Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SP101 .327 for a small lady?

Boolit Grand Master

Good advice Wayne!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Man
    Your best bet is to find a gun range that has a good assortment of pistols let her handle a few then fire some, Bersa is a pretty poplular pocket carry. smith and Wesson bodyguard has an easy slide Taurus 738 prolly the easiest slide. but those 2 have a long trigger pull.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    Good advice Wayne!
    1Shirt!
    I have had an Sp-101 in .327 Federal for some years now. I finally worked up a load with the lee 90 grain boolit seated out further in 32 h & r brass. I think it would be a fine choice for her if she likes it. The muzzle blast with factory ammo is quite something. For some reason light 32 H & R loads shoot high, but. 32 acp loads shoot right to point of aim.

Exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    Glock26 or 19 with a 15 rounder than she does not have to reload. A 5 or 6 round revolver of low power rounds is not the best SD gun for a novice.

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    Glock26 or 19 with a 15 rounder than she does not have to reload. A 5 or 6 round revolver of low power rounds is not the best SD gun for a novice.
    The easy thing about a revolver is it's simplicity. Point & shoot. No magazine, no limp wristing or malfunction do to the gun being pressed against something like your body. While I would want more rounds on the street, 5-6rds inside your home, again, probably good for 95% of all situations. Glocks are simple, but still a mag, slide, mag release, etc. For the occasional shooter, a revolver is just dead bang simple.
    On the 38sp vs 327, cost of ammo alone would make the 38sp a bit better. The old 158gr LSWCHP in a 3" SP101, is a pretty easy round to shoot & duplicating it is very easy w/ a 158gr LSWC.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the thoughts.

Glocks are simply too large for her -- unless they come out with a 1" single stack model (one can hope).

The Kahr I bought for myself and let her borrow. You're right, it's all in the technique when it comes to the slide. It's still hard for her though.

The .327 SP101 is another something I'm considering for myself with the option for her to borrow. I like that I have the ability of readily developing a light (~125grns boolit) round that would still have excellent sectional density, have lower recoil, and have the option of 6 rounds rather than 5. (It would be exclusively a boolit and reloads gun with loads tailored with her in mind.)

There is not a rental range in the area with the options she would need (the only rental range has several options, but they are all essentially mid-size guns and bigger e.g. Glocks et al). We did go to a gun show, which had a dirth of options, and from what I recall she like how she could much more readily rack the slide on a Colt Defender. The problem was the Colt Defender's grip was simply too large for her hands.

I'm going to take a look a the goodlocalgunshop outside of town, which I have not visited for a couple of years, and see what options they have. Maybe something will follow me home, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    You ain't been at a range where a novice has such trouble racking the slide that she points it 90 degrees to the target to get a grip, and then lets loose a round right down the firing line. (Enfilade fire.) Happened at the range I used to shoot at in Michigan. Nobody got hit, but I'm sure that lots of underwear needed changing. Glad I wasn't there at the time. I'm 6'+ and 240 lbs, and even I cannot rack some of these self-loaders safely due to my arthritis. Sold a perfectly good HiPower on that account. Revolvers for me forevermore. To be honest, I have no experience with the .327 round, but loaded ammo is already scarce. I'm a die-hard S&W snob, but an SP-101 can't be wrong. Prefer a .357 'cause you can use store-bought .38s in it for practice. Weight is her friend, although she doesn't know it yet. My daughter chose a light-weight 9mm H&K 'cause it felt good in the store, but she hates it at the range.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

If weight of a light gun due to recoil and 5 rounds, although with 357mag im not sure why you are getting in gun battles with drug cartels without a CAR, how about the GP series? Shooting 38sp fr it is really nice.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy

For some one who can't rack a pistol the Beretta with the tipping barrel in 32 auto is a fine solution if you are willing to accept the small cartridge. I have the SP and it is heavy. Not my choice for a carry.

Boolit Master

+1 On letting her choose her own firearm. And vehicle, shoes, purse, etc.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master
    A self defense gun is a short range gun. High velocity and flat trajectory are not very important. If you are a hand loader the larger 38/357 bore will generate equal bullet weight/velocity with less powder and recoil. I have an SP 101 in 42 H&R and it produces 1200 fps with a 104 grain cast bullet. It will penetrate an engine block so I expect it would do the same on a person. OTOH a cast .357 bore 110 grain at similar velocity should do about the same and will produce a bigger hole coming and going. If she likes shooting the larger caliber will offer more room for growth as she becomes more experienced. Besides the 38/357 factory loads are more available in more versions at lower prices.

Boolit Master

You guys get way off track with your opinions, The OP facts: K9 too hard to rack, HE prefers a semi auto. Not crazy about XD (semi auto)but will consider. Might be a Glock (semi auto) snob. M&P (semi auto) is out. "Any suggestions? I'm thinking of picking up a SP101 in .327 Federal for her to try, but I'd like to stick with semi-auto if there's any recommendations you may have."

