Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: People are going nuts!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

I went to one auction and after selling all of the items, the auctioneer pulled $0.82 cents out of his pocket. He said to the crowd, " I just pulled 82 cents out of my pocket. Let's start with an opening bid of 50 cents."

I was there. He sold that pocket of change for $4.75. I kid you not.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Mold
    Gee guys, you really need to cultivate friends in the right places. A month ago I bought 1200 rounds of .22 LR for $46.00. Two weeks ago I got an additional 800 rounds for $34.00.

Make friends with the guys that run gun shops. Don't try to get something for nothing, don't abuse the relationship. they will look out for you when you need it. I burn a minimum of 1,000 rounds of .22 every month shooting Steel Challenge matches. I just mentioned that I need to keep a lookout for inexpensive .22's. When amkmo comes in these guys call me BEFORE they even open the doors for business. I never asked them to set any aside for me, but they do.

"JIM" (who posted above) knows me well and he can tell that I am NOT pulling your leg.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Riflerev View Post
    Gee guys, you really need to cultivate friends in the right places. A month ago I bought 1200 rounds of .22 LR for $46.00. Two weeks ago I got an additional 800 rounds for $34.00.

Make friends with the guys that run gun shops. Don't try to get something for nothing, don't abuse the relationship. they will look out for you when you need it. I burn a minimum of 1,000 rounds of .22 every month shooting Steel Challenge matches. I just mentioned that I need to keep a lookout for inexpensive .22's. When amkmo comes in these guys call me BEFORE they even open the doors for business. I never asked them to set any aside for me, but they do.

"JIM" (who posted above) knows me well and he can tell that I am NOT pulling your leg.
    Yup, that's for sure and certain.

I just posted "Today's purchase" where I got a 325 pack of Federal Auto Match for $20.95. Miss Jeanette called me to tell me they got in some 22 ammo and did I want any. That's how they look after me 'cause I'm always out there and help out doin' stuff around the shop when I'm there.

Glad to see ya' postin, Rev!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    $420.00 a brick! Was this some kind of charity auction event? Sometimes at those, rich people are invited and get stupid showing off how much money they have to just waste.
    Or use it as a write off.

Here in No. Indiana we have a benefit auction put on by the Mennonites, I've seen hand made Amish quilts go for a few thousand, then get turned right back onto the auction floor for a re-auction to raise more monies. All goes for a good cause.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I have helped at charity auctions and we would take a clear plastic bag around the room and get people to drop in some cash donations. Then we would auction the bag of money. It always brought more at auction than what was in it, we had to count it for record keeping. Often the winner would donate the bag back to the charity. So for the cost of an empty bag the charity made good money.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    I have helped at charity auctions and we would take a clear plastic bag around the room and get people to drop in some cash donations. Then we would auction the bag of money. It always brought more at auction than what was in it, we had to count it for record keeping. Often the winner would donate the bag back to the charity. So for the cost of an empty bag the charity made good money.
    Cool!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BLTsandwedge View Post
    30 years ago or so when I was going to school back in PA there was a gun auction 'company' that went around the state with a bunch of doctored up antique and reproduction stuff. The 'auctioneer' would also have two or three premium pieces in the collection of junk. He had two plants in the audience- there at each auction, every time. They had a system of bidding that got each piece- especially the premium guns- way above Flayderman's and let the egos in the room take over. It worked and they sold a lot of doctored-up junk for impressively inflated prices. As soon as they'd compile enough complaints, they'd go into hiding for a while.
    I'm guilty of a version of this. At charity auctions and occasionally estate auctions the auctioneer can't get a starting bid, I'll get things started for him. Only get caught on that every now and then but I pay my money and walk away. I even bid $10 for a thousand WSP primers a few weeks back. I donated them but it seems I was the only reloader there. Gonna be hard to account for that come tax time.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    will start the bid at auctions lots of the time, instead of listening to the auctioneer go down to nothing and then all the way back up, it saves a lot of time. lol

