MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with the 9mm.

Boolit Master

Struggling with the 9mm.

So I'm giving the 9mm in a Glock a try. Been twenty years since I loaded any lead in a Glock, don't recall a thing I did before.

My boolit is a Lyman 356634, drops at .358 and 140 grains sized & lubed with LARs 2500. Air cooled wheel weights that test out at 9 to 11 BHN. I've pulled a boolit after the final loading step. Size is unchanged, once I took the Lee Factory Crimp die out. See the pic.

The Glock factory barrel and my Lonewolf after market barrel are both .356 and a tiny bit, measured with a Starrett mic.

I have seated the boolit as deep as you see or it will hit the end of the throat/rifling. At first I sized them at .3572, the actual size my ".357" sizing die gives me. Loaded over five grains of HS-6 gave me some pretty good leading out of both barrels. Leading started just slightly passed the end of the chamber, all the way around the barrel and full length.

So without changing anything else, I found a sizer die that would give me .358, used that. Didn't change the leading at all. The load was up at the top, there was a pretty good impression of the breech face's rectangular firing pin hole in the primers. They are Winchester Small Pistol by the way.

So yesterday I dropped the powder to 4.5 grains. Greatly reduced the leading and the primers were rounded with the barest hint of the breech face in 'em. But they still lead.

Mmm.

Tried three grains of Universal Clays, everything else the same of course. No change, leads both barrels.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Cat
    Last edited by Catshooter; 01-04-2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Give more data.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

What's your alloy?
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    So I'm giving the 9mm in a Glock a try. Been twenty years since I loaded any lead in a Glock, don't recall a thing I did before.

My boolit is a Lyman 356634, drops at .358 and 140 grains sized & lubed with LARs 2500. See the pic.

The Glock factory barrel and my Lonewolf after market barrel are both .356 and a tiny bit, measured with a Starrett mic.

I have seated the boolit as deep as you see or it will hit the end of the throat/rifling. At first I sized them at .3572, the actual size my ".357" sizing die gives me. Loaded over five grains of HS-6 gave me some pretty good leading out of both barrels. Leading started just slightly passed the end of the chamber, all the way around the barrel and full length.

So without changing anything else, I found a sizer die that would give me .358, used that. Didn't change the leading at all. The load was up at the top, there was a pretty good impression of the breech face's rectangular firing pin hole in the primers. They are Winchester Small Pistol by the way.

So yesterday I dropped the powder to 4.5 grains. Greatly reduced the leading and the primers were rounded with the barest hint of the breech face in 'em. But they still lead.

Mmm.

Tried three grains of Universal Clays, everything else the same of course. No change, leads both barrels.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Cat
    Did you slug the barrel? Sound to me like you have have too large a bullet.

Boolit Master
    You didn't say what alloy you are using. It might be too soft or hard. Possibly the expander ball on your die is too small, and the bullet is being sized smaller, as it is being seated in the case. Another possibility is, the taper crimper is adjusted too far down, reducing bullet diameter also, as the 9mm is a tapered case. I have had this happen to me.

Boolit Master

Pretty smart of me to leave out the alloy. Fixed now.

Cat

Boolit Master

Cat - I found in my 4 9mm guns that an alloy of 3% tin, 3% antimony, air cooled, gave me better accuracy and only a trace of leading running 122 gr TC CB's at 1200+ fps. I go 6-800 rounds between cleaning, there is no buildup. The ACWW alloy did lead a little in my guns. All of mine like .356 so that is what I use with Lars CR lube. BTW, HS6 works great for me, as does Power Pistol.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master

You're just making me cry Cherokee. I beleive you. Sounds like the 9 works for lots of people. I know my earlier work wasn't leading. But it sure is now. I'm talking five rounds and a third to a half of the bore is coated.

What a puzzler.

Cat

I like 3.5-4grs bulleye for that boolit in the 9mm. hs-6 is for major power.
    High Hook

Boolit Master
    You mean Lyman 356637 (nominal 147 gr). The Lyman 4th Ed shows 5.0 gr of HS-6 as a max load with 4.4 as the starter.

I've had very good luck with 9MM in LW barrels for both Glock 17 and 22 along with my CZ 75B. I think your alloy as you describe is fine. I have no experience with #356637. I use Lyman 358242 and 356402 and Lee 356-120-TC and 356-125-2R all sized to .358 in a Lyman 450 with LAR's White Label 2500+. I use an intact LEE FDC on every round and I get absolutely no leading in the LW barrels and on a good day they'll all shoot to one ragged hole. The FDC is set to 1/2 turn crimp. My favorite powder is Blue Dot and I don't get anywhere near the max load. Yes, I use the FDC with 40 S&W and .45 ACP with equally good results.

