WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found some 22 short on the shelf

Boolit Master

Found some 22 short on the shelf

A buddy of mine was telling me he saw some Remington 22 short at a local sports shop (mostly a fishing supply) so I called them to see if they were still there, "yep I got six boxes left but they won't last long". Six 50 rd boxes of Remington short at "only" $6.99 a box, wow what a bargain!

For someone maybe, I just said thanks and left them to someone else.

Boolit Master
    Even before this craziness, short was double or triple the price of LR. I think it's a low volume production thing.

I have an old Winchester pump gallery rifle that uses shorts, and I grumble about the price of shorts every time I buy them.

That price on shorts may have been his regular price, before all this mess.
    NRA life member

LB

$6.99 a box is a good price, we've been paying $8.95 a box for the last few years.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master

Good grief! I remember when I could pick up enough returnable coke bottles along the side of the road for a box of shorts and I was set for the weekend.

In Remembrance
    Yep shorts are always pricey, if you can find them at all, shortage or not.

Love Life
    22 shorts are my absolute favorite, well before the 'Quiet 22' was introduced by CCI. Right behind them are Remingon Thunderbolts. My 10/22 loves thunderbolts.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Good grief! I remember when I could pick up enough returnable coke bottles along the side of the road for a box of shorts and I was set for the weekend.
    Amen brother. The local country store also sold dacron fishing line by the arm-span, and Pfluger fish hooks in the round can.
    A nickle box of crackers, and a few cans of potted meat, fueled many trips to the river.
    All financed by drink bottles.
    Had a basket on my Schwinn just for them.
    Good Times.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Amen brother. The local country store also sold dacron fishing line by the arm-span, and Pfluger fish hooks in the round can.
    A nickle box of crackers, and a few cans of potted meat, fueled many trips to the river.
    All financed by drink bottles.
    Had a basket on my Schwinn just for them.
    Good Times.
    It saddens me to think that, while a similar experience is possible, it is not very likely that kids today will share it in common with us.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by plmitch View Post
    $6.99 a box is a good price, we've been paying $8.95 a box for the last few years.
    These are boxes of 50, I bought some not long after the panic started for $2.99 at the local Farmers Co-Op and Midway lists the same ones right now (of course they're out of stock) for $3.99.

In Remembrance
    Very few parents would let there kids ride a bike 2 miles to the store picking up bottles (if there were any) and on to the river anymore. In a lot of places the rivers have been so commercialized that it wouldn't work for most kids anyway.

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't even know shorts were still made

Moderator Emeritus

Dang,
    Last time I bought 22 shorts, I bought a brick [500] for about $20. btw that was about double the price of 22LR at that time...pre-Obama for sure...maybe even pre-911
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance

When I was nine, 1954, I could buy shorts for 25 cents a box at a country store. Longs were 30 and LR were 35. The stores in town were 15 cents a box higher. We had a plague of rabbits then and many a rabbit met his end to that little Win. 22.

Now that the ISSF changed rapid-fire to LR, I find myself with about 2 cases of shorts and no interest in shooting them. I have heard of some guys using them for Bullseye at 50 feet though. Might have to give it a try.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Towards the end of my bike riding days it got to be great sport for the nex-gen criminals to drive up behind you and slap your head into next week. That was back in the days when we rode with traffic. Never could understand why people would throw away 5cent Coke bottles. Probably the same jerks who got their thrills base-ball batting mailboxes.
    Shorts? Yeah I remember them. Fondly.
    Now? I see used soda bottles beside the road. Meth labs??? My, how times have changed!!

Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master

I was just at Farm&Fleet tonight and they had boxes of Remington shorts for $3.99 per box. They had about a dozen of them. I don't have anything that uses them so they may still be there.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master

i found a ammo can full of 22 shorts a few weeks ago
    and a lot of 22 magnum that my Dad put away a long time ago
    Attachment 70491
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    These are boxes of 50, I bought some not long after the panic started for $2.99 at the local Farmers Co-Op and Midway lists the same ones right now (of course they're out of stock) for $3.99.

Yup that’s a good price for a box of 50 when in stock, but as long as they are under $10 for 50 locally, even at 4 or 5 boxes for a day at the range it’s worth it for the grand girls.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to really like the CCI .22 Short Hollow Points for treed coons and squirrels, and Winchester T22 Shorts for rabbits; back when they were cheaper than the Long Rifle versions.

The last box of Shorts I bought was somewhere north of $3.00, I almost didn't buy them.

Robert

Boolit Master
    back in the day i had to make a choice 2 boxes of shorts or one box of long rifles. shorts won out more shooting. all ways kept some long rifles in my pocket in case i ran into big game. like ground hogs.

i know shorts were hard to find but did not think they cost that much.