MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 Gold Coins

Boolit Master

100 Gold Coins

We don't really have a place for components so I picked this one.

I occasionally see questions asking about the quality of Star-Line brass.

I just bought a box of 100 .44 special cases from Midway. Less than 20 dollars delivered. That is cheaper than once fired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star-line-44-special.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	44365

Are they Jewells? or what?

Not one dented case.
    Not one dented or nicked mouth.
    Not one less than perfect primer pocket.
    Not one less than perfect flash hole.

Here are the specs:
    Average Wt 101.18
    Std Dev 0.23
    Max 101.70
    Min 100.80
    Variation 0.90
    Variation % 0.89%

That is good QC
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Love Life
    I had nickel plated 454 casull brass from Starline. After 7 full power loads/reloads the cases were still going strong.

My Starline 357 mag brass is just as good. For the price it is hard to beat starline.

Boolit Master

They are purty for sure. Back in my heavy range scrounging days, I had a pretty good stash of 9mm saved up and visited the local gunshop. That was before the glut of 9mm and .40 S & W days and they needed 9mm. I scored 1100 rounds of once fired .44 Special in trade. Not having a .44 Special at the time, it was FL resized, tumbled and placed in a .50 can for future use. Along the way, it was augmented by range pickups. When the Lipsey's .44 Special came to the place, it was there waiting to be loaded./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I have a buddy that swears by starline brass(454 and 45lc). I bought some for my 41mag, not so happy. Most of the brass was below "trim to length". I checked the website and it is stated that the length tolerance per startline is below "trim to length".

Other than that little tid bit, the brass was packaged good, looked good, a little heavier than my normal brass, and all within startlines tolerance.

Boolit Buddy
    I have become a big fan of Starline brass over the years and it is now my first choice.

In my last two trips to the range I have found 49 starline .45 colt cases in perfect shape.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Met up with a SWAT team at the range a couple of weeks ago. Went home with 200 Federal Match 308 cases
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Starline is my first choice for any of my revolver reloading. Been using it for years and still have all of my 45 colt and 44 mag cases that werent ruined by some action of mine. Great stuff and hard to beat the price anytime.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    I have become a big fan of Starline brass over the years and it is now my first choice.
    I agree completely!!!

As far as "trim to length" I am not too worried if it is a few thou short, main thing for me is it is the same and square so that my crimps are the same.

Over the years, and many different kinds of revolver brass, I have seen a lot of "short" brass even from a box of new factory ammo, sometimes up to half a box of 50. I just trim to the same length and load 'em and avoid mixing them up later. (labels and records, your best friends)

When I get a box of 500 new cases I trim them to the same length before I even load them. With Starline I have never had to take more than.005 to make them all the same.

Boolit Buddy
    Starline "is gud folks"--lol. They sent us a gift certificate for the last gathering. Will be buying my brass from them.

Boolit Grand Master
    The fly in the ointment for me with starline is the short varying lengths. I bought 500 nickel 38 cases and loaded up a couple boxes of WC ammo for old times sake. When I got to the range, I noted some rounds felt weaker than others and there was noticeable vertical stringing. Looking at the cases of the unfired rounds revealed the culprit.

Some cases were clearly more heavily crimped than others.

Some time measuring 50 cases out of the remaining cases revealed that none of the cases even measured as long as the recommended trim length--1.149"--and not only were they short but they ran from 1.136 to1.148 with most being 1.140- 1.143. The max length for 38 Special is 1.155... 12 thousandths variation in length, 12 thousandths under design max length. I guess thats "Quality".
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I use them exclusively, unless they don't make them of course. Mostly though, I do find them a wee bit short of overall length. Never been a problem though. It sure cures the 'that's my brass mister', at the range.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I bought 800 44 Specials to run through my 1894 Marlin. Good Brass, no problems.

It is popular here, but probably less so than in teh States because we cannot buy it direct. It is only sold through gunshops in hundred lots, so no real advantage in buying it over other brands. Winchester brass, ammo and powders have always been the most popular here as they have always been available when the others wern't.

I use Winchester brass in my 44/40s and 45 Colt, 38Specials, 9mms and 38Super and 45ACP. When I'm about 104 years old and finally use up the huge stock of brass that I have I will give consideration to more Starline brass! HaHa!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I bought 500 10mm and about half of them were longer than max COAL and I have had to trim them. Very time consuming to do. The 45lc and 357 that I had bought previously were top notch.

Boolit Buddy

I've been pleased with the quality of Starline and Hornady brass but sure do prefer Starlines price. All of my recent brass purchases have been Starline...in .38 spl, .357, .41 .44 spl and mag, .45 ACP and Colt, .454 and .475.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    My sentiments exactly AK Caster
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Same here as most of you, StarLine is my first choice. First rate quality in every respect. My second choice when buying new brass is Top Brass - it is very high quality tough brass as well.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

I was pleasantly surprised when I went into the Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse websites and found Starline brass to be a couple bucks per hundred cheaper than either Remington or Winchester brass. No love lost here on that.

Nice thing about buying Starline, if you buy it direct, there is free shipping and even cheaper prices than the LGS offers.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both
    Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master
    When I opened my first box of Starline 10mm brass I heard angels singing softly as the divine golden glow shone upon my face. I was overcome and wept like a little girl. I still have an unopened box. I can't bring myself to open it. I am not worthy. The need is not yet great enough. The first batch is still perfoming admirably.

Oreo, that's just beautiful man. Let it out you are among friends.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.