WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Work Boots

Boolit Master

well redwings are made in --you guessed it. the thorogood is made in WI. Have 2 pair and like both

Banned

If you have a pair you love, bring them back to life
    http://www.resole.com/Work-Boot-Repair-.aspx

Boolit Master

I've got two pairs of Thorogoods one steel toe and one internal metatarsal both have held up very well but these are just for work. For hunting I have an eight year old pair of Danners. I used to buy Rockys before they left Ohio political or not I have no use for things made oversees I prefer to see our middle class here in U.S.A. working. FB

Boolit Master

Redwings for me
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    I plan on ordering these this week.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-brown

BTW, not all Redwings are made over seas.

Georgia boot co, usually get 3-4 years oout of them with daily wear in the shop.(auto repair). The soles are the most slip and oil restiant I have ever found. also a big fan of the titainum toe protection. Wolverene for wear outside of work.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for Redwings. They are a bear to break in, but once broke in they fit like a glove.

Boolit Master

I have a pair of Danner boots that are over 20 years old that have hiked all over Alaska Backwoods. They are ok for summer use , but I went with Hermann Survivors 4 years ago for fall / winter/ and spring use because Leather boots just dont keep your feet as warm as they do and they are lighter weight. My best winter boots are green Military Mukluks with 3 sole felts and a felt boot where I can stay out at -20 all day and have warm feet.

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master
    Hey Mooseman,

I'd take the wild guess that your Danners and those who gave the line favorable reports above were not made in China of bad leather.

I hate it when a company, known for a good product makes the choice to cheapen their name and product.

I'm not so dumb that I don't understand the need to raise prices, but cheapen your product or cut back on customer service and I'll buy somewhere else.

Since WSU is no longer buying my work boots, I'm off any Danner products, they are too cheap and I can no longer afford them!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    I've had cheap ones like Wolverines or Timberland that held up pretty well. But, they got replaced every year, and sometimes twice a year. I worked around a production facility and had to have steel toed boots and also occasionally had to work with and around chemicals; Bleach (not laundry bleach), CD-2, and Acid Stop. The bleach and Acid Stop could degrade 316 stainless in a matter of weeks.

Redwings were my 1st choice but because the boots were "safety equipment" the company paid for the boots and wouldn't spring for the Redwings.

I just bought a pair of Keen hiking boots that seem to have pretty good potential.

My cowboy boots are Nacona and the couple of pair I have left that my father made.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned

For store-bought, high-end Wolverines. They last 2-3 years consistently being soaked in gas, oil, and grease and they keep me from busting my butt on slick concrete floors. I usually wear my work boots about 325 days a year, 12 hours a day between work and home. The factory insoles universally suck on them though, I replace them with the "wanna be" orthotic inserts from Dr. Scholls to keep my plantar faci-itis (however it's spelled) under control. Got that from too many years of running.

Gear

Moderator Emeritus

I had trouble with Rocky's soles. To me they were just to slick. I have had a pair of White's Hawthorne's for four years. I got them resoled this year and some stitching done where I laid the bike down with them on. I see no reason they won't go to another resole. I am in them $280 including the resole, if I go 8 years that is $35 a year.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

My chippewa's are good tough boots. For everyday knocking around with the chainsaw I wear my timerland pro series. Nice box toe so I don't blow out a toe kicking logs to roll them down to the truck.

Banned

now that im retired usually redwings as i dont need as good of a boot. But when i worked as a lineman west coast boots were on my feet.

Boolit Buddy

duck feet

[QUOTE=waksupi;I have a hard time finding a comfortable boot..[/QUOTE]

I've been buying shoes and boots from these guys for over 25 years...pre internet sales. www.wideshoes.com/ They specialize in wide shoes so have my EEE-EEEE covered. Hitchcock makes the lasts then has noted manufacturers make the shoes. One pair of, I think, RedWing 6" work boots has been resoled 3 times with lots of life still there. I wore those to Iraq then Afghanisan twice as well as working in our Anza Borrego Desert and getting around Baja. Dad always said to spend the most money on your work boots. He was old school, as the kids say, and would walk his new boots in our stream until soaked then wear them until almost dry followed by saddle soap and neats foot oil. Not sure if that would work on newly made boots but was OK on the old stiched ones.

EdZ KG6UTS
    ....headed to Baja to annoy some fish ~8^)

Boolit Buddy

shoes b gone

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I worked around a production facility and had to have steel toed boots and also occasionally had to work with and around chemicals; Bleach (not laundry bleach), CD-2, and Acid Stop. The bleach and Acid Stop could degrade 316 stainless in a matter of weeks.
    I just bought a pair of Keen hiking boots that seem to have pretty good potential.
    Working around aircraft with arificial lubes/oils and fuel ate shoes too and really fast. Vibram just melted. The best were RedWings with an orangeish translucent sole that stood up to the chemicals and didn't feel like walking on snot. Slipping off a wing and falling to the concrete isn't a suggested practice.

I've seen the Keen hiking boots, look pretty good. The Propet hikers picked up because of being on sale and fitting have turned out to be way better than originally thought.

EdZ KG6UTS

Boolit Buddy
    I really like my West Coast Boots.

Boolit Master
    Redwings for 20 years anyway. Got mad at them for cheap leather 2 pair ago. Tried 2 "better quality" Chinese made boots but always went back to a progressively older pair of Redwings until I'd warn all my old pairs out. Wound up back in Redwing's store a year ago and this pair is holding up well. I have foot issues and Redwing knows what to do with a 12 D.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Another vote here for Redwings; most comfortable boots and casual shoes I've ever worn. I buy them at a Redwing store where they know how to fit them, and they will replace defective shoes without question if there's something wrong. The only time I exchanged a pair of casual shoes was when they developed a very annoying squeak in one shoe after a few months. All I had to do was walk around the store a bit so they could hear that they squeaked, and they ordered me a replacement pair.

For outdoor use when I didn't think I would be wading in water, I always just bought uninsulated Redwings and kept them well-oiled. When I thought I would be in water, I wore Goretex boots.

The only problem I've had with Danners is I go threw a fair amount of lases. But its the only boot I've tried that will last me a couple years. My feet sweat terrible bad and for some reason these work.

I walk through Wolverines and Redwings in about 8-9 months and that gets very expensive. I didnt know Danners were made in China though. They may be the last pair I buy.