Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Tumbler - You guys were right!

Rotary Tumbler - You guys were right!

You guy who have been using the rotary tumblers and stainless pins are absolutely correct on how well they work. I picked up a used Lortone Model R Rotary Tumbler from flea Bay last week. I ran the first batch through it today. They were filthy range pickups. Dumped in approximately 750 223's, stainless pins, some dish soap and Lemi Shine. Had to make a delivery so they were in approximately 3 hours. Opened it up at 5pm this afternoon. OMG! They are shiny bright and clean and no dust to breath in while separating brass from the media. Wow, I see no need to use the two Lyman dust bowls again!

Boolit Buddy
    I thought the same thing. I traded off my old, trusty Midway vibratory machine. Two months later, I wished I had it back. Not because I didnt like the spotlessly clean brass. (as clean on the inside as it was on the outside, and a shiny clean primer pocket) The pin tumbled brass tarnishes because it is perfectly clean. The vibrating tumblers are typically used with New Finish which protects the brass (somewhat) from tarnishing. So now I use both.

I keep the old ones to post load tumble to knock the lube off. Can"t do that wet with stainless...

Vendor Sponsor

You really need both. You use the rotary with pins for clean up of really filthy brass and the vibro's for tumbling brass between loadings of your front line brass once it has been shot.

It is pointless and a lot more work to tumble your brass with pins everytime you shoot it. Also using the vibro to polish cases with Nu Finish will apply a coating of wax that will keep the cases from tarnishing. If you don't do something like that, your newly cleaned cases from the SS pins will look bad in a few days.

Don't ever off your reloading tools, new uses will come up from time to time for just about everything you have.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Also using the vibro to polish cases with Nu Finish will apply a coating of wax that will keep the cases from tarnishing. If you don't do something like that, your newly cleaned cases from the SS pins will look bad in a few days.
    when do you add the Nu finish wax coating?
    in the wet tumble or after the brass is removed and dried?
    hello.

I don't know what everybody else is doing to have their brass tarnish after it has been tumble with stainless steel pins in a "few" days. Mine doesn't tarnish quickly. I've had some brass laying around for more than 6 months that is still shiny.

Cast Boolits Owner

I wet clean the brass with pins, dry it then run it in the dry tumbler with NU-finish. This keeps it shiny for a long time. Please keep in mind that I don't always wet clean my brass after it is shot but I always dry tumble it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mason View Post
    when do you add the Nu finish wax coating?
    in the wet tumble or after the brass is removed and dried?
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    I don't know what everybody else is doing to have their brass tarnish after it has been tumble with stainless steel pins in a "few" days. Mine doesn't tarnish quickly. I've had some brass laying around for more than 6 months that is still shiny.
    Some of mine has been sitting around for about 9 months.. hasn't tarnished... (I do store my brass in bags of 100 pieces though..)
    I have thought of using some Zipwax, instead of the soap... Might have to give it a try one of these days.. not sure how it will work with citric acid in the mix..
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I keep the old ones to post load tumble to knock the lube off. Can"t do that wet with stainless...
    that's my only problem.... I love my thumbler but can't figure how to clean the lube...

Originally Posted by jmorris
    I keep the old ones to post load tumble to knock the lube off. Can"t do that wet with stainless...that's my only problem.... I love my thumbler but can't figure how to clean the lube...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
    that's my only problem.... I love my thumbler but can't figure how to clean the lube...
    I use water soluable LEE lube and a 10 minute tumble. No problem's.

I use water soluable LEE lube and a 10 minute tumble. No problem's
    Are you saying to wet tumble loaded rounds?

Banned

I Decap (Lee universal), wet rotary tumble, Resize (lube if needed), wash - if lubed (best way to remove the RCBS lube), oven dry - if washed(it's faster), dry vibe tumble /w Nufinish.
    Cases are then stored in those ~$1 clear plastic "shoe boxes" from wally world until I'm ready to load em.

Oh and try "Washing Soda" instead of lemishine, works just as well, comes in a Big box and is 1/3 the cost.
    All either are is a water softener.
    Last edited by Frozone; 01-15-2013 at 03:08 PM.

I use a thumbler tumbler mod B , with ceramic media and soap from dave maurer in MI. It works great,I think buffalo arms sells it.Daves phone is 517-669-9801, he is great to deal with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 7of7 View Post
    .............. not sure how it will work with citric acid in the mix..
    WARNING, WARNING, WILL ROBINSON.......

Citric acid (all the citrus cleaners) is Very hard on the rubber liner of the Thumbler's Tumbler!!!!
    It will break it down and cause it to 'stretch', it becomes much more susceptible to holes in it too.

Boolit Buddy
    humm, I guess I need to see if my lube is water soluable.

any suggestions on removing lube from loaded rounds? I've got some I forgot and loaded up a while ago. I've been meaning to ask for a couple months!

Boolit Buddy
    humm, I guess I need to see if my lube is water soluable.

any suggestions on removing lube from loaded rounds? I've got some I forgot and loaded up a while ago. I've been meaning to ask for a couple months!

Boolit Master

I just put them in the vibratory tumbler

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Are you saying to wet tumble loaded rounds?
    No. I size,tumble to clean then load the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by 7of7 View Post
    Some of mine has been sitting around for about 9 months.. hasn't tarnished... (I do store my brass in bags of 100 pieces though..)
    I have thought of using some Zipwax, instead of the soap... Might have to give it a try one of these days.. not sure how it will work with citric acid in the mix..
    I have some brass that was cleaned last spring so just about a year and they look the same as when I first did them. I wonder if it is a humidity thing. I live in a dry climate and my brass is stored in individual shoe sized plastic bins with no lids.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Buddy
    I think some dishwashing soap tarnished and some doesn't. I've read this several times before and was told to spend the extra dollar for the dawn/joy I THINK and not the palm-something BUT I might be off with the brands, I don't know much about dish-soap!