Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Off Center Pin Strike

Off Center Pin Strike

I broke out my new Remlin 1894 in 357 mag yesterday and sent a few experimental rounds down range. I noticed the firing pin strikes were offcenter, very near the edge of the primer. Out of 30 rounds or so, I had 3 FTF's which did fire when I indexed them in the chamber & offset them from the original position. I did change the spring(Brownell's kit) to lighten the lever & trigger, so I will go back and add a shim or two to increase the hammer strike pressure. If you look in the action, you can easily tell that the FP hole is off center. Is this typical or do I have a lemon? I will try to post some pics later.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master
    Several have read, I think everybody had the same thought but did not want to feel like the bad guy. Is the pin mark in same location every round? Maybe black Sharpie index and single drop for clocking in chamber. If confirmed, pull lever and bolt and you may have enough wear on bolt face for picture to see if centered on pin. Mill and drill easier to go off than lathe cut center chamber. Me one of the hard core Marlin types are praying for you brother! Gtek

I just noticed that the sights are off center on the bbl. They don't line up with the center of the receiver. The drilled & tapped holes for sight bases don't line up with the sights. It actually looks like the barrel was over tightened and rolled the sights to the left. The front sight looks like someone took a pipe wrench to it and bent it over but of course there are no marks. I called Remington and they told me to send it back for a new bbl.
    Yes, Gtek, the pin mark is in the same location. The firing pin hole is offset to the left side of the receiver.
    As of 9:00 am it will be on the UPS truck.

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master
    I am sorry to hear that. It appears you are now on the list for this Remlin **** they let out the door. I hope you addressed the firing pin issue as well in the letter. I doubt off center strike is due to barrel, even if timed incorrectly. This situation and many like it have become the norm from this outfit it appears. Quite Place, Happy Thoughts, Quite Place, Happy Thoughts, Quite Place, Happy Thoughts. Best of luck and please update us on service and turn time. Gtek

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas
    fishnbob

My 1894c has always hit the primer off center but have never had a fail to fire. Mine has a SN that begins with 97 so it would be a 2003. With the geometry of the 1894 style bolt I imagine that getting the firing pin hole to line up with the center of the chamber would be a nightmare. None the less, send it back and have them get it lined up so that it will fire reliably, not with standing all the other items that need their loving attention.

I,ve been thinking that if Marlin wanted to build a competitively priced 1894 they should go with the round bolt like the 336 with a short action for the pistol cartridge. It would more than likely bring the price down into the Rossi price range. Wouldn't have the charm that the 1894 has though.

Sorry that you are having trouble with your 1894c. It will be a fun cheep shooting gun.

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...

Well the UPS man brought my Remlin back today and they corrected the offset in the firing pin by replacing the bolt with the firing pin hole in the middle of the bolt. As far as the sights go, they look like they are centered on the barrel but the barrel and receiver don't look like they line up. I'll shoot 'er tomorrow and see what it does. They didn't say what they did to straighten up the sights, must have replaced the barrel.

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

------Babylonian Proverb

Tried Out the Remlin

I got back on the bench yesterday with my repaired Remlin that I sent back to Remington for off center sights and off center firing pin strike. They put a new bolt in it and replaced the barrel. On firing it, I found the sights to be close enough at 50 yds as I hit the 2" bullseye with both cast reloads and JHP reloads. I couldn't have been happier. I'm well pleased with the service and quick turn around that Remington provided. The rifle is a .357/38 Spc and it shot both .38's & .357 in the black at 50 yds.

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master
    Been looking to hear something, glad it turned out well after the initial let down. Now fishnbob, I double dog dare you to wear it out! Gtek

Thanks Gtek!

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Been looking to hear something, glad it turned out well after the initial let down. Now fishnbob, I double dog dare you to wear it out! Gtek
    I have been workin' on doing just that!!

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

------Babylonian Proverb