Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Cleaning off Swage Lube?

Boolit Master

Cleaning off Swage Lube?

So I have found that just tumbling does not clean all of the swage lube off 22lr cases when swaging. What are you guys using to clean them off?
    Last edited by Utah Shooter; 04-24-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

In Remembrance

Clean? I just load them and shoot. Are you being too fussy?

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    Clean? I just load them and shoot. Are you being too fussy?
    Not too fussy at all. I am just going to put in the most effort that I can to make these as accurate as possible. I know that you shoot yours out of a fully automatic rifle. I can see why you would not put fourth the effort.

I however want to be able to shoot dimes consistantly at 100 yards.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    He said cases not bullets.

I use acetone.

Vendor Sponsor

I use mineral spirts.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Banned

what are you using for lube?
    i use lanolin and castor oil.
    lanolin is soluble in rubbing alcohol.
    a little in my tumbling media gts things back to clean.
    then a trip through the other media with some nu finish in it, adds a little shine.

Boolit Master
    Straight lanonlin for now. Need to get some Castor Oil. I let it soak in rubbing alcohol for about 10 minutes the other day and nothing came off of them. How long do you let yours sit?

​Mentor

Vendor Sponsor

For me and my mix of lanolin and castor oil a simple submerge in mineral spirts with a bit of agitation then dump on a old bath towel. Make a hamock out of the bath towel with brass inside and couple back and forth motions then left to dry. Works for me.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

In Remembrance

my swage lube is lanolin (Randy Rat's the guy to see for the lanolin) and Militec-1. Slickest swage lube you could ever hope for.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    my swage lube is lanolin (Randy Rat's the guy to see for the lanolin) and Militec-1. Slickest swage lube you could ever hope for.
    That is where I get my Lanolin from.

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    I shake them around lightly too usually the acetone or rubing alcohol will take it off. Are you using 99.9% or the 70/30 stuff? The 70/30 alcohol does not work as well IMO, the 30% is water.

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=96820

I will do some more tonight and see if rubbing alcohol works for a bit longer with agitation.

​Mentor

Banned

you'll feel when it comes off.
    i add the 90% to my tumbler and run it for an hour or so then another hour in the other media with some nu-finish.
    they come out pretty clean.

one thought though, are you annealing with a torch?
    and is that color what isn't coming off?

Boolit Master
    No I am annealing in my oven. They do come out almost nickel colored though. Tumbling or Lemi-Shine takes that off.

​Mentor

Boolit Master

after I de-rim i wash mine in Methyl Ethel Keytone... MEK make sure to use good barrier gloves as the MEK will take the oil out of your hands too. Also its a known carcinogen but it does what it does very well.

Boolit Buddy
    Gang,

Just a word of caution that all of the VOC's mentioned above are highly flammable, should be used in a well ventilated (outside) area, and the user should avoid breathing the fumes. There are a couple of others that are effective including Methelene Chloride and Trichloro Ethelene.

Martin

Boolit Buddy
    I use either Acetone or Isopropyl (99% stuff) Regular rubbing alcohol will not work. I usually put them in a bath towel first and fold it over and rub around first to remove a majority of it. I then pour the Acetone/Isopropyl over it in a container and adgitate a little. Then strain off the acetone/isopropyl and lay out to dry on a towel.
    Bret

I just use hot soapy water (Dawn dish soap works well). Lanolin with castor oil is my lube, and are soluble in hot soapy water. No toxins, no fumes, no fuss. Drying can be in the oven or a few hours in the Texas summer sun. The sun down here WILL get that brass case hot enough to put a mild burn on your fingers, so be careful with picking them up before taking them inside the house to cool off for a while.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished