Load DataRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Lube or Not To Lube??

To Lube or Not To Lube??

That is the question. Do you lube your pistol brass? I have been complaining about how "rough" my Hornady L-N-L is to operate. Well, this past weekend I decided to give the 45 acp brass a shot of lube. Well, roll me in pigs blood and send me to a mosque, my "rough" press was glass smooth. Do any of you do this? The other thing I noticed is that without lube I have a lot of brass flecks all over my press. Once I started lubing, the flecking went away. Anyone else do this?
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Boolit Master

Nope. Carbide dies make lubing unnecessary on all my presses. I don't have a LNL, so I can't comment on it. I'm a "blue" guy.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

That just doesn't sound right.

What brand of sizing die are you using? Is it carbide or steel?

Something wrong with this picture!

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

In Remembrance
    Just like KYCaster said, I've never ever lubed a pistol case, all I own are the carbide dies. Although I remember in the distant past that I developed scratches on the cases but have since cleaned them before sizing and that took care of that. And for that just in case I do get scratches I have 000 steel wool to take care of it. That bag of steel wool has a price of $1.50 and I bought it over 15yrs ago.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    I do lube and also a blue guy using blue dies. I have an opinion that a smoothly operating press will result in more consistent powder drops. Carbide or not, I still lube with lanolin/etoh mix. Just a very light spritz.

Take care

r1kk1

I use Lee carbide dies. For me a carbide die is a carbide die. I use Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Redding and Dillon. Lee is my die of choice.
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by parrott1969 View Post
    For me a carbide die is a carbide die.
    not necessarily true. There are different grades of carbide.

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pag...de-grades.html

Take care

r1kk1

All reloading companies who make dies do not buy the same thing.

Boolit Master

I find a little sizing wax every 5 or 6 case makes sizing pistol brass much easier even when using carbide dies. It's not required, of course.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I find a little sizing wax every 5 or 6 case makes sizing pistol brass much easier even when using carbide dies. It's not required, of course.
    I roll a handful on my pad, start with two lubed cases then size the not lubed brass. When I feel it getting rough or a drag I will size one or two lubed cases. The lube is not necessary but it keeps things running buttery smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    Something wrong with this picture!

Jerry
    Possibly he went to the mosque before sizing his brass and he po'd Allah with the pig's blood.
    Last edited by azrednek; 09-11-2012 at 12:07 AM.

The "brass flecks all over my press" is what confuses me. I've never seen that.

Steel dies need lube, carbide dies shouldn't. Either one can get grit imbedded in them and cause scratched cases. (even then I haven't noticed any "flecks of brass" on my press.)

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

I never used to lube pistol cases because I have always used carbide dies, but lately I have been using Imperial lube on my thumb and two fingers I grab the empties with before I size them after 50 or so I reapply.

Le Loup Solitaire

Lube or not

Even when using carbide dies I too still lube every fifth case. It makes sizing much smoother and cuts wear on the dies. Never had any scratches or galling or any other issues. A case lube pad makes it easy. LLS

Boolit Master
    Lubing cases that have been tumbled is a very good thing. It doesn't have to be a lot but a little lube sure helps. When carbide sizers came available no one tumbled, we mostly just wiped cases off with a damp cloth so a bit of bullet lube and 'smoke' remained on the cases. That served as all the lube needed so carbide dies were sold as "no lube needed", meaning no additional lube was needed. With the arrival of tumblers that changed and adding lube does make a significant difference.

No grit is likely to get embedded in a case hardened steel die and non at all in a carbide die of any grade. What happens is dry brass rubbed hard over dry steel or carbide leaves tiny bits of the softer metal galled on the harder. Each successive case makes the galled spot worse and it shows up as scratches on cases but it's rarely due to a scratched die wall. Lube will prevent galling from occuring. Grades of carbide matters in some uses but not so much in dies, our stresses are actually quit low.

Galled brass can be cleaned out of any die in a few minutes with an electric drill and a snug fitting lap made of a split dowel wrapped with fine abrasive paper. Such a lap is unlikely to change a case hardened steel die and cannot change a carbide die at all.

Boolit Man
    "without lube I have a lot of brass flecks all over my press. Once I started lubing, the flecking went away."

Seems to me that your lube is simply masking a bigger problem. Wonder if your sizing die has some sort of defect that causing the flecking.

Shouldn't have to lube your cases if you're using carbide.

I never lube pistol brass and have never had a problem using carbide dies. I use a single stage press though.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 100% silicone spray for pistol brass, take a plastic bag spray a few squirts of silicone add brass and shake for a few min. Yes i run carbide dillon dies I know it not needed, but it makes it alot easier on my arm and shoulder when doing 2K of pistol. Silicone is inert so it wont kill primers. I leave it on the brass and go shoot.
    Go ahead and give it a try and post back if you like it.
    Coleman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by coleman View Post
    I use 100% silicone spray for pistol brass, take a plastic bag spray a few squirts of silicone add brass and shake for a few min. Yes i run carbide dillon dies I know it not needed, but it makes it alot easier on my arm and shoulder when doing 2K of pistol. Silicone is inert so it wont kill primers. I leave it on the brass and go shoot.
    Go ahead and give it a try and post back if you like it.
    Coleman
    I know it is jumping a bit off subject. When I was in the uniform business the silicone spray worked wonders on the new but stubborn heavy duty metal zippers. I'm going to try it on brass, bet it helps and thanks for the tip.

Boolit Bub
    While lubing most pistol brass is unnecessary with carbide dies, lubing the brass just makes the operation smoother. I knew one commercial loader who did exactly that and he claimed that he had faster loading rates as a result.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brghp View Post
    While lubing most pistol brass is unnecessary with carbide dies, lubing the brass just makes the operation smoother. I knew one commercial loader who did exactly that and he claimed that he had faster loading rates as a result.
    Yep, not necessary, but it don't hurt anything if you do. Occationally I'll have some .44 Mag. brass that's a little harder to size, prolly from my Puma's large chamber, so, a bit of Mink Oil Boot Dressing on every third or fourth case makes the process go quicker/easier. I reload in batches so I'm rarely in need of some sized brass quick, so a half second longer per case won't bother me at all...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Looks like we can pretty well sum it up as not being necessary but one's personal preference is the best answer if we lube, type of lube and how often. I'm still a bit perplexed on the "brass flex" and can only speculate. Possibly some residue from case trimming got side tracked. Personally I wouldn't worry about the flecking unless the same thing was happening with different sizing dies.

I'm certain however after "Well, roll me in pigs blood and send me to a mosque". You may consider asking Allah while you're at the mosque.