RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alloys (silver)

Boolit Bub

Alloys (silver)

Anyone know if there are any bad properties to having silver in your casting alloy in small amounts, less than 1%.

Boolit Master

Werewolfs and silver-no good.
    Lead and silver-Ok.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Bub
    Never met a werewolf, but if I did I'de be prepared, I put that under good properties. I was wondering more about hardness and fouling in the bore.

Boolit Grand Master

Rumor has it that "Oregon Trail Bullet Co." uses an alloy with silver in it.

Should make it a tick harder, may need a tad more heat to cast well but if you have Sn in your alloy don't go over 750 degrees pot temp.

Won't foul the bore unless your shooting a mild manored load/caliber and the bullet is simply too hard for the application. Silver or not that can lead a bore.

Except for the cost I don't know any reason not to use it. Hope you got a deal on it.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I got a bunch of rolls of solder from a fellow at work that are 95/5, (tin/silver). I have been using it as pure tin for all of my alloy with no ill effects so far.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Bub
    Thanks 41mag, I have about 10# stripped from stainless refridgerated serving tables, ya know, salad bars, and some still in rolls just hanging around, guess I found a use for it!
    Thanks for the info
    machanic

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 41mag View Post
    I got a bunch of rolls of solder from a fellow at work that are 95/5, (tin/silver). I have been using it as pure tin for all of my alloy with no ill effects so far.
    Did you check the content on the paper label on the spool flanges? I'm not callin' you out, I'm just confused. The thirty years I was a pipefitter, the only 95/5 I ever saw was tin & antimony. I didn't know they made a tin/silver 95/5.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I didn't know they made a tin/silver 95/5.
    I've seen 95/5 and 97/3 tin/silver in the internal search system where I work, indicating they've sold at least a couple units of it fairly recently. They also have the 95/5 and 97/3 tin/antimony, 99+% tin, and various tin/silver/copper and tin/antimony/silver alloys -- though I don't trust the prices I see, since most are out of stock and prices have changed a lot within the "recently" time frame they use.

Boolit Bub
    From the pages of a Welco catalog cerca 1977
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails page.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Did you check the content on the paper label on the spool flanges? I'm not callin' you out, I'm just confused. The thirty years I was a pipefitter, the only 95/5 I ever saw was tin & antimony. I didn't know they made a tin/silver 95/5.
    No problem, but yes that is where I got the info from. I had also contacted Bumpo and asked him to add it to his alloy calculator and it might even still be in there.

My coworker was a commercial welder / pipe fitter for quite a few years, and like rolls of Teflon tape, it just seemed to end up following him home from work from time to time. He said it was all they used in building drinking water systems when they soldered in the copper piping for drinking fountains and such. He said that the company he worked for started using it, to avoid any issues with having to rework any of the piping due to the content of the solder.

For the price I didn't argue, and sure didn't worry about the silver content, he handed me a bag of 16 rolls over for free, and said that ought to hold you a while. So far it has...
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Bub
    Mike I hope it ends up in the Calculator, silver has some interesting properties, not exactily sure how they will work out in boolits, some experimenting is in order!! The alloy I have is Welco#5 its listed in another thread in this section, its a 94% tin 6% silver.
    Martin/RI
    Last edited by machanic; 11-10-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by machanic View Post
    Mike I hope it ends up in the Calculator, silver has some interesting properties, not exactily sure how they will work out in boolits, some experimenting is in order!! The alloy I have is Welco#5 its listed in another thread in this section, its a 94% tin 6% silver.
    Martin/RI
    The 95/5 tin/silver is in there.
    You can either overwrite the numbers or add your solder in one of the custom alloy slots.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Bub
    Thanks bumpo628, now I need to find a free copy of Excell, so off to downloads!!

Boolit Buddy
    A little blurb about wetting in lead free solders from here:

http://alphacpmd.com/~/media/Files/C...rEng042309.pdf

This is one of the major differences
    between Ag bearing and Ag free alloys. Ag
    free alloys have higher surface tension at
    standard operating temperatures and don’t
    wet as well. An optimized balance of Ag and
    other additives helps to lower the surface
    tension of solder alloys at standard Pb-free
    operating temperatures. This lower surface
    tension results in faster wetting contributing
    to better hole fill and SMD soldering at lower
    contact times.

A little more about the amount of silver:

There is a significant difference
    in the wetting times of alloys with different
    level of Ag content when the test is carried
    out at 250oC pot temperature. Wetting time
    drops from ~2.3 sec to ~1.1 as Ag level goes
    up from 0% to 0.6%. A further increase in Ag
    level to 1.0% results in only a very small
    reduction in wetting time; from 1.1 sec to 0.96
    Sec.

Boolit Bub
    Lee W, a bit of a read, most nonrelivent, but a couple of good points, Cu to be avoided and %Ag should be at or below 1% although a bit above might result in a fragmentary Boolit!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by machanic View Post
    Thanks bumpo628, now I need to find a free copy of Excell, so off to downloads!!
    Download " Open Office" free from openoffice.org.
    It does almost anything that microjunk office can do and uses far less resources to operate.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for that site info lwknight, I already found Excell and loaded it on my desktop but I will try Open Office on the laptop I use as my backup!!
    Thanks
    machanic

Boolit Master

Only thing with Open Office Calc is that it won't run most Excel macros. It'll load the spreadsheet and the formulas will work, but anything that acts like a program most likely will fail.

Boolit Master
    I don't know nothing about spread sheets, 'cept what I sleep on when I'm not in the dog house but 95% silver would cost a small fortune. The 95/5 "silver solder" is undoubtedly 95% tin and 5% antimony or some such, real silver solder needs torches to melt.

Boolit Master

The 95/5 is, in fact, 95% tin and 5% silver; that alloy melts only a few degrees higher than 60/40 tin/lead solder. It's used in electronic soldering because the silver improves wetting (ability of the solder to flow onto the metal being joined) compared to 100% tin. This is important for industries that make electronics for sale in Europe, as all lead solder is banned in EU countries.

That percentage of silver doesn't kick the price of the solder up terribly; 100% tin is around $10/lb, 95/5 tin/silver is about double that (and 97/3 is more commonly used, priced in between). For mass production soldering of electronics that have to be lead free, it's a bargain, just on the basis of the lower process fallout rate.

The "real silver solder" that needs to be red hot to melt is more correctly called silver braze, these days; the filler metal used there is roundly half silver, the remainder some combination of zinc, cadmium, and tin. Tin/silver solders are similar to what used to be called "silver bearing" solders, which flow at soldering temperatures but typically form significantly stronger joins than tin/lead solders.
    Last edited by I'll Make Mine; 11-17-2012 at 08:32 PM.