Blacksmith stuff has become just as crazy. There is a 250 pound anvil on Ebay .... normal price was about 2 dollars a pound before Sandy Hook. Now they want $1750.00 for the thing !!! DOH !!! have they gone crazy ??? Hammers are running 40 and 50 dollars used and beat up, and all the other blacksmith accessories have gone crazy in price. Anymore ...if you are gonna have a hobby of any kind, you have to be rich !! I better be happy with the few things I own as it doesn't look like I'll be able to afford anything new for a long while. I'm just glad I could stock up on some shooting components before everything went wild ............
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master

Like every other "Bubble" I've ever seen it will bust some day. Back 40 years ago ponies (the small horse type) got up to where they would bring more than a good "push button" horse. When it went bust they were down to killer prices. The gold buyers are seeing it now. I don't know when this ammunition will get back to normal, but it will. I'm a young 71 and I've seen a few cycles before.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Grand Master

When it went bust they were down to killer prices. The gold buyers are seeing it now. I don't know when this ammunition will get back to normal, but it will. I'm a young 71 and I've seen a few cycles before. -Ed Barrett

I asked my investment guy about a gold bubble bust several weeks back. He told me it couldn't happen. I reminded him folks used to say the same about real estate. I'll let it slide a bit more before I call him, gold prices are just silliness. Not as silly as the guns/ammo/component scene but close.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I told people over 18 months back that the gold bubble would bust but they kept buying it. When this ammo bubble bust we should be able to find a bunch of nuts that were trying to profit from this that can't pay their bills and have to sell their stock cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    I was totaly blowed away when I was told that, but my bother in law was at a gun show 2-3 weeks ago, he said it was a mad house and he stood by a table that was selling 22's at crazy prices and he saw a guy come up and ask the dealer if he still had those 6 bricks of 22LR's, dealer pick them up off the floor and put them on the table, they were the Winchester 36gr hollow points in the silver box's, the guy pull out 6-$100.00 bill's and that is what this guy bought. I have wanted a big Night Force scope for a long time, and I would have one, but I like being married!!If I could of just got a hold of that guy and drung him to my house, I would of sold some bricks for that price! I have allways shot a lot of 22's before I got hurt, every time I ended up at Wal Mart I would buy a brick or 2, so I have a few.
    G

I just ran across a box of primers I bought during the primer shortage in the 80s. They were the outragious price of $1.97/100.
    If I remember normal price was aroun $1/100. I only had one box because that is what retailers were limiting you to at the time. If I remember correct, prices went to $12/ brick after that.

Boolit Bub
    Call me a pessimist, but I doubt ammo will ever be back to normal prices again. The reason I say this is if the ammo companies are not crazy they are seeing what these idiots are paying. I thought $130 a brick at our local gun show was bad and then heard New Orleans gun show they were $230 per brick until I read this thread.

Moderator Emeritus

I let the Boy Scouts shoot of 300 of mine a few weeks ago, no charge.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

If ammo companies take an increase they still have to be carefull not to go overboard. You can double your price but risk reducing your volume. If you reduce your volume you may lose volume discounts for components increasing you costs and losing some of what you gained in price. Guys will still shoot....just not as much...... Volume sales are how businesses thrive (walmart) so they have to find that balance. Just because there are idiots out there paying $80-$100/brick for .22 ammo does not mean the ammo companies would get by with it. Don't be supprised if $30 becomes the new price for a brick of .22.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    The CMP announced a price increase on .22 Long Rifle Ammo on 3-25-2013 They said they had been notified of a price increase by their supplier, Aguila. The CMP price increase was $10 per case, from $250 to $260 equal to $1 a brick, but the CMP said they would honor the old price for existing orders.

They sell two types of .22 ammo and these prices mentioned are for the following type.

.22LR Standard Velocity SP CENTURION
    Manuf - Aguila-5000 rd/case. 40 gr., lead projectile, 1135
    fps.at muzzle - standard velocity. Brass cases of max
    resistance, manuf for perfect feeding in any typoe .22 rim-
    fire weapon. Technically designed bullets which provide max
    accuracy & due to their lubrication do not foul the barrel.
    Clean combustion gunpowder and high velocities at low
    pressure. ELEY prime process providing reliable ignition.

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/ammo.htm
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!