Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for Unique

Yes, I tried 231 but, I didn't get the accuracy of B'eye and it burnt dirty.

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

AA #5 is what I use.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

You are using it in pistol so I am sure it is a straight replacement. I have been trialling using it (called AP70N here by the manufacturer ADI) in bottle neck rifle cases (30-30 and 35 Whelen) and feel that it is more position sensitive than Unique. I now have a chronograph and need to go back and retest some loads.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I have used Unique in .45Colt, .41Magnum and .44Spl. for 30+ years.
    I use a Little Dandy measure and have never had any issues with metering consistently.
    I load thousands of those rounds every year and while I use other powders in those calibers, Unique is used more than any other powder. It gets me where I want to go as far as power, accuracy and cost per shot for target and plinking rounds. I have heard some claim it is dirty, but I have never found it to be appreciably dirtier than 2400, W296(H110), Blue Dot or Bullseye. I never worried about how dirty a particular powder was...I figured cleaning my firearms was part of the deal. And...I actually like cleaning my guns.

The only powders I use that may rival it in poundage per year is Blue Dot (I load many thousands of rounds each year in .357Magnum) and Bullseye (many thousands, as well) in .45ACP and .45AutoRim and .38Spl.

I can pretty much load anything with unique, bullseye and AA#5. I've never had issues with lee auto disk measure after you break them in, they are reliable within .1gr. I've also used the universal charge bar and found it only useful for measurement between disks. I rarely use it.

Boolit Buddy
    how do you break them in?

Boolit Master
    I find one gets 0.2~0.3 variance with Unique using a powder measure...I found a sure fire way to lower it to 0.1 grains or less.

1) Fill the powder measure and then cycle it 10~20 times, (I dump the powder back into the Unique canister)
    2) give a no. of light raps to the powder measure stand...
    3) When powder charging give the powder stand a light rap with you hand both when charging and then again when dumping the powder into the cartridge case.

It sounds goofy..but it works....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    Was or is there a military designation for Unique?
    If so is it sold surplus in bulk canisters?

The April 1994 version of TM 43-0001-27 lists SR-7970 in .45ACP and SR-7325 for .38 Special. Not sure that either of those is a Unique style powder; nor have I seen them on the Surplus market.

Attachment 78518

Pages 5-7 of the PDF attachment indicate that Saint Marks Propellant (General Dynamics) has developed a Ball Propellant for the .45ACP (no designation provided); and WPR® 289 St. Marks BALL POWDER ® Propellant for use in the 9mm NATO M882 cartridge. Some of the surplus SMP powder was available on GunBroker.com up until 3-4 months ago, but recently none has been posted.

Mustang
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 08-07-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Another vote for Unique, I've never had any metering problems with the Dillon powder measure and its just so versatile. One of my favorite powders.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester Super Field
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    Rex, Not easy to find here have not seen it on the shelf in over 3 months.
    Darn it Mike, If I could get some down to you.......Our walmart has it on the shelf.
    Rex

Boolit Buddy
    holy ****. what if i could get powder at walmart? hmm... def not an option here. my LGS, Grafs, would still be my preference, but they are not so local.

Boolit Buddy
    I was in our walmart last week. They had IMR-4350, IMR-4320 and 4064 as well as Unique....no .22s and 2400 can't be found around here. Primers are also scarce though I did get 1000 SPP at a LGS, last one they had but the lady said someone had to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I find one gets 0.2~0.3 variance with Unique using a powder measure...I found a sure fire way to lower it to 0.1 grains or less.

1) Fill the powder measure and then cycle it 10~20 times, (I dump the powder back into the Unique canister)
    2) give a no. of light raps to the powder measure stand...
    3) When powder charging give the powder stand a light rap with you hand both when charging and then again when dumping the powder into the cartridge case.

It sounds goofy..but it works....
    I thought the slight rapping with the hand was standard procedure? In any event, it seems to work pretty well and is easy to get used to.

Now, mind you, i dont do that with high-volume 45 acp/38 spl production using ball powders. But every rifle cartridge ive ever charged has seen some hand rapping on the measure. And also my unique handgun loads get it.

But to the OP's question: i just bought a pound of imr sr4756 for that very purpose. I realize it's not granny smith-to-granny smith but the load data and testimony out there place it something like granny smith-to-fuji

Hopefully that comparison makes sense. Im just saying i think its closer than an apples-to-oranges comparison

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    I'll second TXGunNut's choice. I have used 231W for years and find it to meter like sand from a boot. It is one of the cleanest powders I've ever used. Once I started using 231W I just never seemed to be reaching for my RedDot & 700X and Bullseye cans. It works great in the 45ACP too. I bought a Lee turret press for my nephew which has the disk type powder meter. He has become a big fan of 231 due to the repeatability of the load.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have been using Unique for 50 plus years and have never noticed it being difficult to run through a powder measure. I do not use progressive presses, so that may be the reason.
    I have two progressive presses (Dillon) and a RCBS scale & powder dispenser. I've never had a problem with Unique and I love it because it does about everything. Maybe not the best but I buy it in 8# containers and always have it. When you can't find powder (seems to be a common occurrence every few years) I always have unique to load rifles and pistols.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
    Winchester Super Field
    This +1! my charges are basically the same from unique across 9mm, 40, 45cp, 38spl, and 12ga.

Hogdon Clays is Excellent. Used it for years and love it in 45ACP. I just tried Ramshot True Blue and it meters EXACTLY the same every throw. No catching or sticking when you meter it.

You could also try an RCBS Little Dandy Pistol Powder measure. It really helps consistency when making small charges. Having to buy all the rotors is a pain, but it is consistent.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    Was or is there a military designation for Unique?
    If so is it sold surplus in bulk canisters?
    Prior to WW2 Infallible was used as a noncanister grade of Unique. I haven't seen any available as surplus since the 1970s.

Boolit Buddy
    Power Pistol here.