Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP mold build success!

Boolit Grand Master

HP mold build success!

I keep hearing about how great a HP mold is, so I decided to try it. I made the cherry by eyeball, using half of an RCBS mold as a rough guide as I made the ogive profile. I used 303 SS for the HP pins and just eye-balled them too. The result was a 229 grain HP that feeds great. I flew a few hundred of these this last weekend and I didn't have a single jam. My buddy ran some through his Glock without any problems either. I just had to share:

No vent lines. I thought I would try it first and see how it did. I could always add the lines later. As it is, I am getting perfect fill-out.

They drop out @ .455 on the base, and about .447 just above the lube groove. After a quick pass through the Lyman 450 with a .4525 sizing die, this design matches my 1911 chamber very closely. I was quite pleased with the accuracy I was able to achieve at 30 yards. (minute of pop-can for sure)

These babies open up like an umbrella upon impact. Not quite a devastator, but I wanted to keep the mushroom tight so that I can carry them in the winter also.
    With a 4 cav., I can sure pile 'em up in a hurry! You will please pardon the frostiness? I was casting in the dark by the light of a street lamp, so I was unaware that I was running a little bit too fast. Oh well, the target wont know the difference!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Tim,
    Very, Very Cool!!
    I like the idea of a 230 grain .45 ACP HP better than the 200 or 185 grain HP
    Good going, jmsj

Boolit Master

Tim very nice. The size and depth of the HP seems to be just right. It looks good and from your report they work good. Good job.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice!

Banned
    i want one!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

It's not quite finished yet, I still have to round the corners, polish it up, and stamp some info on the side of it, but none of that stuff is going to make it work any better.
    I dont know if I will go with that style of HP holder in the future. Its heavy, hard to clean, and very time consuming to build. I put way to much time into this mold. I'm going to keep experimenting and see if I can get any better at this.

Boolit Master

Haha very nice! We need exspansion tests next my friend....

Boolit Master

Wheres the group buy list? LOL

Boolit Master
    That mold looks fantastic. Can we possibly see a picture of the cherry?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    I LIKE IT! wish i had the money to have you build me one.

Boolit Master

Outstanding, Tim!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Nice job Tim. Looks like you're getting the hang of this deal !!! Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    I dont know if I will go with that style of HP holder in the future. Its heavy, hard to clean, and very time consuming to build

The only thing I have used to cast HP with is the removeable pin Lyman style, so any type of multiple cavity HP looks to be a very big improvement.

I am not sure how else you could do the pins, maybe on a flat plate attached to the bottom of the mold blocks? For an example see the little Italian minie ball molds, they are slow, and I think to get enogh steel to hold its shape, it would weigh more than your round rod and possiblty take more time to machine the camming cuts.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Well, it beats the heck out of the dovetail holder I had on the hollow base rifle mold that I built, but it sure gives a lot of surface area for a stray speck of lead to stick to. I have to tap the mold once its together to get it to fully close. I think the basic idea is sound, but next time I'm going going to ream the hole for the HP bar about .005 oversize. Right now, everything fits so perfectly that I had to use it quite a bit just to get it to quit sticking in the closed position. I have a bad habit of assuming that tight tolerances are better. If I was to build an engine block, you would have to fill it with sewing machine oil, and it wouldn't turn over for the cylinders ringing to the pistons.
    I went back into the mold and honed out the holes and chamfered the edges real well, then it started running a lot better. Also, I made the pivot bushings exactly .001 taller than the sprue plate thinking that was plenty of clearance. Yeah right! I went back and made a split washer to give the plate a little spring tension and it started working a lot better. It's truly amazing how much aluminum grows with heat. I am redesigning my hinges so that they will use a wave washer or a lock washer or something to give some "springy" to the plate. It may be just a better mouse trap, but I want to come up with my own unique system just as a matter of course.

Boolit Man
    WOW, that looks nice.

I have a Magma Engineering mold with a coil spring for the sprue plate on the bottom of the mold.I really like that setup.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Buddy
    Mihec uses two siding pins through one of the mold halves for his HP pins, and NOE uses something like a sliding/tilting plate that is bolted to the bottom of the mold. I don't have an NOE HP mold, so I'm just going off what I've seen in pictures.

As for the sprue plate hinge, both use a wave washer. The washer Mihec uses is quite a bit bigger.

Tim,
    Hats off to you, that is a beautiful job for sure. Hope to see more results and pictures!
    Keep it up and a "group buy" could be in your future......

Pete

Tim, really great work, as usual. Those boolits should perform really well. Keep us up to date on how the refinements work out; from the looks of it you may have found a second job!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Grand Master

Pretty slick and a very nice job of machining!

Range reports?

Photos of expanded boolits?

We're waiting!