RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Stage verses Turret Press Question?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by march41 View Post
    Try a forster co-ax it is one of the fastest single stages out their,love mine for bpcr cals.
    2nd on the forster co-ax I use it for all of my rifle cartridges.
    Being able to snap dies in and out makes it faster than my RCBS Rockchucker.

I also have 2 Dillion 550B presses one for large primers another for small primers.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I clean primer pockets and prime cases by hand. I also weigh every charge on a RCBS 1010. Have to be careful, wife shoots my reloads, lol

Hope to average about 200 rounds per hour with the Hornady progressive without changing case prep or charging. Also hoping that the progressive press will be more consistent. The OAL goes up and down on the turret press. I recently noticed that my .40 turret head appears to be a little warped. Possibly from the added stress of de-glocking the .40 cases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    Hey that p200 is my 375 converted to metallic use. 10 stations on that bad boy. Could you do the 445 supermag on it?

Take care

r1kk1
    Im not sure but i loaded 44 mag on it for years! i belive that the working area would be ok ?
    In the past i have loaded 223 and 308 with the P&W but the brass was first sized with my single stage press ! so i really only seated the primer, dropped the powder charge and seated & taper crimped the bullet with it.

Boolit Master
    For handgun cartridges I size/deprime on a single stage, inspect, clean primer pocket as necessary, and store for future use or if loading right away put them in a tub. Then, when ready to load, I hand prime. Loading is done on a 3-hole Lee turret; powder charge/bell with a powder thru die, seat boolit, crimp. This process works very well for me for amount of ammo I use.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

I have a lee 4 holer works just like the old 2 holer that was out back

bl

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    For handgun cartridges I size/deprime on a single stage, inspect, clean primer pocket as necessary, and store for future use or if loading right away put them in a tub. Then, when ready to load, I hand prime. Loading is done on a 3-hole Lee turret; powder charge/bell with a powder thru die, seat boolit, crimp. This process works very well for me for amount of ammo I use.
    If I had a turret press this approach would be the one that I would probably employ, and as BruceB
    has indicated the time saving would be in not handling the brass quite so many times. It's also been
    stated that you would produce more ammo per stroke in another post.. ?I don't see that a turret would
    create more ammo per handle stroke? A progressive definitely yes. (that isn't the question)Die
    changes are not an issue with me whether using the co-ax or any other single stage for that
    matter, I have dummie rounds for everything I load so you' re talking the time it takes to screw the
    die. A turret obviously would make this a bit more convenient for sure if the dies were
    already in a turret head. Good conversation. Maybe I need to take a look at a progressive.

On Heaven's Range

By way of comparing production rates with others on this this thread:

Using the All-American and LOADING EACH CASE TO COMPLETION before taking it out of the press, I usually load around 200 handgun rounds per hour.... without a lot of rushing or scurrying around.

I've never bothered timing runs on the Dillon 550, but it's a lot higher-production than the turret.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Smile o6 Patient, and all Ya'll too:

Your most recent post tells me you have not, perhaps, had much experience with a turret press?

BruceB says it all with "the case is not removed" and "each case to completion".

The turret is a different philosophy. On occasion, I can, and do fill the MTM blocks with completed rounds ALMOST as quickly as the Pro7 when left alone, undisturbed, and without distraction. It is all about 'getting your rythym on'. This requires a self imposed dicipline and (for me) great attention to detail. Concentration. A calming mind and brain therapy. Takes one's thoughts away, even if temporarily so, all the stinkery in D.C. At 74 years I am in no particular hurry anyway.

Enjoy your time at whatever press you may choose. There are many in this Golden Era of at home reloading.

Be of good cheer, thanks for listening...
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by o6Patient View Post
    I have always used a single stage press set up and have not in the past loaded enough
    volume in my mind to justify the cost of a good progressive set up. (Yet)
    I do every once in a while think I might be missing something not having a turret press.
    I have in the past resisted and let the urge pass but recently it has come back again.

