Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: 45-70 Load Question

Boolit Buddy

45-70 Load Question

Using a Marlin Model 1895GBL
    I am new to this cartridge.
    In Lyman’s 4th Edition there are several different categories for the 45-70 ie 1873 Springfield, 1886 Winchester and the 1895 Marlin.
    For example, using a 405 g boolet with IMR 4198;
    1873 Springfield: starting grains 31.5g thru 35g.
    1895 Marlin: starting grains 36.5g thru 40.5g.
    Is there any reason the 1873 load data would not work for this Marlin?
    Or would my powder charge range from 31.5 thru 40.5?
    Thanks!
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Banned

31.5 to 40.5

Just takes advantage of a stronger action is all.
    The 45-70 is a very forgiving cartridge.

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas
    Wots

I checked with the new Hodgdon load publication and it has the trap-door loads for a 405 cast alloy starting at 30.5 grains of IMR 4198 for a velocity of 1364 f/s which is about where the old "Government trap door" load originally was. You can stoke them up to 40+ grains but they become tiresome after several shots. You will enjoy the trap door load, millions of American Bison died from that round and it was specified to kill a horse at long distance (I think 500 yards).

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...

Boolit Master
    Wots the Springfield Trapdoor is a much weaker action so pressure-wise you're fine. But the Springfield can chamber a much longer cartridge than your levergun so just don't choose any loads that are longer than the max length your rifle will feed. 2.55" is generally a good length.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Wots, I should add one more thing. I shoot far more "Trapdoor" level loads out of my Marlins than any of the stronger loads. The are a lot more friendly to the shoulder

Chris.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Wots, I should add one more thing. I shoot far more "Trapdoor" level loads out of my Marlins than any of the stronger loads. The are a lot more friendly to the shoulder

Chris.
    +1 on what Gunlaker stated!!!!!
    I load for three 45-70's all in modern lever actions and find the Trapdoor loads more than good for my needs. And yes you can load it from mild to wild. With that said I am happy with the mild to middle of the road loads. I like using VARGET in mine.

Tom

Boolit Grand Master
    I love the 45/70 for exactly the reasons afore mentioned. I can load 15 grains of unique for a 45 LC load thats fun to plink with and that I can shoot all after noon, or loadIMR 4198 or 3031 up to the point where I am shaking my fillings out. As long as you stick with flat-nosed boolits loaded to a COAL that'll feed, you'll be just fine. It is a great cast boolit launcher. And, should marauding buffalo start munching up the hygrangeas, you'll be ready for 'em.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Great chioce in cal. I love my 45-70 s All load will work in your lever except Ruger #1 data ! My favorite are the old 2400 loads with a tuft of dacron.