Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 45 colt load

Boolit Mold

Re: Looking for a 45 colt load

My Rugar Besley and Rossi 92 both like the Lee 300gr. pill over 20.8gr. of H110.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Going up to 10 grs of unique won't hurt a thing, matter of fact if you look at Alliants web data you'll see they list 9.5 grs with a 260 gr bullet.They also show a 2400 load
    But while you're there you might also want to take a gander at the load they list with bluedot. I have been using that load quite a bit as of late, and finding my 45 colt guns like it just as good and maybe a bit better than the 9 grs of unique I've been using for 40 someodd years. The velocity is quite good, and you don't have to worry about stressing things out with +P loads.
    Another favorite in a rifle is 25 grs of 4198, but I don't use that one much as it doesn't work as well in my handguns.
    20 grs of 4227 has also been a long time often recommended load in the 45 colt, but I never could get the accuracy from that one that I can from others.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy

I have an H & R Handi in 45 Colt that can take some hot loads. I use 19 grains of H-110 with a magnum primer. It is very accurate in this rifle.

Boolit Master
    You didn't mention what your main use was going to be for. No sense beating you gun if you are just using it as a shooter. For my shooter, I like 7.5 gr 231 with the Lyman 452644 RNFP, cast from WW @ 260 gr in my 1894 Marlin. Gets me 1070 fps. 9.0 gr of Unique shoots decently also, giving similar ballistics. I have had trouble getting SWC's such as the Lyman 452424 and 452423 to feed smoothly, as the shoulder of the bullets catch on the edge of the chamber, glancing off, but still eventually chambering. The switch to the RNFP eliminated that. The meplat on the RNFP is huge, so I feel little is gained over the SWC bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Since the Rossi clone is chambered in 454Mag and even the .480, Ruger loads in the .45Colt are not a problem. The main difference in those magnum chamberings is the threaded magazine tube. As recoil in those calibers in development had mags jump the mag cap screw recessed into the barrel.

Yep, look at "Ruger" loads, but then you have to keep those away from any toggle link actions or Colt & Colt-sized clones to ensure you don't damage them or yourself.

Those "stouter" loads will also help expand the case and seal off the action from fouling common with .45Colt chambered rifles. (A necessary evil in that the chambers of lever, pump or auto-loading rifles need to be a tad larger to facilitate the jostling around the cartridges must do to feed and chamber.

Lastly, if you're adding soft lead to your WWs, you'll probably want to stop as your loads approach 1400fps. Unless you're gas-checking 'em. I run either straight WWs or even add some linotype to up my Bhn scale. Who needs the leading?
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Mold
    Assuming your alloy and sizing are up to the task you can use Hodgdon's LilGun and H110 loads for the jacketed boolits out of their website with those 250 Gr. alloy boolits, I have run them in my Rossi .45 Colt with the 24 inch tube. I get some leading but three four jacket loads blows the lead out leaving an easy cleanup.

I've chrono'd the 300 grain bullet in front of a max load of H110, it gave about the same velocity as that old Remington 300 gr .45-70 load that used to rule the deer camps back when so many folks carried surplus Trapdoor Springfields. That crescent steel buttplate sure did get my full attention. The Rossi is a lot stronger than my poor ol' shoulder.

Hi, Griff! Thanks for the help showing me how to use that six cavity mould back a few years ago. Those Big Lube Boolits work well, even with some loads with that heathen fad smokeyless stuff.

Half the year in Canada and the other half in Mexico
    I too use a 250 grain RNFP cast bullet about a 12 on the hardness scale. I run these out of a 92 Rossi trapper and a Rossi Ranch Hand.
    I have had very accurate loads with 7.6 grains of Red Dot ; 11.0 grains of Power Pistol; 24.0 grains of IMR 4227; and 12.0 grains of VV 3N37.
    The only load that I dislike for any reason is the 4227 powder leaves a lot of clinkers and crud in the barrel and is not very economical.- 24.0 grains.
    11.0 grains of Power Pistol does it all and is an excellent hunting load. I have not seen or heard any more report or flash with this powder. Keep on hearing this but just don't see it.
    I also use Fed 150 primers save for the 4227 which is magnum primer load.
    now these are my loads in my guns and I would hope any user will act or use with caution.