Is there any real advantage a turret press has over a single stage press other than die set
    up time which isn't much for me because I've always created a "dummie " round set up for
    each and every bullet combination I load for.? What if anything am I missing? (thanks)

First , I recommend the Lee cast iron turret press , hands down .

I loaded on a single stage Lee Challenger press for years . I loaded in batches & used a hand primer tool .

So , I know both methods .

With the Lee cast iron turret press , as you said , you set up your dies in a turret . Once set , if you do not change anything ( like the bullet ) , Next tome , you just plunk the turret into the press and you are ready to go . ( I do move the disk powder measure from turret to turret . )

The on press priming , if you buy the safety prime system , is very good . It works on the down travel of the ram , after the case has been sized .

Each pull of the handle auto-indexes the turret to the next die . With the powder die and disk powder measure , powder dispensing becomes automatic .

The real savings is you handle the case only twice . Once to put the case into the shell holder and once to remove the loaded round of ammo . You do have to pick up a bullet and put it into the mouth of the case . But you have to do that on a single stage press , too .

One round of loaded ammo , every 4 cycles of the handle .

I use carbide sizing dies on hand gun brass and do not lube the brass . So I do not have to wipe the lube off the loaded ammo .

Bottle neck rifle brass has to be pre-processed , as on a single stage press & lube wiped off .

God bless
    Wyr

The fellas that actually answered your question pretty well covered it...Like most here I have and use both. If a person is setup and experienced in batch loading, they could probably come close in production..let's say a turret will do 150 an hr. and batch loading 100...I'm sure those are variable numbers depending on who's loading...but they pretty much will mimic my numbers...the biggest advantage to me for the turret press is ease of use and plain old convenience..I still do 100% of my bottleneck rifle rounds on a SS..

Boolit Bub
    When I was active in Black Powder Cartridge Rifle shooting, I loaded lots of ammo in .40-63 and .40-65 calibers. Also, some in .45-70. You HAVE to clean the cases BEFORE you store them for loading. Decapping is necessary before cleaning. If you do that in a single stage with a sizing die, there is usually enought residual lube on the cases to not need to lube them. BUt you DO need to clean the die when done. Cleaning cases involves water to dissolve/remove the fouling or the case will be ruined in short order if the humidity is anything like it is here in the Ohio Valley. The cases must be thoroughly dried for obvious reasons. Those who like to "feel" the primer seating operation can do so off line in a hand press as I did. You then can insert the clean/primed case in a four-station press and have room to crimp separately if needed. If I'd had the Lee four-station modification back then, I'd have used it to prime on the press, as I like that priming system. I have not yet set up my Dillon 550.

Banned

Like night and day!

lee classic cast turret press vid beliw:
    http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...4ADB456B95.mp4

Boolit Master
    There seems to be some classification confusion here.

When I hear someone talking about turret presses, Lymans, Reddings, RCBS, and Hollywoods come to mind.

Now if your talking about self indexing turrets, then it's Lee all the way.

Now the title of this thread did not differentiate. But maybe we need some classification in the future maybe? It sure makes a difference when talking about production rates or ease of this or that.

I mean, to me, the Lee turrets are really a progressive press. The turrets index instead of the shell plate.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    There seems to be some classification confusion here.

When I hear someone talking about turret presses, Lymans, Reddings, RCBS, and Hollywoods come to mind.

Now if your talking about self indexing turrets, then it's Lee all the way.

Now the title of this thread did not differentiate. But maybe we need some classification in the future maybe? It sure makes a difference when talking about production rates or ease of this or that.

I mean, to me, the Lee turrets are really a progressive press. The turrets index instead of the shell plate.
    You are partially correct . To me , the auto-index turret press is the other style of turret press .

Different mindset , different method of operation . Different outcome , in terms of production .

God bless
    wyr

Moderator Emeritus
    [QUOTE=BruceB;2012511]
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    The speed difference for a properly set up single stage and turret isnt that great."

