Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love living in a small community

Boolit Master

I love living in a small community

I needed to take care of some stuff at the local county government today so I took the day off. Started at 9:00 at the Circuit Clerks office for a new drivers license. Went from there to property valuation administrators office to try and get my property tax lowered since I had torn down an old house and barn back in December. They have to go inspect it but that was pretty easy. Next stop was voter registration to change my party affiliation. Turned out that I got it all done by 9:27. Still had time to come into work. 27 minutes and that was traveling to 3 different locations.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

I know exactly what you mean. But I live half a tank of gas from any of those offices. I don't go there.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I understand completly, its good to be able to take care of business with those who live with the same condidions as you do, makes life so much simpler and easier to get along.

Town I live in consists of approx 3,000 and I personnally know more than 50% of the folks. County seat is about 10 miles away and I know many in the local government and other positions. Life is good.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Banned

it is nice to go out and pay the cable bill, stop at the post office, the auto parts store, go to the bank, fill up with gas, register the boat and 4 wheeler, then stop and get a carton of smokes at the grocery store and be home in about an hour.
    maybe 2 if you stop and b/s at the gun shop.

You all are missing the fun of the big city life. Wait a couple hours at the DMV, 10 min in line for gas, 1/2 hr to work, 20 min in the grocery store checkout line. At least a 1/2 hr wait for Friday nite dinner (but no line at the bar). Just think of all the people you meet and chit-chat with while in line.

Boolit Master
    Throws off my whole day if I have to stop at the light on the way to work in the morning.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

popper has got it down pat there folks. But then, this is ILLinois. It's just like that here where I live popper, I feel for ya.

I'm retired now so I stay home most of the time. Really would like to move to Brenham or rural east Texas, just to be able to get outside in the country before my days end.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I'm retired now so I stay home most of the time. Really would like to move to Brenham or rural east Texas, just to be able to get outside in the country before my days end.
    Brenham is expensive, and you don't want to live in deep East Texas.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

I moved from one of the largest cities in the country to a town of about 20k.
    I've been here thirty years and if you wanted to get me back to the city you'd have to drag me back dead.

Boolit Master
    Sorry guys but I have to laugh. A small town of 20K to me is an oximoron. If I drive near a place like that I begin to have anxiety attacks.
    We felt like we were making quite a compromise when we moved to Saco a town of 250 people.
    I have spent my adult life in remote areas and just cant realy even imagin what life is like in what you would call a real city. Even Saco has become too big for us to tolerate. We are moving to a place out of town between Dell and Lima Montana.
    I read the news ( no tv or radio) about all the things happening in cities and it just seems surreal to me. Like watching a movie or something seeing it but know its not real. Before I got married at age 35 I just lived in the woods where ever I worked or if available a man camp run buy the logging company. I dont feel as though I have missed anything worth while quite the contrary.

I am with ya bullshop. Altho I am already 1.5 hours from a post office (small one, town of 688) 2 hours from a BIG town (maybe 58k) My wife hates going to town. Here neighbors are miles away (yes the closest one is over a mile) I couldnt live in any town. I have always lived outside town, but I see myself moving further out each time. I am about as far out as it gets now. Alaska is the only place that would be further out, even though there you can be FAR out without being that far. Cities just end and wilderness begins. (well that depends, Sprawl has hit many AK cities). The sad thing is even here this far out, behind gates and Fences I get wound up quite a bit in the summer time. People think that any dirt road is their private recreation area. They ignore gates, fences, and signs. I dont think they understand what 'private' road means. Winter is my favorite time because I see none of that.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 04-19-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: corrected actual populations

Boolit Buddy
    The last time I renewed my DL, i drove 45 minutes past the closest DMV to the one in the neighboring town. I was able to conduct my business with friendly staff and return home and still make it home before I would have if I had gone to the local branch.

As far as changing the political party on my voter registration, there is not enough time left in the world for that to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. But I live half a tank of gas from any of those offices. I don't go there.
    A 1/2 tank of gas is 150 miles and as many minutes in the country 20 miles and 4 hrs in the big city. LOL

Boolit Master

I live 7 miles from the nearest town (population 50) And that's just about close enough. Don't need to go to town much except to do the drivers license thing about every 4 years at the county seat (20 miles each way) takes about 5 minutes most of that is the picture and waiting for the computer to print out the new license. But I do have the bad habit of going to gun shows and auctions and LGS's.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boz, Can you explain to me why the US government needs to know what political party you are affiliated with? Here in Australia, as long as we are registered on the local, State and Federal voting rolls that is sufficient. What party I vote for is no ones business except mine.
    Ron.

FESTINA LENTE

Boolit Master

5 min from a town of 9k. 25 miles from a town of 150k.
    Luckily where we live the crime rate is so low it's negligible. About the biggest crime around here is break ins occasionally.
    I couldn't live in a town anymore, no matter what size. Country life is all I want. If we could move further out into the country around here, I'd already have my bags packed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Boz, Can you explain to me why the US government needs to know what political party you are affiliated with? Here in Australia, as long as we are registered on the local, State and Federal voting rolls that is sufficient. What party I vote for is no ones business except mine.
    Not sure I understand that either. Here in Tennessee, we declare which ballot we want in primary elections. Depending on whether I want a particular candidate to win or, if it is a foregone conclusion, want another party's candidate to lose, I may ask for either a Republican or Democratic ballot. This seldom happens, but it is possible.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    The 2010 census report for Floyd shows a population of just under 500 within the town limits and about 15K for the whole county. We live about 5 miles from the edge of town, but the concentration of housing stops abruptly, so where we live, we might as well be 50 miles away.

Our nearest neighbor is several hundred yards away, but you'd never know it unless you left our place. We're at the end of a stoned access road 3/10ths of a mile off the black top and surrounded by trees.

Thank you, Lord, for our quiet, secluded place in the country!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Same way here in Texas but our open primaries have disadvantages as well. The Libs can vote for Lib-leaning candidates in the Republican primary. As I understand it in states where they have closed primaries you must declare a party affiliation to vote in the primaries. Primaries are where the GOP blew it last election cycle in many states, will be very important in the next cycle.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.