WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help identify this rifle

Quote Originally Posted by jack19512 View Post
    I still am puzzled why it is shooting so poorly. The bore looks pretty good unless the bore is just over sized. I am not going to give up on the rifle yet, but something has got to improve or it will leave my gun safe and I will make room for something else. I am curious, what would you rebarrel to if you did and how much does it cost to do this?
    How much oversized? Have you slugged it? I assume you are seating out as far as possible. Could it be throat erosion?
    I will be rebarreling to 30BR at some point. I have the barrel, dies, and brass. I plan on shooting 125-150gr jacketed in it for short range deer hunting. 358win would be another good choice, especially for hunting with cast. I have no idea what it would cost to have it done - I just need to rent a reamer and headspace gauge. I already have a lathe, barrel vice, and action wrench.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by versifier View Post
    jack & moonman,
    I have a 7x57 m95 and have this to say.....
    It also has a slightly oversized bore in so-so condition and it patterns jacketed bullets like a cheap shotgun.

Figuring that I had nothing to lose, I started cast tests with the Lee 130gr and surp860. With that combination I shot the largest cast group (and largest measured rifle group) of my entire life, some 38" for 10shots @ 100yds IIRC, six of them keyholing and two hit perfectly sideways.

Needless to say, I was pretty bummed out and figured I'd be rebarreling the sucker at my earliest opportunity. But then I says to myself, "Self," I says, "I've got 200 more boolits that I cast up for the damned thing and I might as well try another powder and shoot them up." So I tried some surp4895 next and the first group I shot was just under 3" (again, 10 shots @ 100yds), and all groups shot with increasing 1 gr increments of that powder were less than 4". I will rebarrel it eventually as 130gr RN's aren't exactly deer hunting boolits, but don't assume they won't shoot until you have given them a fair chance with some different powders.

If I wanted another accurate plinker, this one would do it wonderfully, but I'd never have known that if I'd given up on it after the first tests, dismal as they were.

This is not to say you will have yourselves tack drivers, but you'll never know until you do some experiments. They might just give you a very pleasant surprise.
    This is exactlly what I was talking about in another post entitled "Acurizing a gun that won't shoot". I still find it almost unbelieveable but you do here things like this every once in awhile about a gun that won't shoot worth diddly but all of a sudden you try a different powder and there is a dramatic difference. All I can think of is there must be something dramatically different about the movder that makes it shoot better.
    I loaded some up with red dot and used a filler and I am hopping to see noticeable difference but if that doesn't work I may just get and try me 4895 and see if I can duplicate or somewhat duplicate your findings!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    Are you sure it's not .308 winchester? I had one like that and it had been converted to 7.62. Mine had a straight bolt.

Boolit Mold
    Doc,

your rifle had a bent bolt, I should know .. its in my safe now

Craig

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doc25 View Post
    Are you sure it's not .308 winchester? I had one like that and it had been converted to 7.62. Mine had a straight bolt.

Yes I am sure. When I purchased the rifle I was told it was a 7MM Mauser and in one of my previous posts I had slugged the barrel and posted the measurements. It doesn't matter anymore as I traded the rifle for reloading supplies.

I have over 30 rifles that I shoot, reload for, and cast for and that was the only 7MM rifle I had and I just don't have the time and energy to figure out what's wrong with it or invest money into reloading supplies for it. I do appreciate all of the replies that I have received.

Boolit Grand Master

Took my 1916 Spanish Mauser out today with some new loads to try. (g. red dot with filler and 130g bullet lube with JPW. I might mention I have 2 of the same. The first one shot as bad as ever. Couldn't keep on paper (12x20)at 25y. The second one which has a little better bore was shooting allot better than before. I fact it seemed to shoot even better after I shot 1/2 dz rnds through it. It shot roughly 1" at 25y and the same at 50y. I was very pleased the results and now I have a CB rifle I can play with. I believe my other one was also shooting a little better after a few rounds but it was shooting so irrattic that I couldn't be sure. I saw on here someone tried some bullets with tephlon tape on them and I thought I would give that a try with my bad shooting one and see if I can fill in some of that oversized bore. If that works I'll work on getting bigger bullets.

Anyone else have this happen where they shoot CB's and after a few shots their gun started to shoot better?
    Aim small, miss small!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post

Anyone else have this happen where they shoot CB's and after a few shots their gun started to shoot better?
    ............You bet and it's pretty common after scrubbing down to bare steel.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

Could be Buckshot. I had trouble getting them to shoot before so I did some intensive barrel cleaning!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a few milsurps that finding the barrel steel was a bit
    like an archeological dig! Finally hit steel, tho.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Check the crown. I've had to back bore a couple of them to get them to shoot. Sometimes you can just recrown them with a brass screw chucked in a drill. By the way, mines in 308 and shoots cb's like it was made for them.
    223tenx
    Pete in WV

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

???????

what is the twist.if the gun shot 170gr bullets maybe the twist is to fast.
    WILDCATT