It seems to me he'd prefer a semi auto, duh, how many times did he say it, over a revolver but thought the 327 round might be a doable compromise. The best advise let her try all she can at the range. The new Ruger LC380 is a great compromise in my book. My wife at 60 and small is both recoil and muzzle blast sensitive. She loves shooting my 9's with light loads but can't rack the slide. The Ruger fit her hand excellent, recoil is about that of a 22 cause it is not blowback operated plus there is sufficient weight since it is on a 9mm platform. It does have a manual safety but you dont have to use it. Some of those ultralight snubbies are just too light and have pretty sharp recoil for small handed, sensitive shooters, same with the pocket pistols. If you plan on 327 ammo is expensive. Again, give her every available option so the two of you can enjoy shooting together. Just my .02
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

How about an M&P9C (Check out my Avatar) mine is legal for sale in MASS and has no safety. It is a double stack auto but it has the 3 different backstrap inserts to tailor it to different size hands. In the Mass compliant version it has a 10 round clip, most of the rest of the country get 12 round. The nice thing about this gun is it will take full size M&P clips too which would be nice on the range if my crummy state would allow it!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master
    As for cartridge choice, even a 22lr is better then fists, fingernails, a bat, or a knife. If a .327 is what she can shoot ok then it's not wrong.

Racking a slide is hard for many women even with proper technique. Arthritis makes the situation even worse. I'm an NRA basic pistol instructor also and my experience mirrors that of Cosmiceyes, and Knifemaker. Some people just do better with revolvers and that's perfectly ok.

I have read that the SP101 has an absurdly heavy double action trigger pull that would be a real problem for most shooters, and especially arthritic ones. Apparently there are good options for lightening the trigger pull without sacrificing reliability. A hogue monogrip benefits this gun well also. Just figure those things into the price.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing to consider if your going to get an auto is that a wider slide will have a larger slide to grip when pulling it back and will probably be easier for her. As I said my girlfriend is small but has no problem with the k9 or CW45 but finds the 45 far easier due to this.
    Take her to a large well stocked gun store and let her try every auto for slide pull and when she finds one she likes take her to a range that,rents that one and let here try it out
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    Right now she has a Kahr K9 that I'm letting her borrow, and that seems to fit her small hands sufficiently well, but she cannot rack the slide, so that's obviously not a good solution for her.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of picking up a SP101 in .327 Federal for her to try, but I'd like to stick with semi-auto if there's any recommendations you may have.

I did notice the Springfield XDS banner above the forum and checked that out, and while I'm not a fan of the XD pistols in general (perhaps I'm just a Glock snob), that is a consideration. (The M&P Shield is out since a manual safety is a no-go for me for a striker-fire pistol.)

Hum, would Kahr's 45ACP line have an easier to rack slide? I'm not crazy about the Kahr trigger, but since this is for her, not for me, that's a bit moot.

Thanks
    I am late to the party but If you have not bought this - DON'T.

I one one of these.
    It is a first class handgun.
    I really like it.

BUT:

This is NOT a gun for a small lady!

If you are not committed, please read this review!

http://reloadingtips.com/reviews/ruger-sp100-327mag.htm
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceyes View Post
    They make lady Smith still. A 4 inch Mod.14 is a easy find in .38 special.Wad-cutters are deadly accurate,and make huge mushrooms at target loads.A pair of compaq grips are made for small hands.The 38 will only kick more than a 327 if loaded hot,and heavy.If mine need to defend herself in winter,I recommend the 38 as it will go through layers of clothing still reaching vitals.The 327 will not.Practice make confidence with any gun.
    The Ruger 101 is a pound heaver,and a bigger gun overall compared to the J-Frame smith.So small hands fit better.As a NRA firearms safety instructor I found women prefer the revolver over the auto in defensive weapons.In target shooting a semi auto 22LR is enjoyed in their hands.
    This is good advise.

Boolit Master

williamwaco - that is about a GP-100 and the OP is referring to an SP-101 which is much smaller and more concealable.

Super Moderator

A good used S&W model 10 in 38 special is hard to beat. I know J&G Sales has had them on and off over the years. Most were police trades and in very good condition. If you can find one in a 3"bbl, get it. Their lockwork and trigger is superb. Easy to load and handle, and they always go bang when the trigger is pulled. Yeah, a bit larger frame than an SP101, but quite manageable.

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    One option a lot of people overlook on a semi auto, is the "slide pull" from Brass Stacker. (http://brassstacker.com/springfield-armory/slide-pull/ and http://brassstacker.com/glock/slide-pull/). It's made for both the XD and Glock, see the website. It places a pull ring behind the slide. Does not interfere with most holsters, it's clamped on by one screw, leaves no marks it you take it off. No, I dont have any connections with the company. It's just one of the different options I show my pistol students that have strength or mobility impairments.