I believe you are sizing but I have to say that boolit on the table in the picture does not look like it has been touched by a sizing die. I agree with 6bg6ga your boolit may be too big.

Boolit Master

Yea, the boolit in the pic hasn't been sized. With the .358 sizind die it just barely touches the boolit.

My Lee FCD will size the boolit down to .355. Both the Glock and my Lone Wolfe bores are .356, with the LW maybe going to .3562.

Cat

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Keep in mind the pressure levels that this cartridge runs at. Use an alloy that will withstand that pressure level or one that is tough and malleable.... which doesn't necessarily mean having a great deal of alloy hardening components. Would you run air cooled wheel weights out of a rifle with a plain base boolit at those pressures and expect something different? Your first sizing diameter was fine, your alloy choice and hardness was not.

Boolit Master

Cat if your pulled bullets are still .357-.358 then I think I'd try a lube change. I never had any trouble with 9's(Firestar,2 BHP's and a Kahr) as long as I didn't try to push velocities with BE or other fast powders. I ran in the 1300 fps range with the BHP's using Longshot and Blue dot powder with very light streak leading that looked the same after 100 shots as it did after 1 shot. I also used the dreaded "crayon" hard lubes from Magma and Rooster(still do). Good luck to ya!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned

see post number 11.
    try just water dropping the alloy.

you are running staright into rifling with no type of lead in.
    real common now days.
    it's displacing the soft alloy and you are dragging it down the bbl.
    if the harder alloy don't fix it throating the bbl will.

Boolit Buddy
    The one thing I do different than you is water drop. I use Autocomp which is next to HS6 on the burn rate chart and Rooster Zambini lube. I have a glock 34 with the factory barrel and I have minimal leading. (In fact, it has not seen copper bullets since the factory...about 4K boolits and no trouble.)

Boolit Buddy

Gas checks on the 9mm

Catshooter
    I have no problem with the advice given so far. It's all good. There is now another option called Plain Base Gas Checks. Some way down in the Gas Checks forum are experimenting with plain base gas checks for pistol calibers. You use the same boolets you now use but,you size on a very thin gas check. This can be done in the sizeing step or even retrofitted on already made boolets. Aluminum from pop and beer cans is the metal used. I too have had leading problems with 9mm and also 38 super. I am now making the PB gas checks for my 9mm. I haven't yet shot any of them as it's too nasty out to do much outside. I do have a bunch made. I can send you some to try out ,if you want to give them a try.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Master

That boolit at 140 grains is exactly what I would like to have. For now, I'm using the Lee 356-120 TC over 5 grains of Unique. Mine cast at 125 grains and measure .358 which is the sizing die I use. I tried sizing to .357 and they keyholed in my LW conversion barrel and in my buddies stock Glock. They also did poorly in my Camp Carbine. Anybody want a slightly used (500 rounds) .357 Lyman sizer? I went back to .358 and use BAC for lube. These also shot well with some home made loob but were a bit smokey. Leading wasn't really a problem, even with the .357 boolits which seemed odd but they were done with my loob which was slicker than snot. Of late, I'm using plain based gas checks because I can make them and it is something new to play with. The Glock with a LW conversion barrel was a tack driver without the checks but I did notice the groups tightened up in some of my other 9mm pistols. I haven't shot the checked boolits through the carbine yet but I'm sure it will perform nicely. I would love to see how the carbine performed with the Lyman boolit as pictured above. I guess I need to order yet another mold for the collection.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

For all my 9mm I run approx harder alloys and often WD if the alloy doesn't air harden roughly 15-17bhn after 2 weeks. It was the biggest thing that ended any leading other than getting molds that dropped big enough to begin with. I think the sharp kick that the boolit gets disrupts to soft alloys and causes them to smear more(skid on the first part of rifling also), so a harder alloy helps stop that. I also prefer heavier , 140gr - 147gr for best accuracy.
    My powders of choice are AA#5, WSF, or Sr7625 under lead.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Loading a lead bullets in 9 mm Glock ,factory barrel for a while....think i fired about 4000 so far...Only alloy of 15 BHN min. works for me with N320..

Boolit Master

Struggling with the 9mm.

I'm having similar problems with a Sigma in 9mm right now. I've tried .356, .357, and .358 as size goes. Barrel slugs at .356ish. This is using both the 356402 and the 358242 120gr variant. Powers have been both unique, and BE. Leading starts in the first inch or so of the barrel, and eventually moves its way down to the end after about 200rds. Accuracy gets better as leading increases, and groups tighten. My next change is going to be in lube. These were lubbed with an old NRA hybrid lube. Going with carnuba red on the next set of trials.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master
    .357 works, .358 works a lot better.
    The 9mm was the hardest for me to get running, but now it does and runs well.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin