Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting result with graphite

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting result with graphite

I've been playing with extremely light loads of fast pistol powders in my H&R 223. I have some .225 Bator boolits that I've been messing with. I have a batch that was lightly coated with 20% mineral spirits and 80% Lar's Xlox. I put a coupla dozen in a coffee can, added a very small amount of 4X fine graphite powder and gently tumbled them to dust them with the graphite. I removed the boolits and tumbled them in a towel to remove the excess.

Next, I loaded test rounds with 3.0 down to 1.0 grains of Bullseye in half grain increments. Every one fired. I found this odd as the last time I did this with boolits coated with just the Xlox, the boolit over the 1.5 grain load stuck.

I got to wondering just how little powder I could use, so I loaded five more rounds, from .9 grains down to .5 grains in .1 grain increments. Every one fired!

I'm not a chemical engineer or a ballistician, so I don't know what to make of it. I do know, though, that it opens my window of test ranges much wider.

I went on to load five each of 1.0 grains to 2.4 in .2 grain increments. I had planned to shoot them today, but we got rain comin', so I'll have to wait.

Banned

Graphite lubes better than gummy liquid Alox. I wonder if they'd clear the barrel with just the primer?

I'm assuming you're still not getting any barrel fouling, so you might really have something for those of us who want to play with mouse phart loads where conventional lubes can be a bit too viscous.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    I did not think to comment on the condition of the bore. Thank you for reminding me of that.

I started with a clean, dry bore. After the test shots, I checked the bore thoroughly with a light. It looked exactly as it did when I started.

If anyone's interested, I just ordered a 1 lb. container of 4X fine from the GRAPHITE STORE. The link will take you to the page showing the 1 lb. size.
    Last edited by Jim; 11-12-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Uh-oh, this is bad. I've had the thought of loading unchecked Bators backwards for a 10" .223 Contender barrel and making a bb gun load for "Tactical Rodent Control".
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master
    I ran another test. .4., .3 & .2 grains of Bullseye. I couldn't get my scale to register .1, so I passed that and went to a small rifle primer only. All of the charges fired and expelled the boolit. The primer alone did not even expel the boolit from the case. I even fired another primer only, measuring COL before and after. The boolit was unmoved.

All charges were fired with the barrel elevated to about 80 degrees or so placing the charge against the flash hole.

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar
    Jim,

IMHO, you are playing with dynamite. Charges that small in a rifle case, to me, looks like
    an accident looking for a place to happen.

JMHO, YMMV

Jerry
    Carolina Cast Bullets
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Banned

That's why he's using BE. I would have thought the primer would have done more based on the previous testing with the boolits lubed in such a manner, but it just goes to show how much the powder is really doing. Good to know, thanks Jim.

Gear

Boolit Master

I've shot as low as .5 grains of Bulls Eye in the .223 using a 225415 lubed with 45.45.10 I used a small pistol primer did not size the case just knock out the primer seat a new one drop the powder charge and seat a boolit by hand. I was shooting these in a Encore which made it easy to check that the bullet cleared the barrel every shot. Offhand at 15 yards they shot was well as my 22 air rifle and just about as quite too. Have fun but do be carefull.

RB

Banned

you ever try to pull a swc from a case after it has been lubed with alox?
    i threw a batch of brand new 44 special cases away after attempting to pound them out with a kinetic puller,and ruining the tops of some of the boolits in the 0-frame.

Boolit Grand Master
    This started off as just a squirrely idea. I sure learned somethin', though!

Boolit Buddy
    Might want to take a look at this stuff:

http://sandblastingabrasives.com/Bul...rder-Page.html

I haven't had a chance to try it but apparently this is what all the high power guys are using.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to coat alot of my boolits and bullets with moly or graphite. Believe me when I say the moly does build up in the bore. It appears like the bore is really nice and clean, but take some graphite and put it on a piece of metal and rub it with another piece of metal or flat wood. It burnishes to a nice smooth shiny surface.
    Not saying this is bad just the when you have to clean the bore it takes alot of extra effort and brushing it to remove it. Fastest way I found was with JB Bore Paste.
    It does seem to lower pressures in max jacketed bullet loads from the pressure signs like case expansion and primer condition.

You are raising the muzzle to 80 degrees then lowering back down on the target?

Boolit Master

When clicking on the link for sandblasting abrasives above in Ken 73's post I got a virus warning from Avast, Be careful!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    When clicking on the link for sandblasting abrasives above in Ken 73's post I got a virus warning from Avast, Be careful!
    Norton gives it a safe rating. No offense, but I trust Norton far more than any free product. False positives are great for selling product but really do nothing for you.

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/sho...rder-Page.html

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; I tried some Catapillar Boom Lube (spray on lube for boom slides' outriggers, etc. dries to a "hard" shell). I sprayed it on some .44 Special 240 gr. AC wheel weight cast bullets, and it worked fine (S&W 629 and SS Ruger SBH). Didn't try it with Magnum velocities though). I believe it was a graphite based lube that is almost black and dries to a non-sticky coat (so as to not attract dirt and grime on boom mating surfaces).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    For several years when I first started casting I got the best groups using an old can of GI Graphite Grease and hand lubing.....
    Using these in 30-30 and .38 special. No barrel leading, but the patches were sure BLACK...
    I used a lot of Unique and Red Dot back then. Also used Hornady .310 "Rnd balls seated below the case neck opening and a small amount of Graphite Grease smeared over the ball.
    You can try some GUNSLICK, might work good too... just an idea.
    "PJ"
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Banned

Nothing to do with mouse loads but too slippery can be detrimental to accuracy.
    What is the purpose of just getting a boolit out the bore?

Boolit Buddy
    Because he can? To learn the lower limits? Because he's bored?

Matt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Graphite lubes better than gummy liquid Alox. I wonder if they'd clear the barrel with just the primer?

I'm assuming you're still not getting any barrel fouling, so you might really have something for those of us who want to play with mouse phart loads where conventional lubes can be a bit too viscous.

Gear

I don't think so.
    I use a primer only to start the slug when slugging a barrel.
    I have never seen a bullet started by a primer only travel more than a half inch.

That said, I have never tried it in a rifle.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master
    I have managed to get an Xlox/graphite coated 48 gr. Bator boolit out of the bore with 1/2 grain of Bullseye. I was not able to get the same boolit out of the bore with less than 1.5 grs. using straight Lar's Xlox. That, in itself, proves something to me about the lubricity of graphite.

I have, however, been doing more testing with graphite and continue to make progress. In comparing groups fired with only graphite added to the lube as the difference, I noticed that, at 100 ft., the POI was significantly higher and some of the groups were a bit tighter.

Keep in mind that all these groups were tested with very light charges of Bullseye. My theory is, if graphite added to the lube does provide more lubricity, I need to keep the velocity as low as possible to see the differences.

I have some more experimental loads to fire, hopefully today. I'll post the results on my photos site and provide a link.

As a side bar, somebody recently asked me why I quit posting the results of my testing here and was now posting on my photos site instead. Honestly, I got sick and tired of negative comments ranging from "You're gonna blow up your gun!" to "You'll shoot yer eye out!". And my all time favorite? "Why, what's the point?" Me thinks I'll leave it at that before my alligator mouth overloads my chipmunk behin'.