It really depends on how one USES the turret.

For my routine on the All-American, the case is placed in the shellholder and IS NOT REMOVED until completely loaded. I turn the turret from station to station to accomplish this.

There is NO time lost to handling cases over and over again before they're finally loaded. Many people will process all the brass through one step, such as sizing, and only then turn the turret to begin mouth-flaring all the brass, and only then move the turret for powder charging (if they even do the charging in the press)) and so on. All this unnecessary case-handling eats up time and does nothing to improve the ammunition. Use the turret press AS A TURRET, not just a place to store dies.

This is MUCH faster than a single-stage press; I started on a single 47 years ago, and believe me, I know. I still use a single, and a turret, and a progressive...they all have their uses but for routine loading the turret really shines.

Concur absolutely. I have a Redding T7 and Lyman Tru Line Junior turret presses and when used as a turret as described by BruceB in his posts in this thread then they are a very useful halfway house 'tween single and progressive presses. I don't think it worth while setting up the progressives for batches of ammunition less than 500 rounds but I have many calibres that I load maybe 2-300 rounds at a time as that is all the cases I have like 310 Cadet or 32-20. The turrets really come into their own then. I still use my single stages including a Co-Ax for load development small batches and BPCR handloading. If it came down to having only a progressive or a Turret then I'd keep the turret for its versatility as a single station press and enhanced production.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Grand Master

It is a factor of to each his own, and that includes his time. Have both, use both, no problems with either.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy

I have both and use the single stage for rifle and the Lee Pro 1000 for pistols. I like Lee products and for what I use them for, they suit me fine.

Boolit Master
    I shoot Cowboy Action and shoot roughly 200-250 rounds a week either in practice or competition.

Cowboy action shooting is extreme rapid fire.You can really ruin your day by firing a squib load lodging a bullet in the barrel and with the excitement of rapid fire, firing a full load round (or worse, a double charged round) right behind it. I shoot "Open Top" 1860 vintage revolvers and antique rifles. Having one of these blow up on you would not only be dangerous to body, it would be devastating to wallet!

Therefore, I use a Lee three hole. I deprime and flare.....remove case, hand prime and droip powder to 50 cases at a time. In this way I can then look at all 50 cases on the loading block to be sure they all have the correct amount of powder.

I seat the bullet and depending on the cartridge, I crimp during seating or I use a seperate Lee Factory Crimp Die.

For 45LC that I shoot in modern, Ruger SAA revolvers, I use a Lee 1000 progressive load. These Ruger revolvers could handle a double charge or a squib with another round after it...(don't ask me how I know... ) Has never happened to me, but I've seen it happen a time or two with no ill effects.

Hope this helps..........
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by walltube View Post
    Your most recent post tells me you have not, perhaps, had much experience with a turret press?

BruceB says it all with "the case is not removed" and "each case to completion".

The turret is a different philosophy. On occasion, I can, and do fill the MTM blocks with completed rounds ALMOST as quickly as the Pro7 when left alone, undisturbed, and without distraction. It is all about 'getting your rythym on'. This requires a self imposed dicipline and (for me) great attention to detail. Concentration. A calming mind and brain therapy. Takes one's thoughts away, even if temporarily so, all the stinkery in D.C. At 74 years I am in no particular hurry anyway.

Enjoy your time at whatever press you may choose. There are many in this Golden Era of at home reloading.

Be of good cheer, thanks for listening...
    Wt.
    ...I guess that would be the premise of the the thread.....erh? (see post #1

I guess I should have been more specific as to turret head, self indexing turret, verses progressive, etc.
    ..That would show I knew little about these type of presses(although it's hardly rocket science) but have
    learned a great deal from all the posts so far. (thx much
    My initial question should have asked: is there any real benefit to a manual indexing turret head press over a single stage or in my case, a multiple single stage set up.

I guess BruceB wrapped it up best for me: "There is NO time lost to handling cases over and over again
    before they're finally loaded."