Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Temperature sensor placement

Boolit Mold

Temperature sensor placement

I am in the process of making a heated base for my star. I see that mktacop drilled and tapped the brass inspection plug for it but I would like to hear where others have put it. I am a little hesitant to drill and tap into the sizer. Can it just be wired against the side? Anyway, please respond to where and how you installed the sensor. Thanks to all!
    Ron

Banned

I put a small RTD sensor against the back of the main tube Just above the base.
    I held it in place with epoxy 'putty'.
    I can break it loose with a hammer if I need to without leaving a mark and I didn't modify the star.

I'm sure the sensor straight into the lube is a more accurate method, but Most people are using K type TCs, and those are only accurate to a degree or 2.
    The RTD is accurate to ~ .1 degree.

By the time the tube 1 1/2" up gets heated to temp, the lube inside is likely very close to the same temp - I'd guess. I'm not curious enough to measure it.
    After all the lube is in contact with the AL base of the star, same as the steel tube.

Boolit Buddy

I used an RTD sensor as well....just FYI to the OP
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

I did use a K type sensor and yet, it works just fine at keeping the temp regulated.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys. I am going to at least start using a K sensor just because it came with the controller. I lean towards wiring it up against the sizer temporarily and see if that works before doing something permanent. I'm thinking on the barrel as Frozone did. Any other thoughts out there?
    Ron

Banned
    I drilled the home made aluminum base for my 1/4''x 4'' heating element as well as the 1/8''x6'' sensor. My heating element is pinned in place and has a Neutrik Speakon NL4FC connector for quick disconnect from the PID control unit. This makes the PID usable for other duties such as control of my caster pot. My sensor has a socket on it also so that it will unplug and stay with the heated sizer base.
    An extra identical temp sensor is mounted on my caster pot.

Boolit Master
    I'm going to use this little $24 thrmometer on my Star. I've used dozens of these on motorcycles and hotrods to keep track of various temperatures here and there.

-56 to +302 with 1/10 degree accuracy should do it!

http://www.aerostich.com/mini-remote-thermometer.html

Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    I'm going to use this little $24 thrmometer on my Star. I've used dozens of these on motorcycles and hotrods to keep track of various temperatures here and there.

-56 to +302 with 1/10 degree accuracy should do it!

http://www.aerostich.com/mini-remote-thermometer.html

Neat looking set up! Where and how do you intend to mount the probe/pickup?
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Master
    Not sure how I'll mount it. I have a Lyman heated base under my STAR. I will figure out a way to drill a hole somewhere fir the probe.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Buddy
    I mounted a small RTD just behind the sizing die. There is a small section of flat area that I placed the RTD with a dab of RTV.
    I have done two of these, (Mine and a casting buddy.) along with 80 watt cartridge heater replacement.
    Both are doing great.

Boolit Mold
    It sounds as if it doesn't really matter where you put the sensor. Once you figure out what temperature you need at the particular place you attach it and just repeat that temperature reading all the time.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by simsra View Post
    It sounds as if it doesn't really matter where you put the sensor. Once you figure out what temperature you need at the particular place you attach it and just repeat that temperature reading all the time.
    Ron
    What you say makes perfect sense, but, the question I asked was 'How?" One can imagine that he might drill a hole in either the sizer or the heated base etc., but that then begs the question of whether he would drill the hole deep enough to contain the entire length of the probe, or just some portion thereof. Or, maybe he will come up with something altogether different.

I really would like to know how he ultimately gets it done.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Mold
    my probe is only one half inch long so it would be no problem mounting it in the three quarter inch base. I kind of like where Lee W put his though. I've been kind of busy these last couple of weeks and haven't been able to look at it much. I'm still leaning toward temporarily putting it in a couple of places and seeing what works best.
    Ron

Boolit Mold
    my probe is only one half inch long so it would be no problem mounting it in the three quarter inch base. I kind of like where Lee W put his though. I've been kind of busy these last couple of weeks and haven't been able to look at it much. I'm still leaning toward temporarily putting it in a couple of places and seeing what works best.
    Ron

I made my own heated base for my star and recessed a cartridge heater into the bottom of the base for heat and the temp probe into the base on top touching the star itself. When testing I had another thermometer stuck into the lube in the reservoir without the spring in place to check my readings. Heater is towards the rear of the base and probe is by the die.
    Dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

I just clamped the probe next to the sizer onto the alum heater. Exact placement or temp isn't needed, just being able to repeat your setting is all that is desired.

Boolit Mold

Smile

That is what I decided to do. I am getting super busy with other stuff so I'm thinking it may be a week or two before being able to test it out. It can be a real problem with other things getting in the way of important stuff like reloading and shooting.