Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt Temp Fluctuations

Boolit Buddy

RCBS Pro Melt Temp Fluctuations

I recently purchased an RCBS Pro Melt and am wondering about the temperature fluctuations. I know it has a thermostat built in, but is there any way to fine-tune its temperature response?

I was casting yesterday with the pot set at about 700 degrees. My digital thermometer was showing temps as high as 740, then dropping down to about 650 before climbing back up to 740. It repeated this cycle the whole time.

If there is no way to fine-tune the thermostat, can it be bypassed so that the Pro Melt could be PID controlled?
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Boolit Master
    Mine has close to those same wild swings in temp. Can't say that I care for it much(the 'stat, not the pot, which I really like otherwise).

Using it with a PID controller should be as simple as setting the onboard control to the highest setting and plugging the pot into the PID. A PID is on my wish list, all I need is the $$$.

Boolit Master
    I just got a new one set up. Its temp setting is not close to my PID box temp measurement. I have not cast with it yet. I got it set up with PID probe and filled with lead just last night. When I cast with it I will max out its temp control and just use the PID. So the apparent poor temp control will not bother me.

When I was assembling the pour handle an obvious enhancement came to mind. I installed a compression spring on the pour adjustment bolt shaft. The spring applys pressure holding the pour handle down more than just the weight of the handle. I do not know if the unit would otherwise have a drip issue but the handle's feel when pouring is much nicer with the spring installed. Perhaps later I'll post a picture of the installation.
    ph4570

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    I just got a new one set up. Its temp setting is not close to my PID box temp measurement. I have not cast with it yet. I got it set up with PID probe and filled with lead just last night. When I cast with it I will max out its temp control and just use the PID. So the apparent poor temp control will not bother me.

When I was assembling the pour handle an obvious enhancement came to mind. I installed a compression spring on the pour adjustment bolt shaft. The spring applys pressure holding the pour handle down more than just the weight of the handle. I do not know if the unit would otherwise have a drip issue but the handle's feel when pouring is much nicer with the spring installed. Perhaps later I'll post a picture of the installation.
    Please do. I may copy your spring idea. I love the pot, just not the wide temp swings. I already have a PID I was using with my old drippy Lee pot, so I will probably just try it with the RCBS set to max and see how it works.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Boolit Master

Pics added

The spring notion:

PID probe mount:

Mr. PID
    ph4570

Boolit Buddy

Very Nice!

Set my RCBS up with my PID tonight. Turned the RCBS dial up to max and plugged in to PID. Temp was holding +/- 2 degrees from where I had it set. I REALLY like the RCBS Pro Melt now!
    Last edited by mktacop; 07-12-2012 at 09:48 PM.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

Boolit Master
    My pro melt also shows sizeable fluctuations in temp. It is certainly better than my Lee 20# pot but I run both on PID now. I like the spring loading on the arm! My pro melt does drool a little, I'll give that spring a whirl.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is a post I did in 2007 about the RCBS thermostat.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...37&postcount=8

I went to PID control pretty quickly after starting this hobby.

Boolit Master
    I did some casting last night with and without the spring pictured in my post #5. While there was no dripping without the spring (did not expect it with a new machine) the handle operation feel is much better with the spring. Also I suspect the spring will help discourage any inclination of the beast to develop the drips.

I cranked the thermostat all the way up on the Pro-Melt and let the PID do its thing. I had been using the PID on a Lee 20#er for a few years. Not sure what I will do with the lee. Maybe seal off its bottom pour and use it for ladle pour. I have a couple of molds that seem to prefer ladle pour.
    ph4570

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mktacop View Post
    Very Nice!

Set my RCBS up with my PID tonight. Turned the RCBS dial up to max and plugged in to PID. Temp was holding +/- 2 degrees from where I had it set. I REALLY like the RCBS Pro Melt now!
    OK Buddy.....parts list....gotta stay with ya on the mods...LOL

wyman
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by wymanwinn View Post
    OK Buddy.....parts list....gotta stay with ya on the mods...LOL

wyman
    email coming to you.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

Boolit Master

I like the spring idea, probably completely unnecessary but gives a better more positive feel.

Only thing I wonder is if the heat will cause the spring to fade in short time. When I get my own spring, I'll find that out!

The spring notion:

PID probe mount:

Mr. PID
    where does one get a PID? and a spring kit??
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Moderator Emeritus
    Frozone does PID kits, just ordered mine.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=155381

Springs I've got from any DIY/hardware shop.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gandydancer View Post
    where does one get a PID? and a spring kit??
    You local hardware store should have a selection of springs.
    ph4570

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mktacop View Post
    I recently purchased an RCBS Pro Melt and am wondering about the temperature fluctuations. I know it has a thermostat built in, but is there any way to fine-tune its temperature response?

I was casting yesterday with the pot set at about 700 degrees. My digital thermometer was showing temps as high as 740, then dropping down to about 650 before climbing back up to 740. It repeated this cycle the whole time.

If there is no way to fine-tune the thermostat, can it be bypassed so that the Pro Melt could be PID controlled?
    It is normal for heating elements to work this way when governed by a thermostat.
    The closer the tolerances the higher the cost.
    My guess is that it is piratical for casting lead.
    I never notice swings using my old Lyman mould master 1,000 watt or my Mold master 850 watt.
    Might be my thermometer has smaller numbers.
    Last edited by Silver Hand; 07-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have had a good pyrometer (thermometer) for a long time and knew that my Pro-melt had a pretty sizeable dead band. It didn't matter until I got some 4c aluminum molds. I think that the 'sweet spot' is more narrow for 4c aluminum molds (especially hp) and the PID definitely makes life easier. I think for my 1 and two cavity iron/meehanite molds the pro-melt was just fine without PID. I cast a lot of bullets over the years with the Pro-melt before the pid came along.

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    Frozone does PID kits, just ordered mine.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=155381

Springs I've got from any DIY/hardware shop.
    Thanks kindly sir.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Mold
    Plug your pot into a 1000 Watt dimmer switch and either bypass the factory thermostat or leave it maxed out on high if it will get you to 800 or past it. The dimmer switch provides a constant amperage and thus a constant tempreture.

J.Louis

WOW what a great idea, inexpensive and accurate at the same time.