Doc

Half the year in Canada and the other half in Mexico
    I forgot to mention that if your shooting a Rossi ; They come with sights that belong back in the Brazilian Amazon, or China
    Replace both ends with Marbles sights and get the most out of your rifle and ammo. Mine never even wore the original sights home.
    Doc

Boolit Buddy
    200 - 255 grain Lee bullet with 8 grains of Unique in S&W , slightly more in lever gun ( Rossi ) .

God bless
    Wyr

QUOTE=longhorn;1951006]I've shout literally thousands of rounds of 10 grains of Unique under a 250 to 260 gr cast "Keith" bullets from Ruger Blackhawks; frankly, I wouldn't give $5 for a Rossi lever I had to keep, but that load should be fine in your carbine.[/QUOTE]

You probably don't have $5.00 to give for any rifle, pistol or book of matches. When you get off the keyboard and learn something about the shooting business you might become acceptable company.[

I searched loads for a long summer for my 1873 rifle, 45 colt. My best load was with a light dose of 2400 and a cotton filler. But a good long scrubbing of lead removal made all loads close.

Owen

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Have two Rossi right now.. an older Interarms and a newer Rossi. Both shoot best with 2400. My 45's shoot the Lee 255 RFN very well made of 50/50 range scrap and WW. 17.5 grains 2400 with the Lee boolit is my average "try this load" with all 45 Colt rifles. Some like 17 grains better but one I know of liked 19 grains very much with a WW Lee.
    Have used Unique in the Rossi also. 10 grains has never caused any problems in any Rossi or Winchester 45 Colt I used in them. I also shoot it in my Dan Wesson 45 Colt. But no I would not use it in an origonal BP or 2nd model Colt SA. What I see with Unique is that boolit fit must be tight in the throats and of a stronger mix to support that more instant wack in the base.
    My Rugers digest 10 grains Unique with no problems although they shoot better with the 2400 loads.
    Have not needed to try many other powders in the Rossi as 2400 does so well. Only powder I have tried that seems to be more consitant in every aspect is 3F BP.
    Mike in ILL
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    My stainless .45 Colt 24 inch Navy Arms (Rossi) shoots hard cast RNFPs over 6.1 TiteGroup very well. Also soft cast Big Lube Boolits over anywhere from 28 grains to 40 grains (yes, one can get 40 into a Starline case, it takes a compression die and I only did it to prove I can) of FFG black. It does not handle SWCs really well, can't run the action very fast with those. It also shoots those messy Remington soft swaged RNFPs with 6.1 Titegroup or any charge from 28 to 35 FFG black and that little concave base filled with soft BP lube and a .030 Walters wad.

It will also safely digest any and all of the "Ruger and Contender" loads out there although those top loads with the heavier bullets make the steel buttplate not so much fun. Still, it sits ahint the door loaded with a max load of H110 and the 250 gr. Hornady XTP for discourage coyotes, feral dogs and tractor thieves.

I've loaded a lot of Bullseye, Red Dot and Unique but now my fun loads are TiteGroup and my serious loads are Max H110 or LilGun. I only load the max loads with JHPs so I don't accidentally get one into my Colt clones. These rifles are strong. I have loaded a three hundred grain bullet to the same velocity of that old Remington 300 grain .45-70 load that ruled the deer camps in my grandfather's day, fired 'em off and nothing was hurt but my shoulder, though I'd shoot anything up to moose with that load, assuming I was withing the capabilities of the bead front and tang rear sights. I don't do so well with the semibuckhorn factory sight. With the tang it's easy to get three-four inch groups at a hundred, it takes work to get to two inches. It can be done, though, with pretty much any good bullet over 225 grains. The heaviest I ever shot was those CPB 335 LFNs, those needed Max of H110 to shoot well and I confess to not being able to shoot very many at a session before I started to anticipate the recoil. So I don't bother with those, I was just testing. If I had a practical use for them, say a Bison infestation, I'd put one of those Limbsaver recoil pads on. Them ol' boys back in the day must've been tougher than woodpecker lips.

