Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: .45ACP over WST?

Boolit Buddy

.45ACP over WST?

anyone got a favorite for the 230 gr Truncated Cone (lee mold # 397-569 6 banger) over WST? i'm leaning towards 4.5 grains which is what my 200 gr SWC are loaded with. thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I was using the Lee 452-228-1R not the TC, but 4.5 grains of WST was a very nice clean and accurate load that averaged 769 fps from my 5 inch.

Boolit Buddy
    cool. thanks. i got a custom bilt springer they will be exiting from so that should work! that 4.5 load of WST works real good for me so far.

Boolit Buddy
    My records show 4.8 WST with a 230 gr for a Hardball load which should be 820 fps.
    So 4.5 gr should be a fine shooting load.

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Boolit Master
    I only run 4.2gr of WST with the 200SWC, its a very accurate load. i do not know about the 230 boolits yet. Still WST is a great 45 and also 40 S&W powder.

Boolit Buddy
    yea, i use WST for .40 S&W too. its my go-to powder.
    just popped off 4 rds in the back yard. little stiffer recoil than i want in a plinker load and the primers were a little flattened. may back off to 4.2 grs. but as is would make a great SD load.
    ROF....Retired Old Fart
    Lincoln freed the slaves, obama freed the terrorists
    the wishbone will never replace the backbone

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I only run 4.2gr of WST with the 200SWC, its a very accurate load. i do not know about the 230 boolits yet. Still WST is a great 45 and also 40 S&W powder.
    I second this. I can go as low as 3.8 grains with the 200. WST is a low recoil, accurate and clean powder.

Boolit Buddy
    just ordered another 6 banger, this time in 200 gr swc. i like the 230 gr. better, but for plinking the 200 will save me some wheelweights which are getting harder to get. and my store bought 200 gr slugs work great for plinking.
    WOOF.... what kind set up are you running w/3.8 gr WST? 18 lb recoil spring if a 1911?
    ROF....Retired Old Fart

Boolit Master

3.8 Grains of WST is my go to load with the H&G 68. You need a lighter spring. In one of my guns I need an 11 lb'er. My Para Ordinance doesn't need a spring change. It is also my go to powder in .40 with lead bullets.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    just ordered another 6 banger, this time in 200 gr swc. i like the 230 gr. better, but for plinking the 200 will save me some wheelweights which are getting harder to get. and my store bought 200 gr slugs work great for plinking.
    WOOF.... what kind set up are you running w/3.8 gr WST? 18 lb recoil spring if a 1911?

My Springfield 1911 has a 16Lb spring. I have an Ultradot mounted to the slide. Works great on Bowling pins.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 4.4 grains with a 228 TCBB. Nice and slow for competition use, around 720 FPS.

<--- In that gun. 4 1/4 barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    I run a 16 pound recoil spring. 3.8 of WST under a commercial 200 grain LSWC will cycle, but empty cases just about roll over the back of my hand. 4.1 is a much nicer load for me.

Boolit Buddy
    i also have one of those "progressive" recoil springs from brownells but haven't installed it yet in my custom springer. someday.
    ROF....Retired Old Fart