Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Phishing scam

Boolit Master

Phishing scam

Hi All, I just received an email from DHS. It said I had a package that was scheduled to come to me. It was all official looking with their logo. They also had links to click on. It said the package was scheduled on the 25th. Instead of clicking on the links, I went to their site and entered the number that was on the email. They had never heard of it. And I have not ordered anything in a few weeks. So watch for this one.

Banned

DHS? department of homeland security

In Remembrance
    What exactly could a guy order from DHS??? What they have I don't want.

I get these pretty regularly from "FedEx." They're easy to spot because the font is wrong on the FedEx logo. The real logo has an arrow within the logo formed by the "E" and the "X." Plus, having worked for FedEx for 10+ years I know that they try to call you if there's a problem locating you, or whatever. They don't e-mail. I don't know other shipping company's policies.

Boolit Master

Pretty bad when you can't get three letters right. It is DHL. The shipping company. Sorry.

In Remembrance
    That would make a slight difference. lol I thought DSL went out of business.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
    Pretty bad when you can't get three letters right. It is DHL. The shipping company. Sorry.

Can't get much else right either! I get these all the time, every time I order from ENCO (machine tooling) I get those goofy notices from the UPS or USPS -yeah right! The funniest one I got, and honestly I'm not making it any worse than it actually was, was this phony USPS notice.

"Your parcel are arrived and is awaiting your reciete (they misspelled receipt) please click on below link to print out claim form so to take to be presented at office of posta for your parcel".

Other than the goofy text the logo, etc didn't appear out of the ordinary, probably copied from a legitimate USPS web site, but obviously English is not their first language.

Boolit Bub
    I was thinking it was bullets that they had too many of!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    That would make a slight difference. lol I thought DSL went out of business.
    Hey Starmac, if you meant DHL, no they aren't out of business, just scaled back immensley. I ordered thru Natchez 2x's in the last month and a half and used DHL to deliver it to the post office. Slow as all get out, but lots cheaper the UPS is for me.

Unless I'm mistaken and it's a different DHL, the tracking website shows DHL Global Mail.
    Last edited by 41 mag fan; 04-28-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

DHS starts sending you packages they will probably be delivered by drone.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I occasionally get the 'failure to deliver' message for something I never ordered. A rather pathetic and sophomoric attempt to get a bug in your computer. Who falls for that?
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    Yeah, I occasionally get the 'failure to deliver' message for something I never ordered. A rather pathetic and sophomoric attempt to get a bug in your computer. Who falls for that?
    Apparently enough people for them to keep doing it. This scam has been around for some time now as Monttaxen said.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    Who falls for that?

LOTS of people!

Nothing will get people to click on a malicious link quicker than telling them they are going to receive something, they WILL receive something for sure!

Boolit Buddy
    Right click on the link, then click "properties" on the bottom of that drop down list. If the address is not what you expected, something is not good; delete it.

WP
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO