Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Tumbler - You guys were right!

Quote Originally Posted by march41 View Post
    I use a thumbler tumbler mod B , with ceramic media and soap from dave maurer in MI. It works great,I think buffalo arms sells it.Daves phone is 517-669-9801, he is great to deal with.
    Ditto. I have been using the same ceramics for years. They never wear out. I think they clean really well but by some of the pictures I have seen the SS pins may be even better. Also my ceramics will bridge in the primer pockets so I tumble before sizing and de-capping. 2 problems with that is the primer pockets don't get cleaned and don't get the chance to clean the case lube off.

Boolit Master

I dont think id wet tumble lube off anyways. I'd be inclined to put them in the vibratory tumbler to clean the lube off and tumble the loaded rounds.

Boolit Bub
    what about glass media?
    Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
    John Adams
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

For my rants on things important and not:
    http://commonmanandamerica.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
    WARNING, WARNING, WILL ROBINSON.......

Citric acid (all the citrus cleaners) is Very hard on the rubber liner of the Thumbler's Tumbler!!!!
    It will break it down and cause it to 'stretch', it becomes much more susceptible to holes in it too.
    Not seen that particular problem use citric acid all the time without breakdown and stretching of the boot, in fact lemi-shine is citric acid.

Boolit Buddy
    FYI- I use the frankfort armory non arisol spray lube and love it- I called and they said grumbled with soapy water not just works but is best for removing their lube. (before you load the rounds of course)

Boolit Buddy
    Wet tumbling will not leave a factory type tarnish preventative, and the cases may, depending on factors such as products used, storage temperature and humidity, have a propensity to lose their "freshly cleaned shine". A small price to pay for the advantages of vibration free cleaning, and clean primer pockets with no dust in the air.

Tumbling black powder cases to get back to the factory level is a little difficult, so accepting an antique patina sort of fits the type of firearm and powder they are used with.

Boolit Bub
    Has anyone used a tumbler from harbor freight with the SS media and the cleaning soap that goes with it? They are allot cheaper than some of the others i've seen on the internet.

Just spend the bucks and get thumblers mod B,it will last longer then you will,use cermic or ss pins.you will love it.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    what about glass media?
    If you are talking about glass beads like the media used in bead blasters.....no. Tried it- it's too abrasive. Left the cases with a finely scratched surface that was more like a satin finish paint- not gloss like factory rounds.

Boolit Mold
    Hey, do you add lemi-shine or citric acid to your water/soap mix? Citric acid is supposed to "passivate" brass, meaning that it creates an oxidized layer on the brass and it will resist further tarnishing. Also, you have to make sure that the brass is nice and dry after you tumble it, that's as simple as tossing it on an old towel in the sun.

After I wet tumble my brass, it comes out really clean but ... NOT SHINY! Maybe I leave it in the solution too long. Doing a vibratory session with nu-finish will shine them up, if that's important.

I mostly use the wet tumble for mud caked, tarnished outdoor range brass.

Anyway, if you aren't using lemi-shine or citric acid in the solution, give it a try and see if the wet tumbled stuff doesn't tarnish.

Boolit Mold
    I add it to the corncob polishing I do to remove the lube after resizing

Boolit Mold
    Lemishine is the trick to get it really shiny. I use it in the tumbling process and after rinsing I let the brass sit for 10 minutes in clean water with lemishine as well

Boolit Mold
    +1 on dawn

Boolit Mold
    Some brass p0rn fresh from the tumbler

Boolit Mold
    Sorry. Having trouble adding a picture itch my iPad. Anyone cast some light on what I'm doing wrong?

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a large rock tumbler of ebay it will do about 700, 308 cases at a time, it work great for me much faster on the cleaning of the brass, the tumbler is cheaply made and will probably tear up by the time i finish this run of brass when it does i am going to make a dual drum tumbler that i can do 2500-3000, 308 cases at a time

http://biggdawgtumblers.com/5601.html
    Go here if you want a redy made solution for large capacity brass tumbling. I bought a large drum from him but had the items needed to build my own frame .

Boolit Bub
    Do the tumblers need flat surfaces to roll the brass, or will a round, smooth inside "bucket" work ok? It would be easy to take something like a large coffee can, tip it so the liquid stays in, and just set up a motor to roll it slowly?

Allen

Boolit Mold
    If it round and smooth, will need strips inside to get the brass to tumble instead of sitting at he bottom

Quote Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
    Do the tumblers need flat surfaces to roll the brass, or will a round, smooth inside "bucket" work ok? It would be easy to take something like a large coffee can, tip it so the liquid stays in, and just set up a motor to roll it slowly?

Allen

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    http://biggdawgtumblers.com/5601.html
    Go here if you want a redy made solution for large capacity brass tumbling. I bought a large drum from him but had the items needed to build my own frame .
    dang it i wish i had known about this before i bought mine,the one i bought on ebay is stamped sheet metal with cheap press in bearings and i paid $330, oh well such is life