My light target loads are 5gr of 700X and my medium loads are 13gr of Blue Dot. I say medium power but that Blue dot gets a 250gr cast right about 1,040 fps in my 5.5 inch Ruger. I am guessing it will be around 1200 or better in a rifle but I don't a rifle yet so not sure. This "medium" load is within standard pressure limits and is cake to shoot so its made hotter loads pointless, at least for me. Anybody else tried Blue Dot in 45 Colt? I can't find anything else that gets near this power level and is still within standard pressure specs.

Reloading the 45 Colt is an adventure for sure. Big case and lots of options. Here is my 2 cents. As you can tell I am an H110 fan. This is a fantastic powder (love the smell) for the old gal, however; beware, H110 (W296) are not stable until the pressure gets to a certain point and then presto. I will give you an example. In my Ruger's as well as my Marlin's up to around 26 grains spreads are all over the place. I don't want to share the load I have settled on but I will tell you it is stout but very stable (ES 20-30). You need to work up to these type loads with extreme caution as I am sure you know. Never ever download H110. I have tried just about every powder out there over the years and for everyday loads 13.2 grains HS-6 shoots great, pretty clean, Manageable recoil (not snappy like the faster powders), Easy on cast as well as jacketed, and stable.

H110

Boolit Grand Master

Just tried some inaugural loads in the Rossi 92 45Colt I picked up yesterday. 8gr Unique under a 260gr boolit I picked up from Lizard333 in a swap. Very pleasant to shoot.
    I almost forgot what a crescent metal butt-plate was like. Reminded me of my Marlin 35Rem with a straight butt-plate I picked up years ago. My girlfriend liked it but wants something a little smaller so I guess I'm on the lookout for a Rossi 92 357Mag.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by H110 View Post
    Reloading the 45 Colt is an adventure for sure. Big case and lots of options. Here is my 2 cents. As you can tell I am an H110 fan. This is a fantastic powder (love the smell) for the old gal, however; beware, H110 (W296) are not stable until the pressure gets to a certain point and then presto. I will give you an example. In my Ruger's as well as my Marlin's up to around 26 grains spreads are all over the place. I don't want to share the load I have settled on but I will tell you it is stout but very stable (ES 20-30). You need to work up to these type loads with extreme caution as I am sure you know. Never ever download H110. I have tried just about every powder out there over the years and for everyday loads 13.2 grains HS-6 shoots great, pretty clean, Manageable recoil (not snappy like the faster powders), Easy on cast as well as jacketed, and stable.

H110
    The .45 LC & .357 Mag Rossis are sweet ! Both are low recoil and economical to load .

God bless
    Wyr

so I just gotta go here ... try 36 grains GOEX 2f in yer 45 and watch out for the stampede it will cause. also watch out for yer wallet cause you will prolly be making tracks to yer bp dealer for a few more pounds of the 2f powder.

I also shoot the 9 grains unique powder tho and it is as full power as I choose to go. I bet from a recoil standpoint that you would be hard pressed with choosing which was which between the 9 grain unique and the 36 grain 2f loads. pretty close in all respect except for the pleasant smell of burnt powder and burnt Crisco.

there I went there and im not ashamed ...

Boolit Buddy
    This question is on almost all the web sites that deal with lever guns. And their answers are all over the place too.
    I tried all sorts of loads, boolits, primers, seating depths, and so on. Finally I ordered dome 250gr rnfp .454 boolits and sat them atop 10gr of Unique. Nothing exotic, no magic formula - simply go up in boolit diameter and accuracy comes back. Our Rossi's have a fast twist, 1:16, so lighter weight cast boolits might be more accurate...will have to experiment. But try .454 diameter boolits.

Wow I forgot about this thread from last year, guess I was pretty exited about Blue Dot at the time. Its a good powder but now that I have tried many others its not usually the first one I reach for.

From what I have learned from my lever actions I would suggest (if you haven't already) trying other bullet styles before switching powders. Your gun probably doesn't like the swc design as the original charge you listed should have been an accurate one. My levers really have a preference for the RNFP design.
    Last edited by TMenezes; 09-24-2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error