RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting result with graphite

Boolit Master
    I have shot in a 222 Remington with 1.5 grains BE with a 12 grain 22 cal pellet that is a max charge.

One of my ingredients I put in my homemade bullet lube is a graghite that I found at work,a whole coffe can of it. I use it for lubing a lot of things. Didn't do any real testing to see what effect it had though. I just had it and thought I'd put it in with carnuba red and JPW/wolfshead red grease.Works good.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I have managed to get an Xlox/graphite coated 48 gr. Bator boolit out of the bore with 1/2 grain of Bullseye. .
    I have used that exact charge in a 1911 .45acp with the 200 gr Lee SWC with LLA. I was hoping it would just spit out out and I could pick it up. It buried it 9" deep in hardwood mulch in my wife's flower garden.

One day, I will work up the nerve to try it with 1/4 grain. One day. Not tomorrow.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    William, I bet the look on your face was a poloroid moment when that went off and the mulch scattered up. I have not worked up the nerve to try the low powder charges yet. Mouse loads do have their uses as well as "Plastic or Rubber bullets" do.
    Slugging a bbl might work well with a low load, primer charge only but I have not tried it yet.
    The sky is the limit when you cast, lube and reload your own !

I love this forum !

Mike

Boolit Master
    LLA is not a lube, per se. It is a barrier coating that tries very hard to eliminate contact between bullet and bore.

Now I got a hankerin' to do some sperimenting myself with some powder puff=like loads. Might be just the thing for the basement garage on a rainy day.

So WHY? I suppose some might ask WHY do you load cast? Why do you bother with tryin' different lubes? Why do you play with different alloys? Well, I guess it's like the lady who asked me this summer, "Why do you catch those bass when you're just gonna release 'em anyway?". The answer, "That question, ma'am, you would not understand the answer". and such is the same for askin' WHY?
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master
    Big Case + Little Bulls Eye = Predetonition ?????

No concern about this? Primer flashes over the top of the BE, pushing bullet into bore causing bore obstruction, BE ignites and all hell breaks loose?
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Big Case + Little Bulls Eye = Predetonition ?????

No concern about this? Primer flashes over the top of the BE, pushing bullet into bore causing bore obstruction, BE ignites and all hell breaks loose?
    I've done the research and established the data. I've got a photographic file full of documented targets that show what I did with very light charges of not only Bullseye, but Unique and WC 820, too. They have been posted on this forum several times over. Would you like to see them AGAIN?

You started this, not me. I'm callin' you out. Show me YOUR documented data.

Boolit Bub
    Jim glad to see you posting again, interesting stuff, sorry it has to be in defence of your experimenting. I did a little math using .5 gr. powder 100% combustion, no loss of heat, boolit still seated in cartridge, and the max preassure would be 61,343 PSI high but still exceptible, the conditions I used are a theoretical worst case and does not happen except on paper, so .5gr powder confined to 1.87cc case volumn, complete burn, no heat loss=61343 PSI. Looks to me like you will keep your fingers!!
    Recalculated using the BTUs generated with .5gr double base powder instead of average combustion temp, new #38709 PSI theoretical max pressure!!!
    Last edited by machanic; 12-02-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    It makes about as much noise as a CCI .22 CB cap.

Boolit Master
    Slugging a bbl might work well with a low load, primer charge only but I have not tried it yet.
    I have. I've slugged a 32-20 Contender with 1/2 grain of 2400 and slugged a 7mmTCU with 1.5 grains of SR4759 (because anything lower stuck the bullet in the bore). That's a very good use of resources and conventional wisdom. Abturation? Yes, at low speeds, the center of the bullet moves first, dragging the outside down the rifling. It turned a plain base into a hollow base, more or less leaving a concave base.
    The advantage is that you don't have to hammer to get the very largest size the bore will accept. It's a fair amount of instant accuracy for sizing dies and lead bullets.

Notice that I never said I've done this with revolvers or rifles, much less semi-automatics but, it has merit.

Good Luck Jim,
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas
    Jim, et al

An other source of fine graphite is your John Deere dealer. Sold to be added to the planter box of seed to lubricate the seed plates and/or other moving parts in the bottom of the box. I think that it was less than $8.00 a bottle, was at least a quart of graphite.

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...

Boolit Master

Yes that's where I bought my bottle of Graphite also, John Deer dealer...I just wanted to thank Jim from VA for sharing this info about mouse loads and graphite. Wow I would have never dreamed Graphite makes mouse loads possible. Very cool discovery. Yes of course, caution needs to be in the for front.
    I'm thinking of a little sperimenting with round balls slightly sized to .309/ a football shape and shot out of the 30-30, light coating of 45/45/10 and rolled in graphite. I'm looking forward to knocking mean/vicious pop cans down at 10 yards with very little noise.

Jim, thanks for posting this.