RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer controlled 1050

I would likely do it again for the display as I intend to add a few more features.

The powder check and low primer alarms are untouched except for wiring into the limit switches and removing the battery, no buzz but also no batteries to die.

GSI didn't offer a collator when I ordered my first one, and once I figured out that part on my own all of the ones I have (both GSI and KISS) have been ordered without collators.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the idea.
    I started to program PLC after seeing your video again
    It is easy to be done except some counting functions which take my time to familiarize with.

If your a PLC guy I bet it only takes a few minutes, I am not one of them. The hard part for me was to get the PLC to work with the display. Really only a latching relay and a delay off relay without that.

Boolit Buddy
    DO not worry I am not (self-educated)
    But I made your model in a few hours together with the display.
    Right now I am going to make it bullet proof before real deployment.
    If somebody is interested the best for it is Siemens LOGO together with LOGO Soft which teach you and let you everything to be done by simulation and after that just upload it to a PLC and you are good to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Here you are some easy understandable sample of the scheme.

Boolit Man
    I have a question for you rasto...
    Why have a PLC control the case feeder and bullet feeder?
    The inline switch that is already in the circuit turns off the feeder plates. I have never had an issue with any of mine.
    -Wildcat

Boolit Buddy
    Because it is fine that the feeders stop feed when are out of resources but it is nice when the press motor knows about it and stop turn.
    I made some modifications already and bought contactless switches.
    The only thing what make me wrinkles is a appropriate motor with gear head

Boolit Master
    Don't you just H-A-T-E people who can do this sort of thing, in their spare time...

Just kidding, I take my hat off to guys like you.

Rich
    Sua Sponte

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rasto View Post
    Because it is fine that the feeders stop feed when are out of resources but it is nice when the press motor knows about it and stop turn.
    I made some modifications already and bought contactless switches.
    The only thing what make me wrinkles is a appropriate motor with gear head
    If that is the case then may I offer a suggestion? I would add a second switch near the middle or bottom of the drop tube for cases and bullets to tell the PLC to keep turning. If you use the top sensor in the case feeder you will be stopping the drive motor all the time.

Yes the motors are expensive, I never did figure out exactly what motor was in the PW Autodrive so I can't help you there. However I used a Dayton DC Motor, it had enough torque to do what I wanted with some cartridges, but I think it needed a linkage redesign or something to get a bit more torque to be perfect. The nice thing is it is variable speed, you can load Pistol and rifle by just turning a dial to speed up or slow down the machine. I ended up scraping that project and went a different direction with it. I prefer programing in "C" myself, I find it very simple to read the code as if "this is true" then "do something."
    -Steve
    -Wildcat

Boolit Master
    That's as cool as can be. Very nice work.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy
    Wild do not worry about stopping the motor all the time, because as I said there were some modifications and if the bullet nor cases are not feed within 10s the motor will stop together with the feeders
    The PW is using as I thing 90W 1:60 gear ration Oriental motor with magnetic brake.

Why have a PLC control the case feeder and bullet feeder? The inline switch that is already in the circuit turns off the feeder plates.
    On mine the bullet and case sensors are there to stop the machine if either tube is empty. The limit switches on the collators only stop when the tubes are full.

I didn't want to come back to the machine to find a collator wheel turning and a bunch of primed but empty cases in the bin along with a bunch of powder. Is it easy to just look at the mirror above the collators? Sure but I was going for fool proof.

A computer is only as smart as the information you give it.

Very nice work, I'm duly impressed.

Boolit Master
    Outstanding job! This what I love about Castboolits, the talent here really gives me inspiration to attempt more challenging projects.

Boolit Bub
    jmorris did it again. It was about time somebody managed to do that here in the US, the Italians posted videos of PLC and computer run Dillons on youtube years ago.

I have a 650 and a 1050 and I wouldnt let them run on their own unless I used new brass or a well sorted same head stamp batch.

ADMIN

I am getting my shovel out and digging up a old thread.......

Did you make any updates to your original program?

I am asking because I will be spending the next few months playing with a Dillon 650 that has a PW autodrive setup on it.

I am pretty sure of the programming I want.

Inputs
    1- start
    2- stop
    3 - low primer - tied directly to switch on LP alarm - no buzz
    4 - powder issue (case) same
    5 - powder issue - supply same - using a dillon low powder alarm
    6 - case - at the bottom of the drop tube. Makes sure machine doesn't run if no cases
    7 - bullet - at the bottom of the drop tube. Makes sure machine doesn't run if no boolits
    8 - cycle switch - this is a loaded round counter - used to count primers used and overall rounds loaded.

outputs
    1 - run indicator
    2 - motor run
    3 - fault buzzer

I will use the same PLC that I used on the Master Caster and will use the same display.
    I might use a larger one that I happen to have sitting around.

Screen 1 - Title screen - only seen on start up
    Screen 2 - Operations screen - round count, primer count - toggle to turn off case powder sensor
    Screen 3 - Low Primer - this will display PINK1 and say PRIMER FAULT - will require you to push button (f5) to reset
    Screen 4 - Case powder - this will display RED and say CASE POWDER FAULT - hit F5 to reset
    Screen 5 - Supply Powder - this will display RED and say SUPPLY POWDER FAULT - will require you to push button (f5) to reset
    Screen 6 - No Cases - this will display RED and say CASE FAULT
    Screen 7 - No bullets - this will display RED and say BULLET FAULT

I am doing so many screens because its just easier for me to do it that way.
    I suppose that I could put all the faults on one screen but I am thinking doing multiple

The low primer and supply powder will automatically start once you clear the fault and hit F5
    The case powder will start after you hit F5.
    The other faults will require you to clear the fault and then hit the start button.

thats all I can think of right now
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master

Is there a patent pending?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    Patents do not prevent anyone from building or making something for their own use. You can infringe on a patent as long as you do not sell the item.

Most of the things we see made by the VERY talented people here do not have a sufficient market to justify the cost of obtaining a patent (about $10-15,000). Patents are not easy to get and just because something is "neat" does not make it patentable.

I was able to break the patent of one of our competitors and obtain a patent on my concept a few years ago. It was an expensive process and took almost two years. Luckily, our competitor did not challenge it, but he could have. So, even if you have a patent, someone will try to break it...and then you have the costs of defending it.

For the average Joe, a patent is a waste of time....most of the time.

Don Verna

Don Verna

Hatch,

I haven't don't anymore programming and IIRC even contacted you once I found out we were using the same PLC's and display's (and you knew much more than I did about programming them) as I would like to add to it. Just not enough to go back and relearn. That was the only time I messed with programming a PLC/display.

I would also add an input that would shut the machine down and alert if a Lee decapping stem lifted due to a berdan primer pocket case.

Another that would stop I'd it detects a "ringer" or wrong sized pocket.

From an input like my culler but without the "device" just the trigger portion.

Might also make one for the low powder hopper sensor, even though I don't own one.

I had the primer count automatically reset when I cleared the rod from holding the switch down.

If you need someone to test out your program let me know

Also the 1050 is pretty easy to setup because you only need to be precise on the down stroke (including primer seating depth, set with Allen wrench), because everything happens on the down stroke. Despite this I had a "time out" set between up and down so if anything malfunctioned between the two or at either end, the machine would stop.

The switch on the 650 would be better if it was precisely adjustable so you don't load up a bunch of high primers (stroke has to be "right on" ram up and ram down).

This was the first run of (and program I am still using) it.