Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Jacketed Bullet Data With Cast Boolits

Boolit Mold

Using Jacketed Bullet Data With Cast Boolits

Being new to the pistol game and an avid reader, I have read that one should drop the powder charge 10% when using jacketed bullet data. Correct?? Or what is the safe variation. My first reloads will be with minimum powder charge anyway, but I would like to get the correct answer before proceeding.
    Clyde 72

Boolit Buddy
    What cal/powder/bullet weight combo?
    Hope for change.

Boolit Master

Clyde,

Some good reference sites are maintained by the various powder companies.

Hodgdon has a great wealth for loading rifles, pistols and shotguns. I'm sure that you'll find info to help you there. Here's the link:

http://www.hodgdon.com/

As Ika suggests, post the details of your proposed load as there is a wealth of experience here and I'm sure that one of the members has loaded a duplicate of what you want to do.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-08-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned

in many handguns you just substitute the cast boolit for the jaxketed bullet.
    in others you need to do other things in insure success.
    but since you are a reloader and you are going to start low and work up you can use starting load data for your cartridge and boolit weight safely.

in many handguns you just substitute the cast boolit for the jaxketed bullet.
    Because almost all CB alloys will take the pressure of jacketed loads. I also consider the spread of min/max grains & pressure for a given powder.
    Whatever!

Cast boolits generate lower pressure so reducing the charge may maintain the same or similar velocity. I don't know about 10% though.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Mold
    First, thank you for the quick responses; now for my apology. I should have posted the following additional info: 380 and 102 grain cast boolit.

Boolit Master

Love that boolit in my .380 pistols. I've shot that sized to .358 over 3 grains of Bullseye with great success in 5 or 6 different pistols. Mine drop about 105 when cast from range scrap. Lately I've been powder coating them black but haven't had a chance to let them fly and see how they do.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by clyde 72 View Post
    First, thank you for the quick responses; now for my apology. I should have posted the following additional info: 380 and 102 grain cast boolit.
    Any particular powder you were planning on using?
    Hope for change.

Boolit Mold
    Planning on starting out with Universal. Nice small grains which should meter well. Likely 2.7 grains.

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Cast boolits generate lower pressure so reducing the charge may maintain the same or similar velocity. I don't know about 10% though.
    I am not sure I really buy this, many say it but until I see pressure testing, I am not buying it. There is no free lunch, so pushing say a 230gr bullet to a given vel requires a given pressure for that powder. It's wise when using lead bullets w/ jacketed data to go with starting jacketed data & work up.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Man
    For both .40 S&W and 9mm I use jacketed data if I can't find a load in my Lyman manual. Starting load to max in .2 increments and let the gun tell me what it likes. Power pistol has been very easy in both. Longshot in the .40 is awesome and works best at max. jacketed load with 190gr., 50/50 WW/Pb bullet. HP-38 works real well for medium loads in both. Have not had good results with Clays in either gun due to leading. Med burn rate powders for cal. seem to work best. I'll water drop my practice boolits but air cool my HP's. That 50/50 mushrooms sooo nice!

Boolit Master

Don't want to horn in here but anyone using Cast Pics load data? I have been using it for several years and seems to be working for me. I am not in to "hot" loads so I do not push their envelope. Any comments on that site for data?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Don't want to horn in here but anyone using Cast Pics load data? I have been using it for several years and seems to be working for me. I am not in to "hot" loads so I do not push their envelope. Any comments on that site for data?

All loads on Castpics have been tested and submitted by members here. The caveat is, all firearms behave slightly different.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

wakupsi,
    Thanks for the info. I did not know the data came from folks here but it does not surprise me. Thanks to all that contribute. I find it a valuable resource.

Boolit Master
    I have noticed the info published by speer and hornady often seems to be limited in the velocity that they allow for cast boolits, thus they show heavier loads for jaxketed than cast. Inoticed this the most in revolver loads. Many of us think that it is not necessary to hold cast boolits down like this.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    I have noticed the info published by speer and hornady often seems to be limited in the velocity that they allow for cast boolits, thus they show heavier loads for jaxketed than cast. Inoticed this the most in revolver loads. Many of us think that it is not necessary to hold cast boolits down like this.
    I've noticed the same thing with the Lyman Cast Bullet book.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I don't think I would have any problem using a listed starting load from jacketed data for an equivalent weight CB. However, I would always work up from there to get a good, accurate load. I certainly would NOT try to adjust a near max jacketed load without working up to it from lighter loads first. Regardless, you will probably find the best CB load under the max anyway. CBs generally shoot better at speeds somewhat slower than full out max -- at least IMO.

Boolit Buddy
    Remember, cast bullets of the same weight have less friction than the jacketed bullets. You are generally safe using 158 gr jacketed data for 158gr lead bullets.

Use the jacketed load data and work up as normal. See any signs of over pressure and back off.

Banned
    Read the manual for your components.

If you substitute components or go outside the manual, avoid my range, please.