Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer controlled 1050

Computer controlled 1050

The first run of the PLC controlled 1050 was a success. Along with the auto drive I added a PLC that controls the motor. There is an up and down limit switches that are on a clock so if the tool head doesn’t reach either in the allotted time the timer times out and stops the motor, this keeps the clutch from continually slipping if a jam occurs. I went ahead and made the upper limit switch a round counter to count the number of completed rounds.
    I then tied into the powder check die and low primer systems so the machine would halt operation if there were a high/low charge or no primers in the tube. I programmed a routine into the PLC that would count down from 100 to start with and reset every time the low primer alarm was triggered. This way all the operator has to do is fill the tube and press the run button and the screen is automatically reset..
    To finish up there will be proximity switches on the bullet/case tubes and powder measure to stop operation if any of them run low. Then build an enclosure for the PLC and display and find something else to tinker with.

Click on this photo for the video

Boolit Buddy
    Outstanding system which is fully functioning.
    Will you provide it for sell?
    Don't you know if the motor is 60 or 90 Watts version?

Boolit Master
    How ingenious!

That is just too awesome. I am amazed again.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vendor Sponsor

Now all you need is one of those nice little $300 Dillon Primer tube fillers attached to the primer tube and you could run continuous.

If you have problems with micro switch failure, look into opto isolators, which are little optical switches which are dead reliable.

I talked at length with a guy who mfgs an auto loading machine at the SHOT Show about incorporating these into his machine as he was having trouble with mechanical switches dying after less than 50 hours of use, or about 400,000 hits, he incorporated the Optos and is not having any problems with switch failure. His machine was running between 90 and 120 cycles per minute.

Yours is around 60 cycles per min? So the problem may not show up for a while or at all.

I have done alot of this type of machine design and fabrication for Gaiser Tool Co now Coors-Tek. I designed many of the automated machines that handle and process the ultrasonic bonding tools this company makes. IE the little tools that stick wires onto computer chips.

I found that any operation that you did not monitor with an input to the PLC resulted in a machine stoppage. In the case of your loader it looks like you have most everything covered but you find the all weaknesses when you run it for a long period of time. Good video!

Our production requirements were pretty stringent as we were making product for profit and any down time or scrap cut into the bottom line. The fact that the machine had to be ran by Mexican Women, and had to be nearly dead reliable made the trouble free aspect nearly manditory. It took us years to find all the good parts and to evolve the machines to where thay ran well. These machines were also doing miniscule work, as the largest part that Coors Tek makes is .0624 x .437 !

I wish I had the time to do this work again as it is very satisfying. I'm building a Jeep Scrambler from Scratch instead.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-02-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

No plans to sell them, by the time I gathered all the stuff together and tried to make a little money for the time you could find a used Camdex or ammoload.

W.R., I have a few of the "high dollar" switches but save them for important projects. With the new little girl, I only go through 20,000 rounds+/- a year at the matches and I got a case of those switches for $0.25ea but I agree they are more "high speed".

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Mate,
    There is no end to the cool on that thing. You are a genius.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Nice job!
    Performance reloading equipment.
    www.Inlinefabrication.com

Boolit Master
    VERY nice setup indeed!

Boolit Master

I'm just waiting for this guy to modify a DeLorean for time travel...for real !

Color me Green, and call me Envy - Nicely done

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    I'm just waiting for this guy to modify a DeLorean for time travel...for real !
    If we give him some encouragement....

Boolit Buddy
    Technical question.
    Is this PLC usable for this kind of purpose?
    Siemens LOGO 230RC

I'll have to admit, what I know about PLC's is in the project above and not much else. If it were not for the fact I really wanted the display I would have built it with a latching relay and a 555 timer circuit. Would have been much faster than the 3 weeks of trial and error getting everything right.

Banned

I shake my head at the genius of some on here. I cant even figure out a cell phone!!

Very, very nice indeed!

Boolit Man

Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    If it were not for the fact I really wanted the display I would have built it with a latching relay and a 555 timer circuit. Would have been much faster than the 3 weeks of trial and error getting everything right.
    Now that you have it all figured out and working. Do you still like the display? It seems like you can just look at the primer follower and see approx how many primers you have left. I do remember you suggesting a 555 to someone else asking about automating a 1050, it was years ago, but your argument for the simplicity made sense to me.

For the alarms (Primer/powder/powder check) did you just run the wires to the speaker and input that signal to the PLC?

Did GSI sell you just the toolhead and bullet insert without a collator?

Well done, and all while you were babysitting your kid. Very impressive. Makes me want to get off my behind and start programming my micro-controller.

-Steve
    -Wildcat

Boolit Man
    Truly impressive!

Boolit Master

Very impressive! I can sure understand how it must take a lot of time and tinkering.

I took some PLC and microcontroller classes, worked with them a little at work, and really enjoy it. I wish I could work more with PLCs because that sort of stuff really is my thing.