Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Performance vs Quick and Cheap Buckshot: A Discussion

Just like any other hunting scenario there are different uses of buckshot. Most any buckshot can be loaded into a simple shotcup load for HD for the specific or general firearm that would be serviceable. There are different hunting scenarios that require different buckshot performance. For example, I just watched a bunch of deer dog hunting vids on youtube, very interesting but far different from from my own scenario. There multiple shots were taken at running deer at quick guesstimated ranges to past 50 yards. For instance, bubbaroundtree has a 60 yard pattern challenge going on. Where and when I would use buckshot, 40 to 45 yards would be max because you couldn't get a shot pass that any way because of brush and viewing so you really wouldn't even be able to probably get more than two shots off anyways. So, I have 3 1/2" mags loaded to put minimum of 7 to 12 buckshot in a breadbasket at 40 yards for A single good lung or neck shot at a standing or slow to medium moving deer. I would like to tweak that a bit better though and get about 10 to 14 in a 12" circle or so for a good boiler room shot or a definite down neck shot out to 40 yards or a touch over if a quick misjudged range is taken in a hunting situation. Though after the under 40 yard shot was taken if I could get multiple shots off with the recoil that is happening with the 3 1/2" load and the deer was still on the move, well I would still blast. If I in an area where a few 50 yard shots are present a single projectile would be used.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Grand Master
    Great info Hogtamer.

Thanks,

Don Verna

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    It seems most buckshot questions are aimed at producing quick and easy loads based on target load components. High performance buckshot queries seem to be in minority.

Which is most important to you?

Based on the answer given, what minimum pattern performance is acceptable to you at 25 and 40 yards?

What Buckshot pellet sizes do you load and why?
    I started loading buckshot in the mid 80's for coyotes out West, mostly #4 and F Buck. I shot a lot of patterns out of many guns.

You will read a lot of BS from guys that have not done much testing on chokes. One thing that I can tell you is that shot gun shells are not very consistant on how they will throw a pattern. One shell might be stellar, and the next ho hum. I use the best of Ballistic products wads and filler, and will always shoot two or three patterns with a load before I sit down to load quantity.

Here is a short summary of what I have found in my experience. Full chokes will out perform modified almost 100% of the time and imp cylinder is very wide indeed. I found that in my 11/87, a Carlson's turkey choke will print 100% of the pattern in a 20" circle at 40 yds with ooo buck and 00 buck that is Remington 3" factory. The 000 is a tad tigher than the 00. My best #4 loads print 100% at 40 yds in a 20" circle, some will print all in a 15" circle.

Warning, you really need to shoot your shotgun to see where it prints when you get tight patterns. My rem's shoot low, and Beretta's shoot slightly left...shotgun fit is critical.

Federal Flite control wads are simply the shell to use in a cylinder bore and will significantly tighten a pattern Up to a full choke.

On Youtube, if you do a search on "Bubba Round Tree" you will get a good education on shooting and reloading buckshot. Don't get sidetracked by his Southern mannerisms, he will show you what is the real deal on molding and shooting buckshot.

Hope this helps

Boolit Bub
    Hey guys not trying to steal the thread but I have questions on loading buckshot. I have lots of Green dot and Rem STS and old Win super X hulls, I have 2 shot shell loading books and nothing real close to my components. I use CLaybuster WAA12 replacements. Any help would be appreciated, these will be for predators of differing numbers of legs. Mac