Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: 38spl +P brass - anything special?

Boolit Buddy

38spl +P brass - anything special?

Can I load 38 spcl +P loads in brass without that headstamp. Is there anything special about 38 special +P brass? Or is the headstamp the only difference? I'll be shooting it in a 357 mag Blackhawk, so the pistol is up to the task.
    Thanks, Jeffrey

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas
    As far as I know P+ was to tell the original owner of that brass case that it was loaded a little Hot! Same other wise.

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...

Boolit Bub
    Jeffrey I've found diffrent brands of +P brass can have thicker walls If your short on brass then load it. Sometimes it takes extra effort to load. As with all loading pick the brand brass you want to load +P in and work your load up in that brass. Every gun and every brand of brass can give different results when you start working with high pressure loads.That being said use safe guide lines and you should be ok working up +P loads in the brass of your choosing.I would load +P in brass that has only one cannuler as brass with two cannuler was laoded factory as wad cutter.

Boolit Master
    Starline indicated their standard and +P brass is identical except for the headstamp.

My .38/44 loads go into the +P just so it is recognizable to me personally.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on the vendor. I am VERY familiar with .38 Super +P brass from different makers.

Rem or PMC .38 Super +P will load until the headstamp is literally hammered off by hitting
    the ejector. Win or WW +P or +P+ brass will almost certainly NOT survive the first firing
    - same load, same gun.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Bill:

Have you made measurements on the various brands to see where they differ?
    I would be interested in how the Rem, WW, and Starline compare.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

I just use good quality mil brass for +P loads, never had a problem. Then again, I only shoot them in 357's
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Bill, that is an interesting situation! It would seem that the WW is just plain .38 Auto brass except for the headstamp then?
    I like to sepparate my brass between +p and not for two reasons, a year later if i have a bucket of +p brass, i know it had higher pressure loads through it already, and two, if i have a box of loaded ammo with +p headstamp, i know exactly what load it has in it. This is important to us as we have two .38's that are NOT rated for +p ammo.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Brass will vary from maker to maker and lot to lot, but if everything is equal, the +P and regular brass is the same, only the headstamp is different.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

In Remembrance

Back in the day I shot a lot of PPC and other types of paper punching games I would sort my brass before loading began. To this day I sort newly acquired fired brass to remove the +P and Mil. cases from my .38 Spcl. piles. I`ve noticed that wadcutters seat with more difficulty in +P cases. Been told they have a heavier case wall and are designed for "J" bullet loads.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I have an "unsupported chamber" which is just the normal chamber design used on most
    semi-auto pistols - which means that the feed ramp area has a cookie bite of unsupported
    brass, so here the brass is carrying the whole pressure load without steel wrapped around
    it.

I never sectioned the different cases, I just knew the Rem +P would last forever, PMC the
    same and WW - regardless of the headstamp - had to be culled and sold to guys with
    "supported chambers" which is a barrel design with an integral feed ramp which lets the
    chamber be less cutout and supports the case better than the conventional design.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I know when Brian Pearce wrote an article on the .38-44 and loadings for that he said that he found the .38 +P brass was not different except that he knew it was all newer than 1974. I do load my .38-44 loads in +P brass but like others that is to tell it from other loads (in addition to drawing a line across the bottom of the primer with a permanent marker).
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.