Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom order from Lee contemplated

Custom order from Lee contemplated

After successfully shooting 429-214-SWC cast of WW in a Ruger RH and getting no leading, I wanted to order the same in a 6-cavity configuration.

Lee wrote to me about the costs:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Precision
    For 2012, the setup and tooling charges for customs molds is $175, plus the cost of the mold $53.
    Is anybody else interested in a 6-cavity 429-214-SWC? We could have a group deal and split setup cost.

Boolit Grand Master
    Put it down on GB suggestions and see if you get enough hits to order this mould

Boolit Master
    I have that DC mold and have used Lee six cavity molds...I do shoot a lot of them and IMHO the cost to get a custom six cavity mold is simply prohibitive. Perhaps you can try two seperate DC molds....you'd get nearly the same no. cast as with a six cavity...in fact with my DC I can get almost 400 a hour (that's about one every 9 seconds)...IMHo that's quite a very high yield rate.

Boolit Master
    Last time I looked, Lee had suspended their custom mold manufacture until sometime in early 2013.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Perhaps you can try two seperate DC molds....you'd get nearly the same no. cast as with a six cavity...in fact with my DC I can get almost 400 a hour (that's about one every 9 seconds)...
    I don't see how I can double the speed with 2xDC! My casting speed is already only limited with having 2xhands.

Another option I am considering would be to order one more mold: that same bullet but with 1 more driving band added, which by my calculations should drop 260-270gr boolit.
    These two should cover all possible uses of RH.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    Last time I looked, Lee had suspended their custom mold manufacture until sometime in early 2013.
    That is what "Pete" at Lee Precision told me in a telephone conversation around a week ago, as well.

In the email that I received they simple said they could make a custom mold for the price quoted above, no mention they suspended custom orders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I don't see how I can double the speed with 2xDC! My casting speed is already only limited with having 2xhands.

Another option I am considering would be to order one more mold: that same bullet but with 1 more driving band added, which by my calculations should drop 260-270gr boolit.
    These two should cover all possible uses of RH.
    You cast in one set it down to cool, pick up the 2nd one, cast and set it down, pick-up the first and dump bullets, cast a new batch....it goes very quickly...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    In the email that I received they simple said they could make a custom mold for the price quoted above, no mention they suspended custom orders.
    Better go and do a search on here about doing a GB using Lee. Po'd alot of folks off on here, Lee requires the money up front, then it could be a year before you get the mold and from some searches i've come across, the GB molds were not up to snuff for the money paid.

You'd be better off to talk to Tom at Accurate molds and see what he can do. Quality would definitley be 1000x's better

Boolit Master

Rather than bothering with Lee, and their long waits, and special charges, why not have Accurate Molds make a copy of that mould for you? If you're looking for lots of cavities he can make you a 5 cavity aluminum mould, or you could get a 4 cavity brass mould which IMHO would be the better option ( I prefer brass moulds and would happily give up one cavity to get a brass mould). While you would be one or two cavities less than a Lee mould, if you order it today, within 2 weeks or so you'll have the mould in your hands! In the same amount of time with Lee, they'll be thinking about sending out a confirmation letter requesting the deposit on the custom mould. Considering that Lee makes that mould already in a two cavity mould, I think it's crazy that they want to charge so much too make a six cavity mould! For the amount of money Lee is asking to make a single six cavity mould you could get 2 brass mould from AM, without having to try and get anyone else to buy any.

And this doesn't even count the fact that the mould from AM will be made to drop boolits exactly the size YOU want, with the alloy you want to cast them from. And they'll be round, right from the mould.

I just now noticed that '41 Mag Fan' already suggested AM to you, so consider this a 2nd on his recommendation. Sometimes feel like I'm a salesman for Tom, as I recommend his mould making services a lot, but I don't make a dime if you buy a mould or not, it's just that his moulds are THAT good.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    What the others have said about Accurate molds is spot on.When NOE changed the way they run their group buys I went to Accurate and had the mold I was waiting on made and in my hand in less than 2 weeks for not much more money.....Terry

PS............This is not a put down on NOE...... He did what he had to do to stay in business and he make a very good mold also.I have more of his molds than Accurate molds.

What I have decided to do (and because I am addicted to spending money) is get a few moulds of different designs and weights for each gun, meeting two parameters.
    1) I need an accurate hunting boolit
    2) I need an accurate Plinking boolit

so, I look for a heavy for caliber hunter (except for the larger calibers, where any reasonable weight is adequate), and a light for caliber plinker.

When I finally get around to finding what works, I will sell off the others, and buy new/others for new/other guns

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Lee waive the set up fee if you order 20 or so moulds don't they?

By the way, the two mould set up is a lot quicker. Until you guys got me into six cavity Lees, I always bought two of new each mould.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Early 2013 is only a couple weeks away!

A Lee buy would be very educational for some.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Educational may be the understatement of the year. Those who complain of long waits for NOE and Mihec buys don't remember the days of Lee buys. Wait a year and then pray rings were to speck. All this with money sent in upfront.

Dunno about now, but 5-6 years ago I was getting custom molds from Lee within a month from a charge on my CC.
    Those were the days when Pat was there and Lee's daughter wasn't. Since then I did not place any new custom orders.
    One member here, who helped me with 458 SOCOM crimp die order should remember that. Unfortunately I've forgotten who he was.

I waited so long for a couple of group buys, I had absolutely no memory of ordering two that turned up in the mail. I suppose I ordered and paid for them, lol. A lot turned up that I had forgotten about until they arrived.

Of the two that I couldn't remember, I managed to work one out, the other, who knows??? It was a pointy 38 with a huge lube groove. I didn't have any 357/38 SA revolvers at the time, I can't imagine why I ordered it. But I have since bought the wife a pair of SASS Vaqueros.

Yep, the waits were longgggggggggggggg, lol.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Got a 5 cavity 430220C from Accurate. Looks very well made. Will be casting first batch tomorrow. Anything I should be on the lookout to?
    Attachment 55788
    Looks pretty decent to me.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 12-12-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Boolit Master
    From Tokarev I don't see how I can double the speed with 2xDC! My casting speed is already only limited with having 2xhands.
    Glad you got what ya wanted. But back to this point about two molds, lots of us here run two molds some guys run 3 and I'd bet more than a couple have tried running 4. I run 2 most every time I cast unless I'm Casting HP or a 6 cav. Most of the time when running 2 molds I'm running more than one cal. and or style. It is faster I'm not sure if it's twice as fast but definitely faster than just running one. as you have no down time cooling sprue for cutting. Just something you might want to experiment with some time. Dennis
    Dennis Eugene "You know why no one panic buys 30-06? Because people who shoot 30-06 don't panic"

HaHa! I love your signature line Dennis,

Dennis Eugene "You know why no one panic buys 30-06? Because people who shoot 30-06 don't panic"

My license plates on my Landrover are SP3006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast