodwill stores that sell used items. They be cheap to buy so you don't need to purchase an electric sex toy.

Jim

Banned
    Sounds to me like a few of ya are a bit tooo bashful.....powder charges are important stuff...way to important for silly emotions to play a part....stand tall look like you do not care go in there and buy the cheapest egg shaped "personal massage device" and glue it to your powder stand with a large glob of silicone. I run mine off an ac adapter set for 3 volts...aa batteries started adding up so i stole the ac adapter from a long dead telephone base...."magic bullet" is what the brand i bought was called...it seemed appropriate, and it works. keep your chin up...ya ain't doing nuttin illegal.

In Remebrance

Oh no,,,, I knew it was gonna go like this.

Boolit Buddy
    Could this be the the magic that will get more females involved in the sport (reloading)?

Instead of taking your significant other to the range, have her do your shopping for reloading accessories for you....
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Boolit Master
    I've gone the opposite direction and isolated my powder measure from my loading bench. My press is mounted directly on the bench and I wanted to get away from vibrations or mechanical shocks from operating my press. With my powder measure mounted on a nearby but independent shelf, my measure runs much more precisely. The most difference is on heavily crimped cartridges which require more pressure in the press. Incidently my powder balance is also isolated from my loading bench.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    I have the older, original Uniflow mounted onto the top of my bench with the enclosed mounting strap. I too, use Unique a lot as it is so versitile. In my experience, these large flakes tend to get cut when charges are thrown. In my experience, cutting flakes and/or rapping the handle only serves to compact the powder in the reservoir especially the powder near the powder measure drum. My approach with Unique is to rock the handle back and forth and from left to right slightly when the handle stops rotating due to the powder jamming the drum until the drum becomes free. I know this sounds tedius, however, this method gives me far more consistent charges with less adjustments to the drum. Another thing I have found with Unique is that the charge weight tends to get lighter as the powder becomes depleated in the reservoir so keeping a consistent powder level also helps with throwing uniform charges.

When I really want to throw accurate charges of any large flake powder, I only fill the Uniflow one-third of the way, set the drum to throw a slightly lighter charge into the powder pan, place the pan onto the scale and finish off the charge with a powder trickler. Those of you who have an electronic powder dispenser are fortunate indeed.

BTW, enjoyed those vibrator suggestions but would prefer to use them for their designed purposes.

Boolit Master

Pics?

Boolit Master

i dont use the( magic bullet) ,but i have been known to sit the tumbler on the bench though when using hard to measure powders!!!

GP100man