Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: first time paper patching: questions

Boolit Bub

first time paper patching: questions

I patched my first bullets today. They were 30 cal lee 170gr flat point and were patched as cast. I used regular 20 lb printer paper. Now I have a few questions:

1. How critical is it that the patch wrap two complete turns and the ends meet perfectly? I wrapped some that the ends are overlapped a bit, and some that the ends don't quite meet.

2. How critical is the wrapping on the nose of the bullet? Does the paper need to be completely square, parallel, etc with the nose of the bullet, or can it be spiraled a bit?

3. How do you get a consistent twist or fold on the base? Or, does it even matter?

4. These bullets will be used in a 30-06. What powder would fill the case to 100% and give about 2600-2700 fps? Sounds like that combo should provide about the best accuracy.

5. Can I shoot these as cast and wrapped? I do understand that this has to do with the throat and bore of my rifle, but is it worth a shot, until I can take casting of the chamber?

6. I've read about the green bar printer paper. Is this really worth getting? I'm sure I can get a hold of a lifetime supply for little or nothing if it's worth it.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions but this ought to get me started.

Well, one wants to eliminate that spiral effect and get the ends to almost meet but not overlap. To get a consistent fold one develops a technique for that. The whole process takes a little trial and error and practice. It does not take long to get there, just a little perseverance. Shoot those ones you've made and see how they go. Don't expect instant success. I'm not sure what velocity you should be hoping for nor what powder to suggest but starting loads are normally indicated. I do prefer a powder that fills the case.

For practice, you might try dry wrapping. Just keep adjusting the patch to get it aligned properly then once you've go the hang of it try wet wrapping.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I see a number of mistakes happening here. There is a sticky here titled "What works for me." Check it out. As cast and wrapped with 20# will be waaay to big.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    Sven556,

In addition to all the excellent advice you will receive here, I recommend you download the FREE NRA Cast Bullet Manual from Castpics. You will see how the NRA did PP.

Best regards,

CJR

Banned

There's a problem in asking for what powder will fill the case and give you 2700 fps with a 170-grain boolit and you don't even know your chamber neck dimension, loaded case neck dimension, or anything about the chamber or bore of the rifle. Put on the brakes for a minute, back up, and do your homework. What you're doing CAN be very dangerous, even though those of us who have more experience may appear to discuss full-house PP loading casually. You can be assured we've done the necessary checking and fitting, as well as very cautious load workups with each individual gun we use.

Gear

[QUOTE=sven556;1964051]I patched my first bullets today. They were 30 cal lee 170gr flat point and were patched as cast. I used regular 20 lb printer paper. Now I have a few questions:

4. These bullets will be used in a 30-06. What powder would fill the case to 100% and give about 2600-2700 fps? Sounds like that combo should provide about the best accuracy.

I would look at Reloader 19 or 22 or IMR 4350. They won't necessarily fill the case to the point of compression but they will certainly occupy a majority of the internal volume of an 06 and like ly get you the velocity you seek.

5. Can I shoot these as cast and wrapped? I do understand that this has to do with the throat and bore of my rifle, but is it worth a shot, until I can take casting of the chamber?

Depends upon how big they are. As another already said, they are really big. You need a good dial caliper at minimum and best a good micrometer. Good used ones are not that expensive, eg. Starrett and Brown & Sharp. Slug your bore and make an impact cast of your chamber throat. These will tell you what you absolutely need to know about size. I am guessing now but suspect if your bullet is sized to at least .308, wrapped in printer paper then sized to .310 for your 06, you can get by. Success requires measurement and fit.
    Your other questions have been well answered. Don't know about green bar paper so can't answer.
    Good Luck,
    Dan

QUOTE]

Banned

4350 is too fast for 26-2700 fps in this combo. I'll share some load info that got there in my rifle when we get the basics worked out here. In my opinion, reading the sticky Pdawg mentioned is really all the information a person needs to learn the whole process of PP'ing for a cartridge like the .30-'06, and I've read every book I can find on the subject. There isn't that MUCH to know, but the information you need is very specific and difficult to get elsewhere for high-velocity, modern bottleneck cartridges.

Gear

He COULD learn the hard way as I did. But that is why I posted what works for me. I had a lot of frustration learning back then. I did not have a site like this to smooth the way. It was all by guess and by God. Lot easier to listen and learn. Lot cheaper too.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

In Remembrance

The accepted manner of wrapping is to use a slightly undersized lead core to start with. If you aren`t sizeing the wrapped bullet the wraps on the core should equal the desired finished bullet diameter for use. As far as powder charges to use with the wrapped bullet, consult a loading manual for jacketed bullets. Weigh the wrapped bullet to find the total weight. Consult the load tables for a similar weight jacketed bullet, find a powder you wish to use, start at the lowest charge for that powder and start from there. Just remember you must walk first before you can run. The paper wrap should be up on the bullet to where the taper of the bullet nose begins.Robert

Well, perhaps sven556 could test his patched boolit for fit in the throat. What I do is drop the boolit into the chamber then measure its base depth relative to the case neck/shoulder junction. If it fits the throat then that would be a good start.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Sven 556,

The two NRA manual downloads,containing info on PP, are "NRA Cast Bullets by Harrison" and "NRA Cast Bullet Supplement 1". They are located at; "Castpics\Articles\Classic Works\ "NRA Cast Bullets by Harrison OR NRA Cast Bullets Supplement1".

Best regards,

CJR