Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Lee Classic cast V Hornady LNL Press

Lee Classic cast V Hornady LNL Press

Hi all

I am looking for a new single station press for rifle reloading only.

Looking for opinions on the two presses mentioned.

Thanks
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

Either one will be a good press. The Lee Classic has a better spent primer disposal system would be about the only difference as far as usability..The Hornady has the LNL bushings and they will also work on the Lee..or the Lee has their own "Breech Lock" press as well but the LNL is a better system IMO......eenie, meenie, miny, mo....which ever you like the best...

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    It's your money but why not go classic? Buy an old press,fix it up and have a connection with your tools? You are also preserving a piece of gear for the future generations!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    You got to love those old classic presses of yesteryear. There have been some huge presses from different manufacturers built. I agree with seagiant. OP stated through the ram primer disposal. Redding does that as well as my CH4D Champion. Not a new idea. There are other presses that have done this even earlier than the Champion. I'm not a fan of either the Lee or the Hornady single stage presses. Didn't care much for the Lyman Orange Crusher either.

Gotta love the classic presses of yesteryear. Built by craftsmen.

take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I am a huge fan of my Lee classic cast, though I haven't had the Hornady single stage. I will say that with the Lee you can buy the hornady LnL conversion for less than the difference between the two. With my Lee, I know the primer goes down the tube. It must be some sort of witchcraft. I know that BT sniper makes some neat swaging equipment with the classic cast in mind, which makes me think it's a strong press. I haven't heard him mention the hornady one so maybe the Lee is stronger? Someone with more knowledge may be able to chime in.

Boolit Master
    The LEE press is cast Iron and has a better spent primer system. The Hornady is cast Aluminum and has the LNL feature.
    I purchased the LEE classic cast. Happy with it.

The Lee Classic Cast that I have is a nice single stage press. I bought the Hornady Base Conversion unit to accept their bushings, since I prefer the Hornady bushing system over the Lee bushings. Total cost was still less then the Hornady press but not by much.

I primarily load on Dillon 450's and 550's as they pass thru my hands from time to time. The Classic Cast and the LNL were on my radar for some time since nearly all of us need a single stage with individual shell holders to save cost on buying a progressive shell plate for small jobs etc.

In retrospect the old Lee 3 hole manual turret press I had for years and years did the same work but then I would not have gotten to spend money on a new toy.

BTW the Herter's No 3 which I have as a family heirloom was way to heavy for simple reloading tasks. Even with an RCBS shellholder adapter it was and is a PITA for sustained operational results.
    regards,

Boolit Man
    RCBS Rock Chucker! Nothing more to say in the single stage category...
    Boolits! Gotta love'em!

Love Life
    Before I moved up in the world, my Lee classic cast sized and deprimed 10,000 pieces of machine gun fired brass. I took it to the base machinist for a look see, and it is still as good as when I got it concerning alignment and function. I can highly recommend the Lee Classic Cast, unless you get one like Recluse got.

I will take cast iron on the Lee vs cast aluminum on the LNL any day of the week. Lee makes a classic cast breech lock version for quicker die changes also. The Lee version locks in place so tightening/loosening the dies in the breech lock bushings is easier. The LNL bushings will turn. Lees priming system works well for once adjusted properly.

For a rifle only high precision press I would look at the Forster Coax.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Lee makes a classic cast breech lock version for quicker die changes also. The Lee version locks in place so tightening/loosening the dies in the breech lock bushings is easier. The LNL bushings will turn.
    Interesting. You say you prefer the breech lock bushings to lock n load? They are significantly cheaper, which is a big plus. I have on occasion had the lock n load dies turn loose until they pop up with the ram, at which point they obviously have to be clicked back in, but it's pretty rare and the fix is quick and painless.

I have the Lee Cast Classic and use the Hornady L&L bushing. Now I went with it over the Breech lock as it takes 1 1/4"x12 dies while the Breech Lock won't. I load 12 ga brass shot shells that I use a RCBS Cowboy die for which requires the 1 1/4 die size. I've found if you turn the Hornady quick change in enough they won't back out at all.
    Joe

Thanks for all your replies. I do prefer cast iron over aluminium so I may go with the Lee press and either the Lee breech lock or the LnL system.
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand