Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for Unique

Boolit Buddy

Replacement for Unique

I like Uniques versatility, it just dosent meter worth a darn in the measures I use. Currently using lee pro auto disc. What would be a better metering powder that will cover serviceable loads in 9mm 125g TC, 40 175g TC, and 44mag 255g SWC?

In Remembrance

Try Ramshot True Blue. Works thru my Pro 1000 press really well.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

AA#5 is about the same or just a little slower powder. Ball type and measures very well.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    IMR PB is a smaller particle size which measures well. Substituting weight for weight instead of Unique you will get slightly lower velocity, but not get into any trouble. Volume is different.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-28-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Universal Clays. Just back it off a bit, generally .5 grs. Cleaner, meters well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll second Universal Clays. I like it enough that I just bought an 8lb jug. Comparing data between the two, some loads are identical, some not. You'd want to go by the book, regardless.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven View Post
    I'll second Universal Clays. I like it enough that I just bought an 8lb jug. Comparing data between the two, some loads are identical, some not. You'd want to go by the book, regardless.
    I'll 3rd that. Good powder and burns relatively clean.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

+4 on univeral clays.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a bull headed old man, there just ain't no substitute for Unique. Powder is easy to find and the loads shoot good.

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for Universal. Like most things the products get better w/ progression. Universal is a prime example.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll give hs-6 a vote. Meters very well and works with most handgun cartridges.

Boolit Master

Guess I'm behind the curve. I still use my Lyman powder measure, and Unique works pretty well in that. Then again, I haven't tried anything else, since it works for me. There might be something else that meters better. I can't afford hardly anything right now, even when it's available!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Funny you mention replacing Unique ..... I was thinking the same thing the other day . Except I was thinking about what powder could replace it for use in everything from .223 Remington to the 45/70 . Though I'm sure others would meter better , and I thought of HS-6 right away . I just wasn't sure that there was another powder that can do what Unique does .

But to answer your question , maybe WSL or SR-7625 along with HS-5 or HS-6 of course .

Jack

Are there any ball powders that are close to or faster than unique?

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    Are there any ball powders that are close to or faster than unique?

Frank
    Yes, Universal. It was developed as a ball powder equivalent to Unique. Most of the loads are w/in a few tenths of a grain of each other.

I have been using Unique for 50 plus years and have never noticed it being difficult to run through a powder measure. I do not use progressive presses, so that may be the reason. I use an old Hollywood, a Lyman 55 and RCBS Little Dandy measure and Unique works fine for me.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried the lee perfect powder or the micro bar? Unique has always meters d nicely for me

Boolit Grand Master

My RCBS measure didn't really have much problem with Unique, just had to be very deliberate and consistent when manipulating the lever. One day I couldn't find Unique and bought Universal and decided I liked it better, haven't looked back. As good a powder as Unique is, I think Universal is a bit better in every aspect.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

What I'm looking for is a powder charge in the Unique burn rate (or faster) of 2 - 2.5 gr with less than .1 gr extreme spreed. That's why I would like a ball powder.

frank

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    What I'm looking for is a powder charge in the Unique burn rate (or faster) of 2 - 2.5 gr with less than .1 gr extreme spreed. That's why I would like a ball powder.

frank
    Have you tried 231?