Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brass cleaning.

brass cleaning.

Can someone tell me what they are using to clean 22 cases after they have removed the rim and annealed them in the oven? I have not been able to get mine clean. I am using stainless steel media and soap in a Thumblers Tumbler. It cleans regular brass very well but not the annealed cases.

Boolit Master

I have done a lot of different things. You can just tumble them in walnut hull media. I boil mine again in dish soap with a shot or 2 of vinegar (citric acid) or there is a product called lemishine its the citric acid that is the Key it will take the tarnish off the brass from annealing. You really dont have to do it pretty bullets dont fly any better.

Boolit Master
    instead of the soap use citric acid like Reload3006 said, works great.

I am running them again with some vinegar and soap and will see how it comes out. I would like for them too look good.

Boolit Master
    I always used citric acid and an ultrasonic cleaner, Youre cleaning them before you de-rim also right?

Boolit Master

I attempted to polish my .223 bullets made from .22LR jackets unsuccessfully. My problem was created when I took the jackets I had made from de-rimmed .22LR cases and placed them into the electric oven on “Self Clean Cycle” . There was film of Corbin Swage Lube (Lanolin base) still on them. I tried Ultrasonic cleaning, tumbling, Dawn Dish cleaning soap, and…. Nothing would remove the darkened spots, baked mutton. I have over 2000 jackets in this spotted/darkened condition.

Although they shoot fine; they are not pleasant appearing. Let’s face it; it’s difficult to proudly display the end results of your swaging efforts when their appearance is less BEE-U-TI-FUL than other post here on the forum.

My current thoughts are to go the other direction with these jackets. They want to be dark; well then why not help them achieve their uncooperative goal instead of fighting them? How about Blackening the bullets when completed?

My Internet research points out the following potential solutions to blackening a bullet:
    Birchwood Casey Brass Black Metal Touch – up $9.95
    Liver of Sulphur $3.76
    Palmolive Dish Washing Soap? $3.48

Anyone tried to blacken bullets? If so what did you use?

Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by tbird1960 View Post
    Can someone tell me what they are using to clean 22 cases after they have removed the rim and annealed them in the oven? I have not been able to get mine clean. I am using stainless steel media and soap in a Thumblers Tumbler. It cleans regular brass very well but not the annealed cases.
    How many are you doing per load and how long do you tumble for?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird1960 View Post
    I am running them again with some vinegar and soap and will see how it comes out. I would like for them too look good.
    Citric acid, soap and stainless steel tumbling is perfect. I do this on a regular basis with my jackets after annealing them. Add very little acid and tumble for 2-3 hours. Adding steel pins in excess (more than for cases) will clean the inside of the jackets to a bright finish. To increase the strength of the vinegar solution or the citric you can add salt, but there is no need using salt with citric acid. If the vinegar/salt solution is to strong you will see corrosion on the cases.

the pics show some OT made with .22rf cases, before and after washing

http://imageshack.us/a/img546/7592/18052008140.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img607/8728/18052008155.jpg

In Remembrance

I also use lemishine with a small mount of dish detergent. To hours and they look bright and shiny no matter what I previously did to them.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I ran them 2 hours and they are a little better but not enough to suit me. I am going to try again with more citric acid and more media.

Boolit Master
    Go to get some Lemi-Shine. I use that with distilled water in a half gallon plastic container. Shake them around a bit. Even after being annealed they turn out like this
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

If they don't get better this time I will try the lemi-shine. I have about 1000 cases and not sure how much media but I fill the tumbler about 2 inches from the top and run 2 hours.

Boolit Master
    Oh I should also add that once you have them as clean as you want do not put them in a tumbler with media that has been used. Once you throw them back in with used corn cob/walnut media the insides with get dirty with the residue from tumbled brass.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I attempted to polish my .223 bullets made from .22LR jackets unsuccessfully. My problem was created when I took the jackets I had made from de-rimmed .22LR cases and placed them into the electric oven on “Self Clean Cycle” . There was film of Corbin Swage Lube (Lanolin base) still on them. I tried Ultrasonic cleaning, tumbling, Dawn Dish cleaning soap, and…. Nothing would remove the darkened spots, baked mutton. I have over 2000 jackets in this spotted/darkened condition.

Although they shoot fine; they are not pleasant appearing. Let’s face it; it’s difficult to proudly display the end results of your swaging efforts when their appearance is less BEE-U-TI-FUL than other post here on the forum.

My current thoughts are to go the other direction with these jackets. They want to be dark; well then why not help them achieve their uncooperative goal instead of fighting them? How about Blackening the bullets when completed?

My Internet research points out the following potential solutions to blackening a bullet:
    Birchwood Casey Brass Black Metal Touch – up $9.95
    Liver of Sulphur $3.76
    Palmolive Dish Washing Soap? $3.48

Anyone tried to blacken bullets? If so what did you use?

Mustang
    Please post updates on this project.. that would be really interesting to see!

Thanks for the help fellows that last run thru did the trick. They are shinning like a new penny.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Reload3006 View Post
    I have done a lot of different things. You can just tumble them in walnut hull media. I boil mine again in dish soap with a shot or 2 of vinegar (citric acid) or there is a product called lemishine its the citric acid that is the Key it will take the tarnish off the brass from annealing. You really dont have to do it pretty bullets dont fly any better.
    Vinegar would be acetic acid.

As you said - citric acid is a far better choice.
    Rather than using some kind of pre-mixed product (like Lemi-Shime), I use pure powdered citric acid. I bought 10 lbs from a baker's supply shop for less than the cost of 2 bottles of Lemi-Shine. It'll last the rest of my life, and then some. (maybe I should sell some, so it doesn't go to waste...)
    Proud winner of February 2012's "Ugliest Gun" contest.

Boolit Master

brass cleaning.

I use lemi shine and dish soap. Use enough lemi shine, and you will turn your brass copper colored. Found this out once and was kinda surprised.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    I use lemi shine and dish soap. Use enough lemi shine, and you will turn your brass copper colored. Found this out once and was kinda surprised.
    This is why I have gone with distilled water. I used to use my tap water and they ALWAYS came out with a pinkish tint to them.

​Mentor

I use a Thumler A6, 9# cap. I use 4 cups of water, 2 1/2# of ss pins, a small squirt of dish soap & a 1/4 tsp of Lemishine, easily does 1000 jackets. Go for 2 hrs & they are shiny like new brass. PITA to separate & recover all the pins but the only way to get the jackets really clean & shiny after annealing.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

brass cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I use a Thumler A6, 9# cap. I use 4 cups of water, 2 1/2# of ss pins, a small squirt of dish soap & a 1/4 tsp of Lemishine, easily does 1000 jackets. Go for 2 hrs & they are shiny like new brass. PITA to separate & recover all the pins but the only way to get the jackets really clean & shiny after annealing.
    I use the Dillon case media seperator. Works like a charm. The slots in the case are small enough to let the pins through, but leave the the 22 LR cases behind. Takes all of a minute to sort it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin